Thai immigration considers forcing some retirees to show 800k in bank EVERY THREE MONTHS: report

webfact

Just now, Prairieboy said:

So it would effectively lock in the 800,000 - some retirees are able to use that money for a large portion of the year

I actually keep my balance above 800k, a personal choice, I also regard the money as a supplement to my medical insurance. Now, if I suddenly need to spend it, let us hope the 90 day money in the bank verification is not due! Oh, will the seasoning requirement become redundant?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

The proposed requirement to show 800,000 baht balance every three months would only apply to foreigners who are unable to show “a suitable monthly income”, the report said.

Explain somebody please.

If I have 800,000 in the bank and no more coming in monthly, I shall have to show the 800k every 90 days. 

If I have 800k in the bank PLUS a monthly income, I don't have to show the 800k, only at extension time.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Confused 1

Bring it on, if you are here legit should not be a problem.

Many could do the same as me, 80% in a fixed term account, remainder being used for daily needs, pension paid in.

Just make sure the total between the 2 accounts is never below 800.000 .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Explain somebody please.

If I have 800,000 in the bank and no more coming in monthly, I shall have to show the 800k every month. 

If I have 800k in the bank PLUS a monthly income, I don't have to show the 800k, only at extension time.

That's how I read it as well.

The question is how much is 

'some income' every month?

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And then import further money every month to live on? Stupid idea.

You have got to keep your retirement money somewhere? Why in a foreign bank? Why not a Thai bank?

Some Thai banks actually pay interest!! Unlike their foreign counterparts.

Oh and it say SOME retirees not ALL.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1