Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

In the one post you both decry and cite corporate sponsors as reasons for and against permanent ownership of the national game by Victoria.

And a typical response from a resident of one of the two biggest cities who believe anywhere else in Australia doesn't count. Reminds me of that dopey footballer on the footy show years ago who expressed concern that WA wouldn't have the medical expertise to tend to Hird's fractured face!

Are you aware Alex that Perth is home to some of the biggest mining companies on the planet?

BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto and Alcoa would be examples. Corporations and corporate sponsorship do exist outside Vic and NSW!

And, incidentally, thanks for the earlier school marm geography lesson about Wilson's Promontory.  It reminded me of the day I trudged to the very bottom of the Promontory, across the squeaky sand beach, to gaze to the south towards Tasmania.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

And, incidentally, thanks for the earlier school marm geography lesson about Wilson's Promontory.  It reminded me of the day I trudged to the very bottom of the Promontory, across the squeaky sand beach, to gaze to the south towards Tasmania.

As you gazed into the Southern mists, a single Hawk, high up in the sky, floated across your vision, , you sighed in pensive melancholy, and  wondered if a GF will ever be played in Tasmania.

Edited by joboss
  • Like 2

My Croc.....im well aware of the corporations that are digging up the battlers assets and paying next to nothing for it wayyyyyyy out west were the grass dont grow....i use to like the Dingos, reality is many more national and multi national headquarters are in the east......Sydney and Melbourne happen to be the business headquarters of Australia that country in the quote "arse end of the world" un quote  and as a VIC I'm pulling rank ( 10 clubs in VIC) even if I'm out numbered here in this forum...the GF stays at the MCG, i will not entertain and notions of it leaving.......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joboss said:

As you gazed into the Southern mists, a single Hawk, high up in the sky, floated across your vision, , you sighed in pensive melancholy, and  wondered if a GF will ever be played in Tasmania.

The kid from Cottleslow beach has been sniffing glue last night, you picked the Hawks too son......

And by the way Mr Croc, the map directions were for JoBlow he needs google to get around Perth I'm sure the rest of the comrades here have an understanding of the map of Australia and where most places are....As for the Prom i been too but i must say I'm not into staying in huts or tents just a bit to rough for my liking though the beaches were something else....

17 hours ago, BookMan said:

Yep, without a doubt.
It will take some type of event or events from interstate teams/fans to kick it off...We have 8 interstate teams now. 
scenarios such as:
GF 5 years in a row featuring 2 interstate teams...(why should fans and teams have to travel to teh MCG to play the biggest game, when their team and home fans deserve the opportunity to see it locally).
An interstate team dominating, the H&A and losing consecutive GFs due to having had to travel to the MCG...

Any contract deal done , if it is to 2037 , to keep a grand final at the MCG smacks of arrogance from an interstate fans perspective. if the AFL wants a true and genuine national competition they have to be fair dinkum about it.

In the past...even recently, the AFL controlled all the messages about the game...but the last few years the public has a huge voice through social media and the AFL spin factory cannot control all of it.

I'm not sure of the feeling out West about the AFL head honchos, but in Sydney the AFL created a lot of resentment over their handling of the Adam Goodes booing affair and their petty trade ban on the Swans because of the Franklin trade... Gil Mclahlan and his smirking ways...

In the end it comes down to how the public supports the sport and if they see it as being fair or nor.  If the public in  WA.SA.QLD.NSW begin to feel resentment against the AFL , it hurts the brand and sponsors start to get uneasy

Then interstate teams need more ballsy statements from their chairpersons like Kochie when it comes to the overarching view of the game and the best thing for their own team...Chairpersons should avoid commentary about players but open up the conversation about interstate finals and interstate travel etc.

There have been 11 interstate teams in grand finals since 2000 including the last 4.

So we're not just making up the numbers

The last 2 have seen both Sydney and West Coast having to travel to Melbourne to play Hawthorn on their home ground

despite finishing higher up on the ladder. Does that does sound fair?

I'm not sure about the Sydney boys, but I would've backed us to beat Hawthorn at home last year.

A few assistant coaches at WC and Freo who are from Melbourne have said on average, for an interstate side to win the GF,

they have to be a 5 goal better side than the rest.

Some people make is sound as if the interstates were given a favour by being allowed to join the comp.

If it wasn't for us, I wonder how many of the insolvent Melbourne sides would still be around.

It's not about crowds either as most of the revenue is from the media.

And while I'm at it, time to rename the Brownlow and Norm Smith as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BookMan said:

Looks like 5 of us in the running for a 9/9 this week

COuld essendon upset the bulldogs tomorrow?  Essendon on a high after re-signing Hurley

Good call Bookman, I'm changing my tip as we speak. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2016 at 4:09 PM, BookMan said:

Essendon upset Gold Coast in a surprise...

Richmond 3 goals ahead of Geelong early in the 2nd...I was thinking of taking Richmond but then i remembered how many times they have let me down...

Be nice for Sydney for Geelong to lose!

Make that 4 goals up!

Mc Cartin won't be captain.  You need someone on the field who is made of steel not glass.  Saints announced this morning they will be targeting a key forward and back during the draft period.  Looks as tho the writing is on the wall for McCartin To many concussions and not up to the rigors of AFL football.  Anyone want the hack, going free and we deliver with a years supply of my mum's scones.

21 minutes ago, Will27 said:

There have been 11 interstate teams in grand finals since 2000 including the last 4.

The last 2 have seen both Sydney and West Coast having to travel to Melbourne to play Hawthorn on their home ground

I'm not sure about the Sydney boys, but I would've backed us to beat Hawthorn at home last year.

A few assistant coaches at WC and Freo who are from Melbourne have said on average, for an interstate side to win the GF,

Some people make is sound as if the interstates were given a favour by being allowed to join the comp.

