Why is there so much anger in Thailand?

15 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I would genuinely be interested so see the figures on which you base your views rather than what I suspect is anecdotal stories.

i was talking about Europe,Aus,NZ, they have around 0.5 - 1.5 in murder rate while thailand has 4 - 6 in murder rate.

gun murder in European countries 0.04 - 1 in gun murder rate thailand has 4.45 gun murders per 100,000 people.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

The noose is tightening economically for a lot of folks world wide with the majority living on credit. The costs of raising a child never stop rising. The pressure is immense and even more so in this social media world of comparison that many judge their lives by. I have a hunch we're in a prelude to a world boil, the heat rising steadily. A runaway disease or a global war could be our undoing but we also could be reaching a critical mass socially. I hope I'm wrong.

I fear I must agree. I see the root of much being the income/wealth gap having grown too wide continuing to squeeze the working middle class. This on top of the traditional imperialist/capitalist rip off of many of the raw material producing countries.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Yes that's true, but there is always reports about white guys getting attacked, mostly in Pattaya, though sometimes in Bangkok, probably because they are drunk.

Attacking white guys does not always work out well. Remember 2 Irish lads who got jumped by 10 taxi drivers?

where a few taxi drivers were hospitalised after being stabbed with their own knives that they try to use to stab 2 Irish guys????

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2019 at 6:18 PM, ta158 said:

yes but when comparing thailand with European countries with similar or more Population, they are still much lower than Thailand.

What about road rage, knive crimes, pushing people in front of train, push them down stairs because the guy didn't like her face, sexual harassement. Go read a German newspaper. Berlin seems to be a place best to stay away from. European countries, apart from countries like Liechtenstein, Andorra, are no less angry. Yet I don't put this behaviour down to anger but "I can do what I like". Law enforcement is absent in some places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you see or read of someone beating or murdering someone, as we do often several times a day in news items offered to us on this site, you KNOW it is a violent place. You don't need to compare it to somewhere else.

Compared to many cities Bangkok is not violent.  Compared to the Vatican it is.  Looking at the enclosed link one would be advised not to live in South America but Thailand - no problem.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most-violent-cities-in-the-world-2018-3/?IR=T/#45-campos-dos-goytacazes-brazil-had-3753-homicides-per-100000-residents-6

• Thanks 2

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, ta158 said:

yes but when comparing thailand with European countries with similar or more Population, they are still much lower than Thailand.

Some TV posters need to look at what has been going on in Eastern Europe over the past 25 - 30 years.

Since the death of Tito and the subsequent break up of Yugoslavia - nearly all the countries there and surrounding it and have become melting pots for mass murder, bestiality beyond belief and a total disregard for the basic of humanity.

Thailand has a long way to go before reaching that level. 

Not just Thailand. Ordinary people under great pressure world-wide. 

On 3/7/2019 at 6:18 PM, ta158 said:

On 3/7/2019 at 6:21 PM, ta158 said:

but now this is an thai forum, about thailand and we are in thailand.

Ah the old “ but this is a  Thai forum” card being used again. This is typical when the commenter cannot back up his claims. 

• Like 1

It is the pecking order among the superior race. Thais think that they are the next best thing after sliced bread and within their own society you have men higher than women, Poo Yai higher than Poo Noi, Pi higher than Nong etc.

In essence you could draw an organization chart of the Thai population and you would have a DNA string; not one Thai on the same level as the other one. 

There is a lot of elbowing on the way up and crap"*ç%"*g downwards at the same time. 

Look at offices, the highest backrests are in the back of the office facing the rest of the plot and the closer you come to the entrance/exit the lower the backrests get. Has all to do with face, social standing and - in many cases undeserved - hierarchy. This, combined with the Thai love for bureaucracy and photocopies results in a terribly slow process and within the society smart underlings have to kiss ars"*çs further up for the sake of this system. Sickening! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 3/7/2019 at 5:47 PM, CharlieH said:

Not just Thailand though is it. Many countries have similar stories.

True, but in other countries the populace don't walk around spouting that there country is No. 1 (Thailand No. 1), that all their people have good hearts (Khon Thai Jai Dee), have a cool heart (Jai Yen Yen), that it's a non confrontational society  and other such nonsense. Thailand is no different from other countries.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

About three weeks ago I was attacked by a tour bus driver in Pattaya in front of scores of people.  Apparently, he was angry that I impeded his bus. In fact, I had to jump out of the way as he came barreling out of a parking lot near Central Marina on 2nd Road. 

