Non Imm O multi v Retirement extension

Currently on a retirement extension ending soon. My choice is either go for another extension (through an agent) or go to Savannakhet for a multi entry non O based on marriage to a Thai. Obviously with the 2nd choice I will have to do 3 monthly visa runs which I dont mind but are there any other pros and cons of either? Any advice appreciated.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could change to an extension based upon marriage. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

Thank for replying. I dont have 400k in a thai bank so I will go to savannakhet to apply for a new visa. If I did I would do this.

Edited by johnny1966
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

Inadequate funds in a bank account.

Are you aware with the Non Imm O ME Visa, you can obtain 60 day extension (1,900 BHT) to each 90 day entry. If used correctly, you can also stay for almost 17 months with only 3 border runs, before applying for a new Visa.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Are you aware with the Non Imm O ME Visa, you can obtain 60 day extension (1,900 BHT) to each 90 day entry. If used correctly, you can also stay for almost 17 months with only 3 border runs, before applying for a new Visa.

I wasnt aware of that. So I assume I do an extension at an immigration office before each 3 month period. What is required to do the extension?

21 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

I wasnt aware of that. So I assume I do an extension at an immigration office before each 3 month period.

Yes.

21 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

What is required to do the extension?

Completed TM7 form.

The fee 1,900 BHT.

Passport.

Copy of ID page of passport.

Copy of Visa (Non Imm O ME).

Copy of last entry stamp.

Copy of TM6 card.

Copy of wife's Tabien Baan. (Assuming she's also the home owner).

Copy of wife's ID card.

Copy of marriage certificate.

Wife must be in attendance.

No financial proof required.

I assume you've previously filed a TM30?

You may be required to submit a new TM30 after each re-entry.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes.

Completed TM7 form.

The fee 1,900 BHT.

Passport.

Copy of TM6 card.

Copy of wife's ID card.

I assume you've previously filed a TM30?

You may be required to submit a new TM30 after each re-entry.

Thank you. My retirement extension (which expires this month) was got through an agent who obtained the extension through an upcountry office. I have not done a TM30. I assume the address I am registered at is in Si saket. If I apply for a non immigrant O ME visa based on marriage at savannakhet (hence my retirement extension will be invalid once I leave Thailand), what is the status with my address....Tm30 etc?

9 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

Thank you. My retirement extension (which expires this month) was got through an agent who obtained the extension through an upcountry office. I have not done a TM30. I assume the address I am registered at is in Si saket. If I apply for a non immigrant O ME visa based on marriage at savannakhet (hence my retirement extension will be invalid once I leave Thailand), what is the status with my address....Tm30 etc?

Which office issued the extension?

What Province do you currently reside and is your wife the home owner.

I wouldn't 'assume' what address was used to obtain your previous extension by an agent

If I were you, on obtaining your Non Imm O and re-entering, I'd immediately file a TM30 with your local Immigration office. They may also request a TM28, change of address.

Your office could refuse any extension if you haven't previously filed a TM30 and probably fine you for non compliance of the law.

Sent a PM.

Edited by Tanoshi

This question is about what suits YOU. 

When I first came here (first time in my 50,s) I did visa exempt. Had the Thai gf, still have same one several yrs later. I loved it. Perfect excuse to exit los for few days. Now on extensions (retirement). I would LOVE to have multi non o for visit Thai wife. My lips are watering. ... This is most appropriate if you live bkk. I fly every few weeks Saigon. Why do guys married here do the lawns and clean the pool. To each there own

• Confused 1

If on a married non o multi, can one get a work permit if you are married. I see the Multi O based on marriage an ideal way to give time to either have 400,000 in bank or show 12 months deposits in bank if able to make the trip based on health for long trip from Chiangmai to Savannakhet. Should I try local extension first to see if lienciency is given for 8 months of 51,000 would be accepted?

12 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes.

Completed TM7 form.

The fee 1,900 BHT.

Passport.

Copy of TM6 card.

Copy of wife's ID card.

I quit doing extensions on my non O because Pathum Thani imm. always ask me for financial proof. The last time I did one was 3+ years ago, but they've always been a hassle.

13 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Would this also apply to a Non O obtained from London based on being in receipt of my UK State Pension, I am not married.

If so does it mean I wouldn’t have too leave Thailand every 90 Days ?

