Police discuss harsher driving offence penalties

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think for DUI of drugs or alcohol should be penalised by a substantial fine, impounding of vehicle if fine not paid and , suspension of licence. Will that cause hardship. Answer is yes, both to the driver and his dependants. Big deterrent !

Raising fines for lower level offences is pointless in my opinion as a lot of the drivers already say they cannot pay. I think that for these offences the lower fines could be imposed, but THE POLICE HAVE TO BE ENFORCING THE LAW.

it's all about enforcement and bringing the law breakers to heel, and not let them run riot willy nilly on the roads.

The police farce is strictly a business and any business model will tell you that you don't charge for something that people cannot afford.

You keep the costs lower and rely on numbers. It is a simple business plan.

Nothing will change here until the police farce is no longer a business and changes to be a force for good and to uphold the law.

So .............. there will be no meaningful changes. ????

2 minutes ago, thequietman said:

The police farce is strictly a business and any business model will tell you that you don't charge for something that people cannot afford.

You keep the costs lower and rely on numbers. It is a simple business plan.

Nothing will change here until the police farce is no longer a business and changes to be a force for good and to uphold the law.

So .............. there will be no meaningful changes. ????

Their business IS policing, And when you build a better mousetrap the world will beat a path to your door. Safer roads = more money from tourists who would rent vehicles and use buses and vans to get around the country.  

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Among those ticketed was the driver of a cargo truck who received no less than 144 tickets in a single year, for repeatedly speeding and failing to stay in the slow lane reserved for trucks. He was caught by traffic cameras. 

A total of 1,507 drink-driving repeat offenders were arrested in the past four years, the meeting was told.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Ekkarak said the findings showed drivers were insufficiently afraid of the law and the consequences of breaking it.

So you think they're going to take more notice if you put points on their licences?

Increase the fines (they really are pittance compared to other countries).

Hit the hip pocket nerve.

Points and loss if license is ineffective if people don't have a license. 

Impound the vehicle. 

Clamp vehicles. 

REMOVE on the spot fine payment. 

It's like Ground Hog Day.

We keep reiterating the same possible solutions. 

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Bureaucratic noise and nonsense.

If the police want to see safer roads in Thailand, then they need to get out of their air conditioned offices and patrol the roads.

Nothing else will be effective.

"...Police discuss harsher driving offence penalties..."

Stop talking and go do your job!

Not only patrol the roads, but also have the power to confiscate the vehicles from unlicensed drivers, (until a licenced driver can collect it) listing the licence plates of repeat offenders so they can be traced quickly.

There is one intersection in our town where there is a one-way highway one-ramp to the left with thoroughfare traffic coming from the right.  I always come to a full stop and check to the left as I'm sure some fool will be driving down that on-ramp the wrong way, as well as looking right.  Exactly.  And today that fool was a police pickup truck driving the wrong way against one-way traffic down the on-ramp. 
You can understand why we expats don't hold out much hope for any real change happening in traffic enforcement. 

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Major failure, why hadn't the police gone around to his place, cancelled his licence, put him in jail, heads must roll, start sacking the cops who sit idol from the top to the bottom, bring in the army and start afresh, fines, jail time, no excuses, get tuff like in other countries, this is laughable, and probably just scratching the surface of the BIGGER problem out there.

never work to many people with nothing so they can give nothing put them in jail?who then goes to work to feed the family it would lead to mass disruption to millions of farm workers lives who depend on transport to work get to school and to feed their family's.agree something needs to be done .start with the schools the teachers stand out side show the kids of 12/14 where to park their motorbikes all this with no helmets.no its starts at the bottom education ,if you start now in school it could be changed in 2 generations but to try to do it with fines and jail will only cause big big problems  

5 minutes ago, tigerfeet said:

never work to many people with nothing so they can give nothing put them in jail?who then goes to work to feed the family it would lead to mass disruption to millions of farm workers lives who depend on transport to work get to school and to feed their family's.agree something needs to be done .start with the schools the teachers stand out side show the kids of 12/14 where to park their motorbikes all this with no helmets.no its starts at the bottom education ,if you start now in school it could be changed in 2 generations but to try to do it with fines and jail will only cause big big problems  

Point taken, but always to sides to the coin, two generations would see how many more deaths on Thai roads x by say a minimum 20,000 deaths per annum x 2 generations, my maths tells me that's 4,000,000 deaths.

Loss of license, heavy fines, suffer at will, people learn quick when you hit them in the pocket, got to be cruel to be kind.

I remember back in Oz when a cop pulled me over for not wearing a seat belt, I said officer can you please give me a break, I had an absent mind when I left home as I had an argument with the now x wife, his reply was if he had an absent mind for a split second, it could cost him his life and his moral of the story was, stay focused, stay alive, seat belts save lives. I copped a $300 fine and 3 points on my license, he was 100% right, heartless one might say, but to be honest, I learnt to buckle up each and every time, haven't had a fine in donkey's years. Here in Thailand, I always forget to put the belt on and when I see a cop, I don't worry about putting on as I know they don't give a rats a$$, and if I did get a fine, what are we talking 1,000 baht at best, no points system so no loss of license, get my point, fear creates order ????