If it wasn't for us, I wonder how many of the insolvent Melbourne sides would still be around.

What's wrong will, don't you get the public holiday long weekend in the west?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Thechook said:

What's wrong will, don't you get the public holiday long weekend in the west?

46 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Not to mention the Coleman.

VFL awards all. Should have started anew when the AUSTRALIAN Football League was started!

Why didn't hey use the Magarey or the Sandover instead of the Victorian, Brownlow Midfielders Medal!

Who the hell was Brownlow anyway?

Edited by Old Croc

6 hours ago, joboss said:

Never the GF, but I've always wondered why the Vics wont allow an AFL playing state to have their own team in the Australian comp.  Too rich a recruiting ground for the leach-like Vic clubs?

Instead they keep starting new teams in places that don't give a stuff like Qld.  

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

My Croc.....im well aware of the corporations that are digging up the battlers assets and paying next to nothing for it wayyyyyyy out west were the grass dont grow....i use to like the Dingos, reality is many more national and multi national headquarters are in the east......Sydney and Melbourne happen to be the business headquarters of Australia that country in the quote "arse end of the world" un quote  and as a VIC I'm pulling rank ( 10 clubs in VIC) even if I'm out numbered here in this forum...the GF stays at the MCG, i will not entertain and notions of it leaving.......

I read once that 90% of western Australians have visited the eastern states, but only 10% of the Easterners have visited the West. Greatly illustrates the insular nature of a large proportion of Australians.

Many years ago when living and working in Vic I was constantly amused by the closed minds and biased attitudes of those around me. I see some similarities with the people where I now live.

It was no surprise to me when the Vics rated lowest in the National IQ test in 2002 (appropriately hosted by Eddie Maguire). 

AS for the 10 clubs in the little state, they have only survived because of support from SA and WA. Wasn't Melbourne supposed to have been absorbed by Hawthorn a few years back? 

• Like 2

I watched that at the time. A very clumsy pretence at a spoil. The fist was late and low.

Should get a couple, will probably get off.

Hasn't Ebert looked like a real footballer since returning to his own state?

Edited by Old Croc

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

The kid from Cottleslow beach has been sniffing glue last night, you picked the Hawks too son......

And by the way Mr Croc, the map directions were for JoBlow he needs google to get around Perth I'm sure the rest of the comrades here have an understanding of the map of Australia and where most places are....As for the Prom i been too but i must say I'm not into staying in huts or tents just a bit to rough for my liking though the beaches were something else....

You don't know what you're missing leading the soft life Alex.

The Prom was a day trip. However, I've spent years of my life travelling, fishing, prospecting, etc. staying in cars, caravans, tents or less, sleeping in the bush, on beaches, in shearing sheds or where I fell next to a campfire.  I've slept in the boat pictured in my avatar, on a few occasions.

33 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Is Rory Sloan in trouble?

Given the MRP's latest rulings, I have no idea.

I like Rory but would prefer him not to be playing next week.

28 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I watched that at the time. A very clumsy pretence at a spoil. The fist was late and low.

Should get a couple, will probably get off.

Hasn't Ebert looked like a real footballer since returning to his own state?

Mark Risccutio's comment  "Nothing to worry about you wouldn't have thought. Going for the ball with a clenched fist"

Just another reason its dangerous to have commentators with strong team agendas doing the commentary and trying to influence opinion. Yes, i include Eddie.

12 minutes ago, joboss said:

It’s not that Alex has an aversion to  roughing it, It’s just his carers wont risk him wandering off and getting lost.

Looks like he has had a complete breakdown, tipping wise.

Edited by BookMan

Trophy for 2016 winner selected!!

The job of Comissioner for the AFL Thaivisa tipping is exhausting. Constant paperwork, dealing with irate emails from Tipsters, tallying selections... Most of it I delegate to Chimpy but some tasks need the executive decision…such as that of official trophy!

And so, it was at Santa Fe restaurant Chimpy and I found ourselves this week...dining courtesy of the official AFL Commissioner expense account...

Eagle eyed Chimps spotted it first, jumping across 3 tables –spaghetti bowls flying,a deft grasp and spin off a ceiling fixture and pirouette off the head of a astonished waitress...holding the trophy it high in his arms and jumping up and down on the table like he had won his 2nd Oscar for Best Animal in a motion picture...luckily I was able to play the Crazy Farang card and other restaurant diners nodded in understanding...

Here it is...The 2016 tipping trophy for whoever wins this year!  

1471698066093.jpg

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Bloody hell, if I'd known there was a trophy I would have tried harder!

Or at least got my tips in before the Thursday night games.

Lets see what happens,

There is a Thai wide alert to the nation’s finest BIB to be on the lookout for a Farang dressed in a red and white foreign football jumper and a monkey in a St Kilda jumper with fake Calvin Klein jeans believed to be in possession of a prestigious one star restaurant award that was snatched in a lightning raid last night.

The investigating team are following a lead and have a credit card in the name of a Mr Gillon.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BookMan said:

Looks like 5 of us in the running for a 9/9 this week

COuld essendon upset the bulldogs tomorrow?  Essendon on a high after re-signing HUrley

I hope you selected Carlton. Looks like there could be an upset They are up by 24 points at 3/4 time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BookMan said:

Currently, we are only wanted by the police in Australia....
The trophy will have to be picked up by the winner in person at Santa Fe, Central Phra Ram 9. Just walk in and pick it up from the cashier desk. It's all been explained and they are expecting whoever wins.

Oops

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I'm not so sure about that BookMan.

Had a visit from these 2 this morning.

They grilled me about the possible whereabouts of Chimpy, but I gave them nothing.

Monkey1.jpg

Monkey2.jpg

Thanks mate...I'm sure they cant touch us here