For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

The bit about growing breasts was joke!! (maybe I should have said.....and he is now working in Pattaya!)

However whenever he went out spraying them with hormones he was completely covered from head to toe in protective gear........so not keen on getting that stuff on his skin, or breathing it in.

Getting off track......but give me the pristine fruit, veg and meat on display in Oz or NZ over any rubbish I have seen here. Rats, cockroaches, flies and stinking meat all present in many places......even in my local large supermarket.

How do you know the fruit and vegetables in Oz are pristine?

If I take a cruise past the market gardens on the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne, I can see dozens of farm workers ( usually Vietnamese ) out spraying the crops from backpacks. I doubt they are being employed to spray water.

I'm really too old to get my knickers in a twist about what pesticides/herbicides may be on what I buy. They get washed by my GF anyway.

As far as meat goes, your chances of getting sick from it are far better in Oz. Just do a head count of the number of flies you see in most of Australia, against what you see in Thailand. Heard of listeria in rock melons? That's Oz, not Thailand.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The country has seen unusually rapid economic growth over the past 20 years or so. With that, standards of living have risen significantly but so has the cost of living, such that it is no longer such a good choice for expats of very limited means.

Also in tandem with the unusually rapid economic growth has come pollution (mainly urban), worsening traffic and crowds (ditto) etc.

I've been here off and on for almost 40 years and permanently based here for the last 20. For Thais I would say things are certainly much, much better for the rural majority and those in small or medium sized towns. It has been really gratifying to see tbe improvements in living conditions for rural people.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes and no. The government pension for rural Thais is still a pittance.

Having said that, the influx of Myanmar nationals to work here is an indication of Thailand's comparative prosperity. They earn three times as much here than they can back home, which in itself is a comment on the economic credentials of military governments.

1 hour ago, Respectthailand said:

They think the world owes them a living, expect deference and respect to be shown to them

The UK certainly owes me a pension, I paid 20% of my wages for 30 years to buy it.

Most cultures show deference and respect for their elders, it's an entirely normal expectation.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The UK certainly owes me a pension, I paid 20% of my wages for 30 years to buy it.

Most cultures show deference and respect for their elders, it's an entirely normal expectation.

Indeed it is, but in Thailand they show respect for their elders - and their betters. Many, perhaps most Thais regard as betters, people who can either hurt them or benefit them. Don't be deceived by respect based on fear, it's not genuine. Same same Thai smiles.

Edited by HalfLight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

It may surprise you that while I don't care for most Thais I have encountered, I ALWAYS treat them with respect. That is a courtesy they almost universally do not extend to me. But, I offer mine because I am better.

I don't respect anyone, but I'm superficially polite to everyone.

The Thais are generally the same, superficially polite to me.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

Those of you off to Cambodia, have you spent much time there? If Thailand is a 3rd world country, Cambodia is a fourth world country. Infrastructure, law and order, traffic, the food is a notch below Thailand, it's just a big step down from here. But hey, enjoy. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

There were 3 TV channels which went off at midnight.  No cellphones, no internet, fewer roads, no expressway, no satellite, no skytrain, no gyms or health clubs, several coups and midnight curfews, very little air conditioning, little in the way of western food or products, 20 baht to the dollar, tax clearances to leave the country.   Believe me life is a lot more comfortable, convenient and all round better than when I first arrived.

That was yonks ago.  Over the last 10 years, and particularly the last few years, life has noticably got more difficult for us expats- from economics to lifestyle.  Many of the things you list are incidental, or part of a global general technological change, and actually done much better in other countries anyway.  You are actually saying technology and facilities have improved throughout the world- nothing more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How do you know the fruit and vegetables in Oz are pristine?

If I take a cruise past the market gardens on the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne, I can see dozens of farm workers ( usually Vietnamese ) out spraying the crops from backpacks. I doubt they are being employed to spray water.

I'm really too old to get my knickers in a twist about what pesticides/herbicides may be on what I buy. They get washed by my GF anyway.