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Police discuss harsher driving offence penalties...... Shock horror.

Total waste of time, the lazy bar stewards dont enforce current penalties, so why bother with harsher ones?

They will jack up the fine for farangs and let the Thais drive by in their window tinted cars and four on a motorbike not helmets.

6 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Strange country where the police are involved in making laws and regulations.

In my country the police are supposed to be the executive power, not the legislative power.

I don't wish to sound pedantic but the last couple of lines state that changes had to be discussed by cabinet and the police cannot make the changes.

I don’t think it’s unusual and it has certainly happened in Australia for the police to make submissions to the government to make changes to the law usually to close loopholes.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Point taken, but always to sides to the coin, two generations would see how many more deaths on Thai roads x by say a minimum 20,000 deaths per annum x 2 generations, my maths tells me that's 4,000,000 deaths.

Loss of license, heavy fines, suffer at will, people learn quick when you hit them in the pocket, got to be cruel to be kind.

I remember back in Oz when a cop pulled me over for not wearing a seat belt, I said officer can you please give me a break, I had an absent mind when I left home as I had an argument with the now x wife, his reply was if he had an absent mind for a split second, it could cost him his life and his moral of the story was, stay focused, stay alive, seat belts save lives. I copped a $300 fine and 3 points on my license, he was 100% right, heartless one might say, but to be honest, I learnt to buckle up each and every time, haven't had a fine in donkey's years. Here in Thailand, I always forget to put the belt on and when I see a cop, I don't worry about putting on as I know they don't give a rats a$$, and if I did get a fine, what are we talking 1,000 baht at best, no points system so no loss of license, get my point, fear creates order ????

Your spot on the police in Australia and probably most other western countries don’t worry about the implications of issuing a fine,

If you are DUI you are not allowed to drive away If you have no helmet or license you cannot keep driving they don’t worry about whether you can get to work the next day.

I reckon if they impounded the motorbikes for the people who are unlicensed or uninsured until the fines are paid and sold them after three months if the fines are not paid the offenders would get the message.

If not tough.

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

If the police want to see safer roads in Thailand, then they need to get out of their air conditioned offices and patrol the roads.

I don't believe they are trained, equipped or motivated to do proactive (get up, get out, get looking and get acting) traffic patrol. Has anyone ever seen a BIB, hit lights and siren to stop a traffic offender? Doesn't seem to exist here. 

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Typical naive and uneducated response noise and nonsense.

Did the police in your country teach you the rules and how to drive?

Then, when they are out enforcing the law and write you a ticket you will complain: "why don't you go after some real criminals."

It is small box thinking from 99% of the world.

Blaming it all on the cops is very naive as there are many more issues involved here.

Think outside the box my friend might help....

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Major failure, why hadn't the police gone around to his place, cancelled his licence, put him in jail, heads must roll, start sacking the cops who sit idol from the top to the bottom, bring in the army and start afresh, fines, jail time, no excuses, get tuff like in other countries, this is laughable, and probably just scratching the surface of the BIGGER problem out there.

Which heads are you talking about ? The Police are doing what they are supposed to, enforcing the current law, it's unfortunate, but 144 traffic tickets within one year isn't against the law. I agree harsher penalties need to be imposed, but until it is actually made/put into the law, blaming the police is just a straw dog. 

14 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes, traffic laws need to be enforced but lets be careful what we wish for. Fascism is not the answer and not a place I want to live. I think that's why many of us came to Thailand in the first place. If you want totalitarian control, there is plenty of that in the West.

Funny how vocal posters are about the traffic police not doing their job and screaming for enforcement and tough action. 

Yet when the immigration police do their job and actually do some enforcement with some tough action the posters here whine like babies about how unfair the system is. 

Hypocrites. 

12 hours ago, bronzedude said:

I agree. On any given day, on any given street/road you can see a multitude of violations, but no in brown to enforce them until you reach a corner where motorbikes are being pulled over (unless it's lunchtime or raining).

Being a bronze dude.... Why don't you do your civic duty and become a hero by making a citizens arrest?? 

The recent atrocity in New Zealand and the PM reacts instantly changing gun laws. Thailand has been top of road fatalities for many years and nothing. Koh Samui the biggest traffic death rate for an island for a number of years. All we are all subject to is blah blah blah

11 hours ago, Jimdandy said:

Their business IS policing, And when you build a better mousetrap the world will beat a path to your door. Safer roads = more money from tourists who would rent vehicles and use buses and vans to get around the country.  

Are the thirty odd million tourist all walking around Thailand now? 

Archived