Australian minister resigns over alleged website date on Hong Kong trip

webfact

Australian minister resigns over alleged website date on Hong Kong trip

SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian government lawmaker on Monday resigned from Cabinet over a media report he used a website to meet a younger woman while on a Hong Kong work trip -- overshadowing the government posting the best financial outlook in 10 years.

Australian Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said he accepted the resignation of Andrew Broad after New Idea Magazine ran an interview with a woman who alleged she met the married Broad at a Hong Kong restaurant last month.

"Due to the nature of the allegations made, it is appropriate for Mr Broad to resign as the assistant minister to the deputy prime minister," McCormack said in an emailed statement. Broad will remain on the government backbench.

A spokeswoman for Broad did not immediately respond to requests for comment. New Idea published Broad saying: "This matter has been reported to the Australian Federal Police and I will not be making any further comment".

New Idea ran an interview with a woman called Amy, who alleged Broad maintained a profile on a website, which it said was used by wealthy, older men to meet younger women, but it did not name the website.

It said Amy was 20 years younger than Broad.

Amy said she agreed to meet Broad at the Hong Kong Restaurant for dinner but left because she did not like his behaviour, New Idea reported.

Broad's resignation came just hours after the government forecast the strongest budget outlook in 10 years, arming Prime Minister Scott Morrison with a war chest large enough to allow for possible tax cuts ahead of an election in less than six months.

Morrison's minority government must return to the polls by May 2019, with opinion polls strongly favouring the opposition Labor to easily win the election.

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-17

Just who it was that made the police report is clearer here:

"In response to New Idea's story, Mr Broad said Amy "may have engaged in criminal activity" and he had reported the matter to the Australian Federal Police"

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/nationals-mp-resigns-after-sugar-baby-claims/news-story/1247c5810d78d573fc7e9ab0f5fc5e6d

• Like 1

Most Australians couldn;t care less. It is just unfortunate that the PM is a hillsong god botherer. He holds his seat by 20 percent so he will not lose his seat. The ABC news gave the website as Sugardaddy, Showed a picture of the tart. They could try making her out as a homewrecker to stop these bitches making from a simple dinner.

1 hour ago, ronrat said:

Most Australians couldn;t care less. It is just unfortunate that the PM is a hillsong god botherer. He holds his seat by 20 percent so he will not lose his seat. The ABC news gave the website as Sugardaddy, Showed a picture of the tart. They could try making her out as a homewrecker to stop these bitches making from a simple dinner.

Rather, it's a "Sugar daddy / Sugar baby" website called SeekingArrangement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeekingArrangement

This is the "tart"'s picture (Sweet Sophia Rose, if anyone's interested in seeking an arrangement.  But tread carefully, as Broad has reported her to the Federal Police for some reason).

A woman who New Idea says is called named Amy and who uses the pseudonym "Sweet Sophia Rose". Source: New Idea.

And, the guy really had no choice but to resign, or be exposed as a major hypocrite:

"He (Broad) was also among the first to call for former Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce to resign his position after it was revealed the MP was expecting a baby with his former staffer.

At the time Mr Broad said: “I need to know as a member of parliament that the person who is going to be the acting prime minister has got their mind on the job,” he said."

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/nationals-mp-resigns-after-sugar-baby-claims/news-story/1247c5810d78d573fc7e9ab0f5fc5e6d

1 hour ago, samran said:

Nothing PC about it. The guy used partial public monies to fund his bonk quest. You can get away with many things in Australian politics, but this isn’t one of them. 

On top of that he got caught out being a hypocrite. When his boss was caught out having an affair, he tweeted this:

“When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost, when character is lost, everything is lost...Telling words for the leadership of the National Party.”

No doubt this is pure political payback.. from his own side. 

You can save your anti- PC diatribes for another post. 

Spot on..

I just love the excuses God Botherers (closely linked to right wing American God Botherers) come up with when they are caught out with 'Spunky'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samran said:

Nothing PC about it. The guy used partial public monies to fund his bonk quest. You can get away with many things in Australian politics, but this isn’t one of them. 

On top of that he got caught out being a hypocrite. When his boss was caught out having an affair, he tweeted this:

“When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost, when character is lost, everything is lost...Telling words for the leadership of the National Party.”

No doubt this is pure political payback.. from his own side. 

You can save your anti- PC diatribes for another post. 

Diatribe - a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something.

There was nothing forceful or bitter about my post, I simply gave an opinion, however, some may say your "You can save your anti- PC diatribes for another post." was unnecessarily forceful and you are being holier than thou, have you never broken any rules?

When I stepped on to a train at 16 off to become a soldier, my Father gave me this piece of advice "Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men", which has served me well in the decades since.

Your line: I might be a rock star, but I'll never be a critic, which is exactly what you are being. Let him without sin......

Edited by freebyrd

1 hour ago, freebyrd said:

Diatribe - a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something.

"PC has gone stark raving bonkers". 

pretty forceful, but admittedly not offensive. I just get annoyed with the anti-PC brigade attributing the calling out of shitty behaviour to some sort of PC conspiracy.

I couldn't really care what he does in his private time. But the hanging offense here was his use of public money - lets be clear.

1 hour ago, freebyrd said:

When I stepped on to a train at 16 off to become a soldier, my Father gave me this piece of advice "Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men", which has served me well in the decades since.

Your line: I might be a rock star, but I'll never be a critic, which is exactly what you are being. Let him without sin......

Its a line from a song, nothing more. I'm not a critic of this bloke's behaviour, just his crappy use of public money in the persuit of doing so.

In terms of the 'line'. They are song lyrics. You should google them. I suspect you'll like what you find...

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, samran said:

"PC has gone stark raving bonkers". 

pretty forceful, but admittedly not offensive. I just get annoyed with the anti-PC brigade attributing the calling out of shitty behaviour to some sort of PC conspiracy.

I couldn't really care what he does in his private time. But the hanging offense here was his use of public money - lets be clear.

Its a line from a song, nothing more. I'm not a critic of this bloke's behaviour, just his crappy use of public money in the persuit of doing so.

In terms of the 'line'. They are song lyrics. You should google them. I suspect you'll like what you find...

Fair comments, and each to their own. My weariness with the way the world has turned bursts its bank occasionally. I'm glad I'm on the back nine.