As far as meat goes, your chances of getting sick from it are far better in Oz. Just do a head count of the number of flies you see in most of Australia, against what you see in Thailand. Heard of listeria in rock melons? That's Oz, not Thailand.

Having lived and worked in Oz on and off over the years I have always been impressed with the quality of their produce, and they do have better oversight of the agricultural/ farming practices than Thailand. So perhaps what was being sprayed in Oz was the right mount of the right chemical..........not the case in Thailand.

In my supermarket here in Patong I have seen rats (yes in the supermarket) cockroaches and flies and just two days ago I noticed two fish in the water tanks, one was floating upside down and obviously dead and another was at the bottom of the tank with eyes that were just grey blobs (dead for some time I would think) and I pointed this out to a store guy and he said "sleeping"!!!

As for the stench and flies in the "open markets", well enough to make one puke. 

No point in continuing our discussion, as you have your views and I have mine, and ne'er the twain shall meet by all accounts!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Indeed it is, but in Thailand they show respect for their elders - and their betters. Many, perhaps most Thais regard as betters, people who can either hurt them or benefit them. Don't be deceived by respect based on fear, it's not genuine. Same same Thai smiles.

No one is deceived.  About anything.  Negative posters?  Look for the woman.  Look for the woman who done him wrong.  You thought you found the lady with the heart of gold and it turned out she was after your gold and everything Thai is responsible but not you.  You should have listened to yourself before you got connected with the first woman.  It would have saved us all a lot of grief. 

Good thing I found my dog first or I might be like you. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Cambodia is a fourth world country. Infrastructure, law and order, traffic, the food is a notch below Thailand,

Was there last week, food was great but slightly different (less chillies, more coconut and peanuts),

Didn't see any police, unlike Chiang Mai where they're everywhere.

Traffic was about the same, more m/cs and bicycles, less cars.

Mobile data was good same as here, price same as here.

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Having lived and worked in Oz on and off over the years I have always been impressed with the quality of their produce, and they do have better oversight of the agricultural/ farming practices than Thailand. So perhaps what was being sprayed in Oz was the right mount of the right chemical..........not the case in Thailand.

In my supermarket here in Patong I have seen rats (yes in the supermarket) cockroaches and flies and just two days ago I noticed two fish in the water tanks, one was floating upside down and obviously dead and another was at the bottom of the tank with eyes that were just grey blobs (dead for some time I would think) and I pointed this out to a store guy and he said "sleeping"!!!

As for the stench and flies in the "open markets", well enough to make one puke. 

No point in continuing our discussion, as you have your views and I have mine, and ne'er the twain shall meet by all accounts!!

I live in Chiang Mai. The local daily markets are a far cry from what you describe in Patong. Rimping supermarket is very clean.

Perhaps you should consider moving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I live in Chiang Mai. The local daily markets are a far cry from what you describe in Patong. Rimping supermarket is very clean.

Perhaps you should consider moving.

Well I don't frequent the open markets and haven't done for years after a few visits to one here and a few up north, and describing what I found.

I'll stick with Tops, Villa Market etc for my regular shopping here, anyway didn't like Chiang Mai, but Chiang Rai I thought was quite lovely. 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:12 AM, webfact said:

A poll conducted by Thaivisa has shown that three quarters of people think expatriate life will be worse in five years than it is now. 

Don't how they come up with that conclusion been here 14 years everything much the same except for many more cars/trucks & motorbikes on the road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Not that easy for a year visa there now.

I considered a move for 15 years to Cambodia. Very happy I kept it at arm's length and stayed in Thailand.

I still pop over now and again but the place is not the same as it was. Great for a couple days on the scoosh and to reminisce though.

All the best places in Phnom Penh are long gone; Snowy's (Maxines), Walkabout, Heart is now a gay club, Pontoon when it was an actual pontoon... DV8, the Colonial on 104, Rose Bar (still there but ruined), Sharky's (what were they thinking with that refurbishment), Howies, White Cobra, etc, etc, etc...

Well, the changed the rules a bit so they could get more tea money. The only noticeable change is a 10 fee for a document you never get and the fact you have to exit the country when your year visa is up unlike before where you could stay in country and renew it. Still their visa is better than FryLand's because there is no 90 day exit requirement.

