Phuket hotel watch – 3 months down, 9 to go in 2019

webfact

Phuket hotel watch – 3 months down, 9 to go in 2019

By Bill Barnett

Crowne-Plaza-Phuket-Hotel.jpeg

by Bill Barnett of C9Hotelworks.com

At the beginning of the year Phuket’s tourism and hotel sector was cautiously optimistic after a strong first half of 2018 and humbling second half. Key terms that kept popping up were Mainland Chinese, Thai Baht Appreciation, Elections and Supply Concerns.

So today, with three months of performance under the belt in 2019 what are the key trends in hotel trading? These can best be compressed in the following points –

According to data from hotel benchmarking group STR, Thailand remains Southeast Asia’s leading destination for Mainland Chinese, but the gloss is being diminished by Vietnam’s meteoric rise, and strong numbers by the Philippines and Cambodia.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/phuket-hotel-watch-3-months-down-9-to-go-in-2019

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-04-11

Condo's, Villa's and Unlicenced premises. Need government control. Maybe they should ask the government to improve infrastructure, cleanliness and controlling safety. I should be able to rent my villa out via air BNB without the meddling and constant interference.  

2 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Condo's, Villa's and Unlicenced premises. Need government control. Maybe they should ask the government to improve infrastructure, cleanliness and controlling safety. I should be able to rent my villa out via air BNB without the meddling and constant interference.  

I don't quite understand your punctuation. You seem to state that Airbnb type rentals need government control but later you state that you should be able to rent your villa without such "interference".

Why do you feel that you should be treated any differently to any other accommodation provider?

Many cities in the world are correctly imposing very strict licensing laws on short term rentals, which are now hitting "legal" accommodation providers, as stated somewhere among the buzzwords in Bill Barnett's article.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Many cities in the world are correctly imposing very strict licensing laws on short term rentals, which are now hitting "legal" accommodation providers,

Government could easily regulate their own set rules which some come in 2017/2018 with different rental taxes based on length of rental, kind of accommodation etc., but yes first a Government must be in place which enforce their own made regulations.

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

I don't quite understand your punctuation. You seem to state that Airbnb type rentals need government control but later you state that you should be able to rent your villa without such "interference".

Why do you feel that you should be treated any differently to any other accommodation provider?

Many cities in the world are correctly imposing very strict licensing laws on short term rentals, which are now hitting "legal" accommodation providers, as stated somewhere among the buzzwords in Bill Barnett's article.

Why should a government control what you do with your own private property? The simple reason is control and taxation. Government control in this day and age is done on the basis of how much revenue can be generated. No revenue. No control. Then if you Impose Taxes, Fees and Regulatory Payments and the money goes into state coffers. More control required. 

11 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Why should a government control what you do with your own private property? The simple reason is control and taxation. Government control in this day and age is done on the basis of how much revenue can be generated. No revenue. No control. Then if you Impose Taxes, Fees and Regulatory Payments and the money goes into state coffers. More control required. 

You've answered your own question but it's also to protect licensed accommodation providers who do pay taxes and, in ultre-xenophobic Thailand, there's the issue of guest registration. I know not all hotels and guesthouses register their guests but there are probably more that do than don't. How many Airbnb providers do it? I'd guess a very, very low percentage.

Meanwhile, there is a giant river of shit flowing through Kamala, through the Tsunami Park and into the sea. The stench is wretched.

Edit: I walked over the bridge from the park to the beach this morning. The smell was so bad I nearly chucked my cookies.

Edited by Shot
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, losworld said:

Won't be long and vietnam and cambodia as well as the ph will blow by thailand.

Good, will free up the beaches, reduce pollution of places like the Similan's, and generally turn down the crazy levels of tourist traffic that I've seen in Phuket and other parts of LOS. Screwed the place up royally in my opinion ! Maybe return it to a slightly more sane level and the Thai people might turn down the levels of gouging/scamming/overcharging etc that sadly seems to have tainted the Thai sabai sabai, sanook that was so beautiful and touching to experience almost everywhere.  

Leave more peaceful cleaner beaches, less mad Russian (and other) falangs on bikes to contend with. Please choose the other asioan countries to go to by all means future tourists ????

23 hours ago, losworld said:

Won't be long and vietnam and cambodia as well as the ph will blow by thailand.

I've been on this forum 5 years. 

5 years of reading Thai tourism is doomed, 5 years of reading this place or that place is a ghost town to be countered by busiest in years?  Well what is it?  Some where in the middle perhaps.