Trump announces deal to reopen federal government through Feb. 15

rooster59

9 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

This should be a wake up call for Gov. Workers that even you with a pretty secure job have to save some money. I have friends who also live paycheck to paycheck but they could be saving if they didn't take weekend holidays as soon as they have a few bucks instead of saving. Folks have to have that new car, starbucks every morning and evening, eat lunch at restaurants, take out for dinner without thinking what's going to happen if I loose my job. It's how today's society is. 

I once worked with a young fellow who needed to replace his car.  He wanted a new one.  He shopped around, his price-point was the lowest possible monthly payment.  I tried to explain what it would be costing him in interest: his $18k car (this was a few decades ago) would cost him around $30k.  I may as well have been speaking Guarani as far as him getting what I was saying.  I've since learned there are a lot of people in the US who think this way.  Well, when I was 19 I had a factory job and earned nearly as much as my stepfather, but the morning of every payday I had to scrounge up change to get to work.  

8 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Now, Pelosi has three weeks to get something done. The ball is in her court. 

No, not really.  It was not her promise.  There is nothing new regarding the border with Mexico.  There is no "open border policy."  There is no emergency crisis, except within the right-wing Circus of Fear.

I think DT is going to try to make like this wall bs never existed.  After all, he never said anything about the border or a wall.  :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Politicians make promises, then don't keep tnem. It is the nature of the game.

As for the popular vote, it is completely irrelevant. American election law has been based on the Electoral  College forever. Both candidates knew about it. Clinton especially has no excuse,, she had decades of Washington experience. To get beaten by a political neophyte must have been humiliating. Trump walked  into her world  and kicked her ass.

Did she complain? Not from my knowledge because as you say yourself she's very well acquainted with how it works. So what's the point of your post?

• Like 1

Let's take a wild flight of imagination and suppose that the shutdown hadn't happened. How would that have impaired the possible nomination of a replacement for RBG? Maybe the shutdown really was Trump's way of getting buried in a landslide vote in 2024 and then staging a spectacular comeback in 2028? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Politicians make promises, then don't keep tnem. It is the nature of the game.

As for the popular vote, it is completely irrelevant. American election law has been based on the Electoral  College forever. Both candidates knew about it. Clinton especially has no excuse,, she had decades of Washington experience. To get beaten by a political neophyte must have been humiliating. Trump walked  into her world  and kicked her ass.

If "politicians make promises, then don't keep tnem" kind of vitiates one of the the chief arguments that supporters of Trump have been making in support of the shutdown, doesn't it?

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite what his fans on this forum argue, many Washington conservatives aren't so happy:

"Trump’s capitulation to Democrats marked a humiliating low point in a polarizing presidency and sparked an immediate backlash among some conservative allies, who cast him as a wimp."

"“Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States,” (conservative commentator) Coulter tweeted."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/prisoner-of-his-own-impulse-inside-trumps-cave-to-end-shutdown-without-wall/2019/01/25/e4a4789a-20d5-11e9-8b59-0a28f2191131_story.html?utm_term=.ae4b76e100b8

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Which Trump and all his family benefit from also.

Possibly - although rumour has it Mr Trump's tax affairs are less than transparent. 

Of course, when he finds time to release his tax returns, (in fairness he is a desperately busy chap, what with cancelling air force flights for political rivals and so on), no doubt we will discover that these rumours are groundless, or bottomless, or swamp less or something like that! 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Because he's not a politician.  He's not taking a paycheck.  He doesn't take orders from the political PAC's.  Everything he does, he does for the American people.  The first of his kind to be President. 

That bridge is still for sale , its a bargain.

I often wonder why Trump bothers with his ridiculous lies , nobody takes them seriously surely.

Then I come across posts such as this and begin to understand , it's a deeply troubling insight into the thought pattern ( or perhaps degree of denial ) of a percentage of humanity.

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Haha 1