Wife lives like in 19th Century Thailand

Pravda

So, I have what is considered a good educated wife, with a nice job with a very decent salary from international company.

She owns a house and has significant savings.

Yet..... (unless it's for work) she dresses like a gypsy, still eats her 50 baht street food and eats on the floor.

I don't get it.

Thai culture there 500 years behind us, or you could say, you could take the girl out of Thailand but u cant take Thailand out of the girl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

eats on the floor

Heat rises.  Sitting on the floor is cooler than sitting higher up.

Thai Custom.

Don't you come from a country that has unique customs?  Lederhosen? Vegemite sandwiches?  Etc, etc, etc

And that's why we have chairs, in cold old Europe sitting on the floor would be too cold for at least 6 months of the year. a short cut to rheumatism and arthritis, not good for the life expectancy..... 

I really like our home but there is one thing that my missus does that leaves me scratching my head. Kitchen chairs are not for sitting on, they're for leaving piles of washed clothes on.

We have a nice basin and mirror between the kitchen and bathroom, perfect for a leisurely shave but it's full of washing powder packets, Sunlite, etc 

I like to keep some stuff upstairs but I have to negotiate a haphazard pile of toys, clothes coat hangers on the first few steps.

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

This thread is important for anyone considering building a house upcountry. When MIL and family come around they will all sit on the floor to eat. SO you don't need the expense of building a fancy dining room or even a fancy indoor kitchen. Unless the kitchen is large enough for them all to sit on the floor.

Wife wearing "gardening" clothes? If she is comfortable......

My wife's family are posh. They don't eat on the floor, at least not at our house. They sit on this table out back with the food. I leave them to it and the dogs wait underneath waiting for leftovers that they can eat. Even they don't want the fermented fish and other stinky stuff.

3247.jpg

• Like 1

Some people don't know when they have it good, she's a good woman,

obviously saves money, has a good job,a house,savings,and  YOU criticize her,

maybe you want one that just is on the Facebook all day,takes drugs,sleeps

around,some people don't know when they are well off, I wonder if she's

posting stuff  on social media about stuff she feels abhorrent about YOU.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

That is what generally happens in countries with very little diversity and an ingrained cultural.

My wife is as western as they come for a Thai woman, studied and lived abroad etc and has many western friends in Bangkok. Yet as soon as she goes to her family's place here she dresses awfully, acts differently and is completely back into that way of sitting on the floor whilst eating and generally talking about nothing but food. 

Look at any Thai's facebook page.

It's always pictures of making food, eating food, or thinking about eating more food! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My girlfriend and her friends all eat sitting on the floor with the food either on a mat, or on a low table.

When they invite me to join them, they always provide me with a thick cushion to sit on as my knees and hips cannot, and have never been able to contort into that cross legged, lotus position that they all use.

Stop thinking like a farang. This is Thailand where traditions run deep and the people (wife included) will not change on your account. Love it or leave it. (Happily married and retired in the north).  Let her do it her way, it doesn't hurt you (but she might)

7 minutes ago, mejomini said:

Stop thinking like a farang. This is Thailand where traditions run deep and the people (wife included) will not change on your account. Love it or leave it. (Happily married and retired in the north).  Let her do it her way, it doesn't hurt you (but she might)

Nobody who is married to a Thai female (educated, non educated, bargirl whatever) should underestimate their genetically programed ability to physical hurt you.....after of course, eating and the prescribed screaming at you, at unbelievable volume! LOL

10 hours ago, petermik said:

Too much thinking clouds the brain....if she,s happy to do it leave her be....my guess is she could have issues about the way you live your life....think about it :thumbsup:

Further, what's wrong with how she eats etc?

It's not wise to think your way is perfect or the only way, how about you compromise, and the reality is that many Thais still follow the old Thai ways of doing things.

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Nobody who is married to a Thai female (educated, non educated, bargirl whatever) should underestimate their genetically programed ability to physical hurt you.....after of course, eating and the prescribed screaming at you, at unbelievable volume! LOL

Why has violence or hurting people suddenly come into the thread?