Video: Accidents narrowly avoided as driver does unexpected U-turn

webfact

Video: Accidents narrowly avoided as driver does unexpected U-turn

8pm_VI.jpg

Caption: Making a U-turn and cutting in front

Dash cam footage on Sunday showed a pick-up pull out from an adjacent road and cut in front of another vehicle. 

The vehicle managed to swerve but it was lucky that a head on collision was not the result as no traffic was coming. 

The dash cam car managed to slow and also avoid an accident. 

Two men are seen exiting the first vehicle though Thai Rath did not report if there was an altercation. 

The footage found it's way to the "Hear" accident site after being posted on Facebook by "Pete Khung". 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-01

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

There wasn't a crash here because the dash cam car was driving at a reasonable speed and could therefore manage the situation. Of course not every example provides such an opportunity, but a secondary cause is often speeding.

I instinctively braced for rear impact ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

There wasn't a crash here because the dash cam car was driving at a reasonable speed and could therefore manage the situation. Of course not every example provides such an opportunity, but a secondary cause is often speeding.

The vehicle that recorded this incident was merely a third-party observer. The only reason that there was no crash/collision was the fact, due to pure luck, that there was no oncoming traffic in the opposite lane.

• Like 2

Just drove from CM to Kanchanaburi and back damn not one accident the whole way. I aways wonder where these accidents are because I have made this trip numerous times never saw an accident but maybe after I pass never know

Another fine example of not having a learner driver school/lessons in Thailand.

Just go to the local office watch a boring video, pay the money and get the licence... driving skills are not required !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

Just drove from CM to Kanchanaburi and back damn not one accident the whole way. I aways wonder where these accidents are because I have made this trip numerous times never saw an accident but maybe after I pass never know

Maybe you should get those ole  eyes checked?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Benmart said:

Everyday that I drive, my camera is on, my seat belt is fastened and my eyes are on the road scanning for lunatics on two and four wheels. Seemingly, there are no trained and equipped mobile police patrols and no consequence for reckless driving. Amazing Thailand.

Amazing it is, sheer damm stupidity like everything else here.  And I was worried about going to hell all this time. Trying hard to avoid contact with these morons is nearly impossible. 

• Like 2

Stupid road design and stupid drivers.

Looks like the driver attempting the U-turn thought he was on the main road and didn't even realise he was feeding onto a faster lane also in his direction.

Driver that was forced to take avoiding action had a good view of the uturning driver but didn't even slow down as they neared each other.

Thankfully there was no traffic coming the opposite way, but mannnn...that was close.

I have one thing to ponder. I wonder if the driver just swerved out of pure instinct and reaction saving a terrible crash, or if he was fully aware of no oncoming traffic and swerving would be totally safe?

????????????

Laos drivers are generally bad, but they can't hold a candle to the typical Thai driver. My wife and I are heading for Phuket during Pi Mai (Song Kran) and she asked if I wanted to drive the car over and leave it at Udon Thani airport, which is something we usually do. Well, we're coming back Friday night and driving during Song Kran on Friday from the airport, through downtown Udon across the bridge and through downtown Vientiane at night doesn't seem all that bright to me.

So...no. The car stays home. We'll take a shuttle. There may still be a crash but it won't be my car ????

Stupidity for lack of education, consintration., consideration, and patience. 

Normal mentality in the land of? 

It comes as no surprise, according to a recent report, Westerners visiting Thailand have and are dropping off. 

Stupidity for lack of education, consintration., consideration, and patience. 

Normal mentality in the land of? 

It comes as no surprise, according to a recent report, Westerners visiting Thailand have and are dropping off. 

The U-turning pick-up truck is a fault, yes, no doubt about, but the root cause of this near accident is the layout of the road system.

The left frontage road comes to an abrupt end with no signage what so ever. He most likely had the feeling he was driving in the left lane of a dual road system separated by a wide grassy median, which are very common here. When his lane ends, he checks for oncoming traffic and wants to do a quick U-turn, not expecting traffic going the same direction as him.