Taking rental scooter to another province

Hi, there. We’re planning to travel to the countryside and I wonder if it’s possible to permanently use my rental scooter in another province. Do I need to keep extra papers on me? I have the rental contract and I deposit the rent into a bank account. 

It seems you have the contract.

Long time ago I asked in Pattaya if it would be possible that I rent a big bike there and ride to Bangkok. There answer was a clear: NO

So I guess it's a good idea that you make sure there is no misunderstanding...

Yeah, verify with the rental place BEFORE you go. If they have GPS locators on their bikes (some do, some don't) and see the bike suddenly in a different province they may suspect it is being stolen.

That used to be a big scam a few years back. Rent a bike, ride to the border and sneak it into Cambodia then sell it (or get it to the border and sell it to someone who then sneaks it across themselves). People would claim the bike was "stolen" from their hotel.
Friends of mine that used to rent big bikes won't let them go out of province unless they know the renters personally. Too big a risk (and you can imagine that even if they charge you for "insurance" - they probably don't actually have a policy so it would all be out of their pocket if the bike is stolen). 

I lost the keys to my Jeep on Koh Chang a few years ago...rented a motorbike for 24 hrs., drove back to Pattaya, got the spare set and was on my way home after leaving the bike back in the rental shop.

Didn't mention to anyone where I was going on the bike.

I seem to recall that the standard rental contract for bikes has a clause limiting the distance you can travel from the owners premises, something like 50km? They dont want a lot of travelling to pick it up if you have a problem I guess. 

• Like 1

Most (all) rentals I’ve had have stated 60km’s radius maximum, I’m in Pattaya.

In saying that I did do a return trip to Nakhon Ratchasima on an Aerox with no questions asked on its return. Fun on the way up cos it was all new and exciting, the trip back not so much 555

If you plan on covering any distance make sure you rent something newer and bigger is my advice. An Aerox can consistently do 110km/h where as a Click or Wave would be zero fun IMO

Edited by MadMuhammad

I rented Keeway Superlight 200cc from Phuket and went to Krabi and back, despite finding out on the way having a carb / engine problem and would not go over 75km, it was okay with the rent shop, I told them specifically where I wanted to go and when I will be back...

Of course I went to them with my own scooter and told them I live here and have some experience riding etc... 

They maybe more reluctant with an off the plane tourist. 

Edited by Agusts
  • Like 2