Why do we go shopping with Thai partners ?

Liverpudlian

Before we retired Hubby and I rarely shopped together, but now we do.  We both have time available and since we don't drive, I need a pack mule to carry the purchases home.  Plus, I learned to read Thai better than Hubby, so I can translate what's what for him, but by now he's learned the common stuff we buy in a supermarket and can be trusted to pick up staples on his own in a pinch.  (well, except at the Thai-style markets, where he still can't recognize all the different green leafy ingredients, so I send him with a shopping list written in Thai to show to the mea kha.)

• Like 2

Perhaps what i see more often than not is the newbie green horn who feels obliged to carry the can for the entire mob of the generation game and soon feels like OH <deleted> whats going on here, Surin big C is classic fly on the wall stuff . and the family's are quite skilled at it, having been there several times before .

3 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

If the highlight of your week is a trip to the supermarket do you not think that something has seriously gone wrong with your life? Genuine question.

No, the trip to town is not a highlight usually, just a change of scenery. I spend the rest of the time working on stuff that I want to work on and I am with my family. When friends come to visit they figure I have got it worked out very nicely.

The highlight of the week would normally be finishing a project, or starting one I have been thinking about for a while.

How about you?

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

No, the trip to town is not a highlight usually, just a change of scenery. I spend the rest of the time working on stuff that I want to work on and I am with my family. When friends come to visit they figure I have got it worked out very nicely.

The highlight of the week would normally be finishing a project, or starting one I have been thinking about for a while.

How about you?

I'm pretty much the same as you, working on stuff I want to work on, you know, new projects all that type of carry on, great highlights for sure. My chums are also impressed when they swing by.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

Perhaps what i see more often than not is the newbie green horn who feels obliged to carry the can for the entire mob of the generation game and soon feels like OH <deleted> whats going on here, Surin big C is classic fly on the wall stuff . and the family's are quite skilled at it, having been there several times before .

Respectfully I'd like to call BS on this whole thread as any one who has been to a Thai mall on the weekend sees mainly families shopping as opposed to women alone.  As is the case in any mall in any country anyplace in the West or Asia.  The only thing I can think is Liver has never been shopping.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, akirasan said:

Because Mrs Akirasan has a habit of buying things that we don't need. 

Haha, don’t we all. A few drinks, an iPad and eBay or lazada are all I need. I’ve had countless <deleted> delivered that I have no recollection of buying. Hooray!

• Haha 1

My wife and myself more often that not shop together. Same as when we lived in the UK which was about twelve years ago now.

My wife's family live about two hours away ... we see them normally three times a year.

I wonder why the OP has the interest ... he has the tribe problem himself ... unlucky ...

Bit like the poster starting by saying ... am asking for a friend ...

Edited by JAS21

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

My wife and myself more often that not shop together. Same as when we lived in the UK which was about twelve years ago now.

My wife's family live about two hours away ... we see them normally three times a year.

I wonder why the OP has the interest ... he has the tribe problem himself ... unlucky ...

Bit like the poster starting by saying ... am asking for a friend ...

I sacked the magnets years ago.

Ahhhhh, it was better in the "good old days".
Back then, while wife went shopping, Farang Hubby waited patiently in the nearest GoGo Bar for her. By the time she was done shopping, they were both drunk. She drunk of "consumerism", he drunk of "Beer Chang".
The foundation of a happy marriage. Ahhhhh, the good old days....

• Haha 2

When we lived out in the village, 40km one-way from city, we would make a 1/2 day of it, lunch, do the shopping, put the cold stuff on ice and do dinner and a pub on the way home that evening.   Just the two of us, no tribe in tow.

Now we live in city suburbs, the area is easy motorbike living.  Wife hits the local market on her own after exercise class.  I might drive 10 minutes into the city and hit the farang food shops once a month, usually go together and have lunch as well.  

The core of the issue is an old one though.   I'm your typical male "hunter".  I go in to the shop(s), kill what I want and am ready to drag the bloody carcass home inside 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, she's still back on aisle 2 reading the backs of shampoo bottles.????    So now we live closer to the city, she does most of the routine shopping/errands on her own.  Quite sure it's more relaxing and enjoyable for her this way.  She has her own credit and debit cards, doesn't need me there for that reason.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 55Jay said:

When we lived out in the village, 40km one-way from city, we would make a 1/2 day of it, lunch, do the shopping, put the cold stuff on ice and do dinner and a pub on the way home that evening.   Just the two of us, no tribe in tow.

Now we live in city suburbs, the area is easy motorbike living.  Wife hits the local market on her own after exercise class.  I might drive 10 minutes into the city and hit the farang food shops once a month, usually go together and have lunch as well.  

