If health insurance becomes mandatory ,what then?

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

With quite small limits to go with it.

Right. But better small than nothing, mainly when you can't afford more.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Don't bother looking folks. It is only available for 5 year long stay visa holders.

Wrong. This has been made to fit the Non O-X 5 years visa, yes, but is open to everyone. This has been discussed in the previous thread about maybe-insurance-required-for-Non-OA.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe there could be an exception of the rule. Anybody who has no health insurance must have a million baht cash in a special account which will be available in case he/she needs the money for health issues.

That shouldn't be really a problem because everybody should be prepared. Or who do you think should pay your hospital bill i.e. for a heart operation? Should the Thai tax payers be responsible for that bill? Or should someone setup another fund-me account?

Everybody should be responsible for his/her own bills. If you have money, fine. If you have an insurance, fine. And if you have no money and no insurance then don't be surprised that the Thai taxpayers don't think they are responsible to pay your bills. 

Is that on top of the 800k for the visa and on top of the 800k for other living expenses? The result would be the same 75% of retirees would have to go home. Personally i think this is what the Thai Government are planning and making visas difficult to get is the easy and acceptable way to force people out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If it becomes mandatory,it will have to be a Government run thing,

IF the Government really want Expats to retire here,as it will be nearly

impossible to get coverage from private providers,due to age,pre conditions,

and very high costs.

Twice in the past the Government has given health coverage to Expats here,

first time,Thaksin introduced it,it was free if you had a Yellow book,had 2+

years coverage on that ,until it was cancelled,as it was a Thaksin thing.!

next was a few years ago,it cost 2,500 THB to join,run by an unknown

insurer,Government approved, lasted few weeks,was reimbursed 1,200 THB

if i remember correctly.So maybe 3rd time lucky,or many will have to pack

their bags,

regards Worgeordie

https://longstay.tgia.org/

here already.. 

I believe I am covered under my Wifes government hospital insurance, that should put a kink in their plans, wouldn't that make me a burden on the same system they say they don't want to burden? I've actually avoided using it so far, I like going to Yanhee International Hospital where they treat me like a VIP, still ten times cheaper than paying for insurance in the US and also paying ridiculously for the service.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe there could be an exception of the rule. Anybody who has no health insurance must have a million baht cash in a special account which will be available in case he/she needs the money for health issues.

That shouldn't be really a problem because everybody should be prepared. Or who do you think should pay your hospital bill i.e. for a heart operation? Should the Thai tax payers be responsible for that bill? Or should someone setup another fund-me account?

Everybody should be responsible for his/her own bills. If you have money, fine. If you have an insurance, fine. And if you have no money and no insurance then don't be surprised that the Thai taxpayers don't think they are responsible to pay your bills.

this is already implemented through the new 800k rules as 400k need to be kept as account balance. the min health insurance sipulations for the visa ox thb 400 k ipd 40k opd

wbr

roobaa01

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

LoL - that premium (for maximum benefit of 450,000 baht) is 52% MORE expensive than what I currently pay for my expat policy with maximum benefit of 15 million baht....

I had the same reaction.  The premiums for all the policies linked to in this thread are ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

They can't? or they don't want pay? :unsure:

Many rather cheap Thai insurances accepting nearly everyone,

by example https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php#.XFud1nduJhE

“Can’t or don’t want to pay” ... well, point taken. With 5 by-passes in 2005 US) insurance companies will insure me excluding anything to do with the heart or circulation. Additional heart attack in 2015 (Thailand) guess you could call it don’t want to pay for no coverage of my greatest major medical risk. Or you could say at that expense I cannot afford it. Put, it is all speculation at this point so I will deal with the scenario if it happens.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pravda said:

This should be easy.

Many long term expats bought land and houses for their wives and family. 

Since Thais care so much about the family they will sell the land and house to help the Farang stay in Thailand.

Yeah well see your point but yes sure it might happen but did ask several years a go does it not come in to consideration that people have property if they fall short.
No and appreciate the need to have the cash in bank etc and yes hopefully that would happen for those who have a loving Family.

2 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

A better way for the Thais to proceed rather than requiring farangs to have medical insurance would be for the gov't to sell farangs unlimited use of government hospitals for an annual fee and make it mandatory that farangs pay the fee when they do the annual renewal of their visa.   Most likely the govt could turn a profit on that without charging an obscene amount of money.

Then I could/ would dump my medical insurance?

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

They can't? or they don't want pay? :unsure:

Many rather cheap Thai insurances accepting nearly everyone,

by example https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php#.XFud1nduJhE

Of course, starting now, ฿94 000, doubling, more or less, every 10 years. Easy. 