2 hours ago, Danthai said:

If on a married non o multi, can one get a work permit if you are married.

Yes.

2 hours ago, Danthai said:

Should I try local extension first to see if lienciency is given for 8 months of 51,000 would be accepted?

You have nothing to lose by trying.

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Would this also apply to a Non O obtained from London based on being in receipt of my UK State Pension, I am not married.

If so does it mean I wouldn’t have too leave Thailand every 90 Days ?

Unfortunately No.

The 60 day extensions are only available to those visiting a Thai wife.

You would have to exit and re-enter every 90 days, but if you enter just before the 'enter before' date on the Visa you receive another 90 days, taking your stay up to almost 15 months before obtaining a new Visa, or alternatively apply to extend your permission to stay for 1 year at local Immigration.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Unfortunately No.

You would have to exit and re-enter every 90 days, but if you enter just before the 'enter before' date on the Visa you receive another 90 days, taking your stay up to almost 15 months before obtaining a new Visa, or alternatively apply to extend your permission to stay for 1 year at local Immigration.

Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I quit doing extensions on my non O because Pathum Thani imm. always ask me for financial proof. The last time I did one was 3+ years ago, but they've always been a hassle.

Financial proof should only be requested if applying for a 1 year extension permit.

For a 60 day extension of permission to stay, no financials should be required.

48 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Unfortunately No.

Thanks for the info but I do not understand the highlighted verse . How can you enter before the visa becomes active ? The way that I understood it was when the non o m/e visa was about to expire , if you leave and re-enter by air or a simple border crossing out & in , that will give an extra 90 days ?

I was not aware that a 1 year extension could be had from the local immigration office . Could you please give info on what is required paper wise and fees .

2 minutes ago, superal said:

Thanks for the info but I do not understand the highlighted verse . How can you enter before the visa becomes active ? The way that I understood it was when the non o m/e visa was about to expire , if you leave and re-enter by air or a simple border crossing out & in , that will give an extra 90 days ?

You've misinterpreted the 'enter before' date

The Visa is 'active' from the date it is issued. You can enter anytime up until the 'enter before' date of the Visa, at which point the Visa has expired. By exiting and re-entering just before the 'enter before' (Visa expiry) date you are granted another 90 days permission of stay.

The validity of a Visa and the validity of your permission to stay are different.

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau.

16 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Why is not an extension based on marriage an option.

Because it will cost him much more hassle. The OP is probably worried, and rightly so, that renewing his retirement extentions will also cost him a lot more hassle with all the different IO offices having their own interpretation of the rules and them changing from day to day.

If he does not mind the border runs for up to 15 months, then going to Savannakhet would be his best bet.

I know through my own experience with the O visa based on marriage.

50 minutes ago, superal said:

I was not aware that a 1 year extension could be had from the local immigration office . Could you please give info on what is required paper wise and fees .

You can apply for a 1 year extension of permission of stay within the last 30 days of any 90 day entry from an O Visa.

You are extending your permission of stay, not the 'O' Visa, which will expire on the 'enter before' date.

An extension, is a permit (not a Visa) issued by local Immigration offices within Thailand.

The basic financial requirements for an extension based on retirement are;

(Very first application only)

1. 800,000 THB deposited with a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application,

OR

2. 65,000 BHT transferred from a foreign bank to a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, OR

3. A combination of funds and Income that total 800,000 BHT per annum.

(Funds of 200,000 BHT in a Thai bank and 2 x monthly transfers of 50,000 for 1st application).

OR

4. An Embassy Income letter (unless your from the UK, USA, Australia or Denmark).

For further extensions the financial requirements are based on 12 months proof of funds or/and income and have further conditions attached depending on the method used.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Because it will cost him much more hassle.

Only for those who can't/don't supply the correct documentation or meet the financial requirements.

For the rest of us it's plain sailing.

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The OP is probably worried, and rightly so, that renewing his retirement extentions will also cost him a lot more hassle with all the different IO offices having their own interpretation of the rules and them changing from day to day.

The OP was on a marriage extension (not retirement), and doesn't have the required funds to renew.

The rules do not change day to day.

Agree different offices have different interpretations and their own set of requirements, but once familiar with what the requirements are at you local IO, then it shouldn't be a problem, provided you meet their requirements.

Same , same for Amphoe's, DLT offices in different Provinces.