Trump ordered aide to give Kushner security clearance: NY Times

webfact

Trump ordered aide to give Kushner security clearance: NY Times

2019-02-28T230126Z_1_LYNXNPEF1R1TB_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-KUSHNER.JPG

White House senior adviser Jared Kushner delivers remarks on the Trump administration's approach to the Middle East region at the Saban Forum in Washington, U.S., December 3, 2017. REUTERS/James Lawler Duggan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump ordered his chief of staff in May to grant his son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner a top-secret security clearance, the New York Times reported on Thursday.

It said senior administration officials were troubled by the decision, which prompted then White House Chief of Staff John Kelly to write an internal memo about how he had been ordered to give Kushner the top-secret clearance.

The White House counsel at the time, Donald McGahn, also wrote an internal memo outlining concerns raised about Kushner and how McGahn had recommended against the decision, it said.

The Times said the memos contradicted a statement made by Trump in an interview with the newspaper in January that he had no role in Kushner's receiving his clearance.

Asked about the report, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said: "We don’t comment on security clearances."

Peter Mirijanian, a spokesman for Kushner's attorney Abbe Lowell, said in an email that White House and security clearance officials last year asserted that Kushner's clearance was "handled in the regular process with no pressure from anyone."

"New stories, if accurate, do not change what was affirmed at the time," Mirijanian said.

(Reporting by Tim Ahmann and Steve Holland; writing by Mohammad Zargham; editing by Eric Beech and Sonya Hepinstall)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-01

10 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"New stories, if accurate, do not change what was affirmed at the time," Mirijanian said.

Really? So yet another Trump lie discovered doesn't change anything?

In Abbe Lowell's defense (jared's attorney), he was lied to, so told Wolf Blizter what he assumed was fact back in May, 2018. Oops. Alternative fact.

trump has the authority to grant his son-in-law a SCI clearance - heck he could give one to Eric or Tiffany or Melania - so no clue why he chose to hide it, and then lie about it. He lies even when he doesn't have to.

• Like 2

The ridiculous "trump" family. Lying about things they don't even have to lie about. 

They can't fall from power soon enough!

The president’s and Ivanka Trump’s egregious deception on security clearances

President Trump and those around him are no strangers to issuing false or misleading denials. But this is one of their most egregious to date

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/03/01/president-ivanka-trumps-egregious-deception-security-clearances/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

In Abbe Lowell's defense (jared's attorney), he was lied to, so told Wolf Blizter what he assumed was fact back in May, 2018. Oops. Alternative fact.

trump has the authority to grant his son-in-law a SCI clearance - heck he could give one to Eric or Tiffany or Melania - so no clue why he chose to hide it, and then lie about it. He lies even when he doesn't have to.

He lied before about how many floors Trump tower had

36 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

trump is more like Milton Drysdale, the Clampett's Investment Banker. trump has similarly connived to steal the middle American dream in an effort to enrich himself.

Ya know, there are literally thousands of people just like him on Wall St. and corporate America. Maybe not as stupid, but certainly as avaricious and without conscience or morals. No surprise that these maggots exist. The surprise is the change in the American psyche whereby these kinds of people have come to be revered.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 8:03 AM, edwinchester said:

"New stories, if accurate, do not change what was affirmed at the time," Mirijanian said.

Really? So yet another Trump lie discovered doesn't change anything?

But, but, but, dt said 'it's my show, I can do what I want and I write the scripts and I own the cameras, it's up to me, why don't you people understand this?'.

Where's the burgers?

• Haha 2

The president has the power to grant anyone, including members of his family (except Eric), a top security clearance.

I still don't get why trump and the WH are lying to the American public on this matter and trying to obfuscate the truth.

A strong leader would simply issue a statement along the lines of "I granted my son-in-law a top security clearance because he needs it to enrich himself and save his family's real estate business".

Time for him to get some more pointers from Vladdy Daddy.

White House tells Dems it won't hand over Kushner security clearance docs

The top White House lawyer on Tuesday said the Trump administration will refuse to provide Congress with information about senior adviser Jared Kushner’s security clearance, slamming House Democrats for “overly intrusive document requests.”

White House Counsel Pat Cipollone said the administration would brief the House Oversight Committee about the White House’s process for granting security clearances, but he balked at the committee’s demand for information specific to Kushner, setting up a potential subpoena fight between the powerful House panel and the White House.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/05/jared-kushner-security-clearance-1204984

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

From this point forward it’s not going to get any better for him.

Jared's too pretty for prison.

trump has often publically expressed disappointment in Ivanka's choice of a husband. Would be interesting to see if he gets a pardon?