Some kind of repatriation insurance would be preferable for many, I get free treatment if I can get back 'home'.

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

As i wrote in the headline ,what then? many many Married guys here cannot get health insurance (to old,preexisting conditions etc,what then ,will we all be deported ?

A policy that merely stabilized you and sent you home would not have to rule-out coverage of pre-existing conditions.  It should be required of all visitors, based on the length of the permitted-stay being granted.  No reason to require it of a longer-stay expat, but let off a younger-person who might get plowed on a moto. 

Longer-stay persons could opt to put money in a locked-account to cover a high-deductible, lowering their per-month cost.

This is the only type of policy needed to address the stated problem.  Anything more than that being required would be serving as a set-up to bolster purchases of specific types of insurance-plans (like the O-X Visa requirements do).

As to "deported" - your extension would be denied, and you could leave - or go on overstay, and eventually be deported.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I had the same reaction.  The premiums for all the policies linked to in this thread are ridiculous.

It's the absurd requirement for outpatient coverage.  Most older people will use that, a lot, so 40,000 baht in out patient coverage has to account for at least 20,000 a year of those premiums.  I'm guessing of course.......

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Don't bother looking folks. It is only available for 5 year long stay visa holders.

Yes, indeed many bring up a Thai Family and it is getting harder on frozen state pension and the very poor exchange rate and my Family have asked several times to put me on the Family insurance.
Perhaps get a seperate policy with the same company with a discount? Just thought of this now.
Strange in that one pays most of the costs of food, clothing and tuition fees (which are very high) but I suppose it is due to the fact money.
However at moment have an emergency amount in calculations  and maybe if they make it mandatory then maybe an x amount of money in to a seperate account. No one seems to know what might happen, so we cross that bridge as and when!!!

52 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

this is already implemented through the new 800k rules as 400k need to be kept as account balance. the min health insurance sipulations for the visa ox thb 400 k ipd 40k opd

wbr

roobaa01

roobaa01 Very interesting point indeed. 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just a bunch of unfounded rumors about it.

It all started from a news article stating they were considering it for OA long stay visas issued at embassies and consulates which did not happen. Not a word more about it since then.

is it a bunch of unfounded rumors like the rumors about the changes with the extension of stay money requirements???

35 minutes ago, cooked said:

Some kind of repatriation insurance would be preferable for many,

I get free treatment if I can get back 'home'.

Good for your case, for sure,

but don't think many countries offer such free treatment…

mainly when you have left it for years...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

A better way for the Thais to proceed rather than requiring farangs to have medical insurance would be for the gov't to sell farangs unlimited use of government hospitals for an annual fee and make it mandatory that farangs pay the fee when they do the annual renewal of their visa.   Most likely the govt could turn a profit on that without charging an obscene amount of money.

And then you would hear the moaning all day and night why not everybody in those government hospital speaks English. And why don't they provide the same service like the expensive private hospitals.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Good for your case, for sure,

but don't think many countries offer such free treatment…

mainly when you have left it for years...

My E.U. country gives it based on Nationality even when for a short or long  visit , at first moment foot on national ground , not in example Thailand  & others , (even E.U. ground after contacting home country..)  hence I have a (limited 12500€) expat insurance including repatriation for use in Thailand..

Edited by david555

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then you would hear the moaning all day and night why not everybody in those government hospital speaks English. And why don't they provide the same service like the expensive private hospitals.

"expensive private hospitals", I find that funny, I can get almost anything done here fairly cheap compared to the US. It would cost me more to just say hello to my doctor in the US, here I can get a laundry list of things done for less than a doctors visit. All with a smile from the caregivers, and VIP treatment, not waiting for hours when I make an appointment in the US, all to get 30 seconds with the US doctor, where they treat you like dirt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, david555 said:

My E.U. country gives it on based Nationality , at first moment foot on national ground , not example Thailand  & others , (even E.U. ground after contacting home country..)  hence I have a (limited 12500€ expat insurance including repatriation..)

I am from France and there is nothing like that :sad:. There is some minimal health insurance (MCU) for everyone, yes, but you must be resident in France for at least 3 months. So an emergency repatriation would not be a solution. There is a way to keep a better in-France health insurance, but by continuing paying for it when you are expatriated... :glare:

2 minutes ago, ocddave said:

"expensive private hospitals", I find that funny, I can get almost anything done here fairly cheap compared to the US. It would cost me more to just say hello to my doctor in the US, here I can get a laundry list of things done for less than a doctors visit. All with a smile from the caregivers, and VIP treatment, not waiting for hours when I make an appointment in the US, all to get 30 seconds with the US doctor, where they treat you like dirt.

That say's more about the USA 's American dream ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1