Fingerprinted at Suvarnabhumi

20 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Fingerprints are required, in some cases since several years, to enter a lot of countries.

As for the non-smiling officer, you are right but try to imagine working his shift, a few thousands farangs, chinese, indians... how long would you keep your smile?

Awww, poor guy. Thailand must be the only country in the world with travelers from all over the world. I don’t know how they cope.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

An immigration themed bar might be a good idea for those still suffering from PTSD. They could offer touch screen menus to replicate the fingerprint scanners, and special booths where you're invited to receive greater scrutiny if you've got too many previous entry stamps. For those nostalgic for the past the tip jars will be reinstated, and ringing the bell will grant you direct access to the fast track lane. It would be ideally situated directly adjacent to Airport club in Walking Street, perhaps a makeover of the punishment themed bar that's there at present. 

It is a while since I have investigated what is available in Pattaya, but I would have thought sadomasochism must be well catered for already.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is a while since I have investigated what is available in Pattaya, but I would have thought sadomasochism must be well catered for already.

Not sure if it's still there, but across the street there was also an IDC themed bar a while back. 

7 hours ago, JSixpack said:

So true. What a miserable job. I doubt any of our posters would be smiling while doing that day after day.

How did you know he was "disgruntled" rather than just doing his miserable job?

As noted above, fingerprinting is getting pretty common. Try China: you get fingerprinted when leaving the secure area of the airport as well. Try getting a smile and "Welcome to China" outta those IOs. Or those in Vietnam.

In fact I doubt you're guaranteed any smile and friendliness from the IOs in any country. I got none from the USA recently. Actually I don't see why that would be expected or needed. These aren't the welcoming committee.

However, unlike yourself I often get a smile (slight anyway) from Thai IOs. I do that by giving them a smile first and a cheerful "Sawatdee krab" when I approach and a smile and "Kop kun krab" when my stamped passport is handed back. A little Thai and polite, friendly Thai manners establish that you aren't one of the idiots and really help smooth all your transactions w/ Thais. Mine are invariably pleasant for that reason. 

But you probably need to walk down some streets in Pattaya w/ a plethora of massage parlors. Or Soi 6. You'll get all the attention, smiles, and flattery you could possibly want.

I agree that security steps will continue to increase, perhaps with facial recognition helping to move through Immigration a little faster (but at what cost). I would mention that on returning to the USA from an overseas it did my heart good to be handed my Passport back and the officer saying, "welcome home". Only happened one time sadly (such a small thing can make a person's day).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I joined the queue at Da Nang airport.  There were three desks in operation: ASEAN; Viets; & others.  This latter got quite long (hordes of farangs casing out where to take their pensions?).  A smiling official opened another gate and halved this queue. 

Was the smiling "official" one of the IOs that normally check passports as we're discussing? "Cattle queue director" is a trivial low-level job much more conducive to a smile.

I felt welcomed, valued even.

No doubt you did after the simply unspeakable mistreatment you've long suffered in Thailand. Me, I usually feel welcomed to be back in Thailand. ????

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I joined the queue at Da Nang airport.  There were three desks in operation: ASEAN; Viets; & others.  This latter got quite long (hordes of farangs casing out where to take their pensions?).  A smiling official opened another gate and halved this queue.  I felt welcomed, valued even.

Same experience in Nha Trang.  Place is like warm, friendly, and very welcoming.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I joined the queue at Da Nang airport.  There were three desks in operation: ASEAN; Viets; & others.  This latter got quite long (hordes of farangs casing out where to take their pensions?).  A smiling official opened another gate and halved this queue.  I felt welcomed, valued even.

When I was there last year they all had that IO serious look that all countries have

To expect them all to sit there fat dumb and happy is kinda ridiculous. 

I just arrived at Fast Track.  Small queue but everyone ahead of me could not comprehend the instructions despite being in their native language and an animation showing exactly what to do.  It for me added no great delay as the IO did his thing and I did mine at the same time.  However I can read,  understand right from left and I guess growing up with the Flintstones meant the animations were clear. 

Upon exiting luggage I'd say most non Caucasians were getting their luggage X-rayed. With a prominent sign as to limits on cigarettes and booze. I just looked around them all and left.  

Quiet airport but hordes of police types everywhere. 

Edited by grandpollo

Let's wait for the new immigration chief announce that due to the expense of fitting these new enhanced check machines for facial recognition and fingerprinting, there is to be an additional charge put on the price of the air ticket, the same as they did for the last ' improved ' system and shortly, no doubt, to be followed by the health insurance charges etc

The departure tax is now included in the ticket, not long before these additional fees and taxes will cost more than the price of the airline ticket!

Thailand trying to ' gouge ' every baht from every person, tourist or transit.

• Like 1