And yes you are right about all those iconic great places  now gone mainly because they couldn't complete with all of the new places that stayed open late. Spoiler Alert: More will be gone since the Chinese are in Phnom Penh buying up the land from The Titantic Restaurant up to the King's Palace on St 184. But the silver lining is money still talks and bullsht walks in Cambodia. 

41 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I agree with you the Aussie mice are better.  They squeak in English.  Listen close.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:01 AM, madmen said:

90% of posters on this thread will still be here at next year's poll saying.. I'm thinking about going to Cambodia emoji16.png

Some of us did make the switch to Cambodia long ago., I've been here 13 years. A few years back I bumped into a guy that lived in the same apartment as me in BKK in 1994, he's been here 5 years longer than me. I've also seen a couple of other faces here from my TL days. Cambodia isn't nearly as bad as many say/think it is.

People like Villagefarang are lucky to have found their Shangri-La, all power to him, most never get near that level in Thailand.

All that said, as always, one man's meat......

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thailand is not a "third world country". It is a medium income newly industrialized country with all the issues that accompany recent industrialization.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I agree with you. Go to any major city in Canada and you won't see anywhere the amount of Benz, BMW etc. like you do in major cities in Thailand. I used to work in Map Ta Phut it is something to be seen, the refineries etc.

25 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Some of us did make the switch to Cambodia long ago., I've been here 13 years. A few years back I bumped into a guy that lived in the same apartment as me in BKK in 1994, he's been here 5 years longer than me. I've also seen a couple of other faces here from my TL days. Cambodia isn't nearly as bad as many say/think it is.

People like Villagefarang are lucky to have found their Shangri-La, all power to him, most never get near that level in Thailand.

All that said, as always, one man's meat......

How would you know that most never get near that level?  I lived in Thailand for 10 years before I posted a word on Thai Visa.  Too nutty for me.  I waited till I got old and the only reason I post now is waiting to go to the toilet.  After me and the dog do our business we go out.  So, if you don't meet them on Thai visa how would a guy in Cambodia know about happy expats in Thailand? 

Edited by marcusarelus

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Actually funny but you  have a small view of reality.

Of course this is about Thailand, but I worked in the supermarket industry for a few years in the US.  You would be shocked at all the critters and filth in the storage areas of those places. 

Everything you are talking about and more...

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, dyertribe said:

I'm seriously looking at Cambodia as an option for my retirement where, up until now, it has always been Thailand.

I think we all are, i was talking about it last night with a fellow old timer, looks as though it's going to be Cambodia or Penang.....It's a shame after all these years though.... Thanks Thailand......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I think we all are, i was talking about it last night with a fellow old timer, looks as though it's going to be Cambodia or Penang.....It's a shame after all these years though.... Thanks Thailand......

Penang? Really? The vast majority of retired expats in Thailand could never financially qualify for the retirement program in Malaysia. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 10:31 AM, Chippy151 said:

I'm not sure when we're leaving.

I think it's 34 days and 21 hours. That's just approximately though.

I have six atomic clocks with over 700 daily alarms, all to remind us of when we are taking our 387 baht, paper backpack, and slow boat to anywhere else.

but really, no worries.  things can be great and then not good.  that's life.  sort-of like my ninth husband.  

it's only the super losers who stay and stay and stay and stay and stay and complain (of course) and stay and stay and stay.  then regret

On 1/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, fruitman said:

I seriously can't....i''m raised by having everything of a high standard, especially the people...

Having only a tesco lotus at 1 hour drive from home is not my kind of life. Also i want to have water and electricity nonstop.

+ 1 Totally agree.

Moving upcountry, not in a million!!!

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Penang? Really? The vast majority of retired expats in Thailand could never financially qualify for the retirement program in Malaysia. 

$30,000 US dollars per year.  From what I read.

http://dollarsandsense.my/how-much-do-you-need-to-save-to-retire-comfortably-in-malaysia/

Edited by marcusarelus