The core of the issue is an old one though.   I'm your typical male "hunter".  I go in to the shop(s), kill what I want and am ready to drag the bloody carcass home inside 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, she's still back on aisle 2 reading the backs of shampoo bottles.????    So now we live closer to the city, she does most of the routine shopping/errands on her own.  Quite sure it's more relaxing and enjoyable for her this way.  She has her own credit and debit cards, doesn't need me there for that reason.

Same ... I can never understand why some women take so long to shop ... it's not as if they have never bought that product before.... 

19 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

If the highlight of your week is a trip to the supermarket do you not think that something has seriously gone wrong with your life? Genuine question.

The mall has beautiful women, Belgian beer, great food from all countries, automatic toilets, air conditioned comfort, entertainment, new electronic/sound stuff for my TV and computer and no schedules, healthy exercise.  Pray tell what is the highlight of your week?

• Like 2

My GF is only 42 kg, so she needs me as her beast of burden to carry all the purchases to the car. That's what I tell myself.

I must admit I don't understand why she needs so many cleaning products, which seem to disappear into a black hole. It can't be for me, AFAIK I'm not incontinent yet.

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The mall has beautiful women, Belgian beer, great food from all countries, automatic toilets, air conditioned comfort, entertainment, new electronic/sound stuff for my TV and computer and no schedules, healthy exercise.  Pray tell what is the highlight of your week?

Getting a Thai middle class kid into a top international university.

2 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Getting a Thai middle class kid into a top international university.

Each to their own.  My kids got into top international universities on their own.  Now they are all graduated and approaching middle age. 

Edited by marcusarelus

I believe guys who have an aversion to shopping are influenced by their attitude to shopping when working a 5 day week and trying to fit in enjoyable evenings and weekends

If I shop alone I am often swift and clinical in my approach to complete the task

Shopping with my wife is a pleasure, we enjoy discussing what to buy and planning for upcoming menu, buying non food items we consult each other, it just seems natural, and we always manage to agree on the final purchase, not unusual for me to have to push for a more expensive item for quality. I have to be careful here because for our next big purchase I would happily buy a second hand run around, my wife however is looking at new ????

Certainly there is a differing experience going to basic supermarket type shops, BigC or Makro (in Surin for example)  or spending time at Robinson Mall with a range of eateries and shopping options under one roof, where browsing can be fun and cool, interspaced with a coffee or snack of your choice, play area for the children. All available in the town centre but require more a little more effort to seek out.

Once you get to know the people at the market they will speak regularly as you pass or buy, we use the market for fruit and veg, but no browsing in the heat, it is know where to buy and complete quickly!

All in all I enjoy shopping with my wife, children can complicate things, we once 'left' our son crying at the top of the escalator because he refused to come from the childrens play area when instructed!! A kind lady brought him down thinking he was nervous and scared ???? He never did it again though!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

I believe guys who have an aversion to shopping are influenced by their attitude to shopping when working a 5 day week and trying to fit in enjoyable evenings and weekends

If I shop alone I am often swift and clinical in my approach to complete the task

Shopping with my wife is a pleasure, we enjoy discussing what to buy and planning for upcoming menu, buying non food items we consult each other, it just seems natural, and we always manage to agree on the final purchase, not unusual for me to have to push for a more expensive item for quality. I have to be careful here because for our next big purchase I would happily buy a second hand run around, my wife however is looking at new ????

Certainly there is a differing experience going to basic supermarket type shops, BigC or Makro (in Surin for example)  or spending time at Robinson Mall with a range of eateries and shopping options under one roof, where browsing can be fun and cool, interspaced with a coffee or snack of your choice, play area for the children. All available in the town centre but require more a little more effort to seek out.

Once you get to know the people at the market they will speak regularly as you pass or buy, we use the market for fruit and veg, but no browsing in the heat, it is know where to buy and complete quickly!

All in all I enjoy shopping with my wife, children can complicate things, we once 'left' our son crying at the top of the escalator because he refused to come from the childrens play area when instructed!! A kind lady brought him down thinking he was nervous and scared ???? He never did it again though!!

just perhaps you are part of the problem

I'm confident there's no one quicker at groceries shopping than I. List in pocket and off I go, no price comparisons, no umming or aaahing, chucked in a moving trolley and off to the next item. My wife, on the other hand, can spend an entire day looking at bags of rice, and when we shop together, we do our own thing, oh, and anything pricey she wants, somehow ends up in my trolley!!!!!

My hobby is finding the skin cream girl (they all have them) and asking where the skin darkening cream is!

Edited by geronimo