He was about 1/2 my age and fortunately about 1/10 my skill level in fighting. The did his best Muay Thai and I fended him off earning some defensive bruises. I thought that he would tire and go back to his bus load of Indian tourists but, I think that his inability to hurt me angered him and he kept coming. Let me be frank, I have not had to use my 'skills' in many years and, at 70, am way too old for this crap. I could have taken him out but if I did, I would have likely had to fight about score of other Thais and maybe I would have had police trouble for laying him out on the sidewalk. So, I finally hurt him just badly enough to make him back off. 

I reported the incident to the Thai police but in the mayhem, I didn't get the number of the bus. The police were very considerate and kind but there was little that they could do.

I learned a lot from that evening. There is some serious resentment behind the infamous 'smile'. The guy was shouting "<deleted> white man" during his efforts to hurt me. I guess that I might have some deep resentments too against 'white men' seeing them with more money that I will ever have in 10 life times parading around with their daughhters, sisters, girlfriends and maybe even wives. 

My situational awareness is greatly heigthend now and have been reminded that pedistrians have NO right of way in Thailand. 

Be safe out there. Not only are there farang thugs but also resentful Thais to deal with. Maybe it is finally time to get out of Pattaya

Tom

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nsp64 said:

But they don't reach for a machete or gun.

They have a certain amount of self restraint and maturity 

No, just beer bottles (triangle bar) and fists (yank vs Aussie, soi 6). Your right, they are much more mature.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HLover said:

No, just beer bottles (triangle bar) and fists (yank vs Aussie, soi 6). Your right, they are much more mature.

So rare you're actually able to recall the locations and weapons used

About three weeks ago I was attacked on the street in Pattaya in near Central Marina shopping mall by a Thai bus driver. He thought that I unduly impededded his way. He was 1/2 my age but about 1/10 my skill level. I defended myself from his Muay Thai crap and took some defensive bruises. Finally, I have to hurt him badly enough to get him to stop. I could have completely taken him out but would have been attacked by a gang of other Thais or had to explain to the police why I hurt him so badly.  I might be the last 70 year old white guy that he tries to sport fight.

I filed a report with the Pattaya Police but in the heat of battle, failed to get the bus details. I now have a heightened sense of situational awareness.

A mad country when it comes to many issues, one of the most critical is “self defense “
You don’t stand a “cat in hells chance” with something called “thai law”

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 1

It is the pecking order among the superior race. Thais think that they are the next best thing after sliced bread and within their own society you have men higher than women, Poo Yai higher than Poo Noi, Pi higher than Nong etc.

In essence you could draw an organization chart of the Thai population and you would have a DNA string; not one Thai on the same level as the other one. 

There is a lot of elbowing on the way up and crap"*ç%"*g downwards at the same time. 

Look at offices, the highest backrests are in the back of the office facing the rest of the plot and the closer you come to the entrance/exit the lower the backrests get. Has all to do with face, social standing and - in many cases undeserved - hierarchy. This, combined with the Thai love for bureaucracy and photocopies results in a terribly slow process and within the society smart underlings have to kiss ars"*çs further up for the sake of this system. Sickening! 

Perfectly sums up how it will never move forward

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Letseng said:

What about road rage, knive crimes, pushing people in front of train, push them down stairs because the guy didn't like her face, sexual harassement. Go read a German newspaper. Berlin seems to be a place best to stay away from. European countries, apart from countries like Liechtenstein, Andorra, are no less angry. Yet I don't put this behaviour down to anger but "I can do what I like". Law enforcement is absent in some places.

Stay away from Berlin?  Really? And how many people live in Liechtenstein ? Drama 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As a white man you can do that in almost any Asian country.

Crime in Asia is mostly locals against locals.

Could you let us know which country in the world where crime is not mostly local against local? 

We are dying to know! 

You will probably have an answer too! 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 1:06 AM, pr9spk said:

Precisely. The issue is not about the UK, it's about having such a basic level of education that you know where countries are, and can understand that Thailand is neither the only country in the world nor is it the centre of the universe.

If I took a globe to my neighbours in the UK and said "where is Brazil?", I know 100% they could point it out. In Thailand, there is a very, very slim chance that someone would be able to get it right.

Like I said, it's not because Thai people are stupid, because they certainly are not. It's just that they have not been exposed to a privileged level of education as most of us in the West had access to.

100% BS!!!!!!! 

“Privileged level of education” wow. 

Very British you are! 

You probably live across the street from the Brazil embassy. 

• Like 1