Former leader Abhisit resigns MP seat as Democrats back Prayut return

webfact

By The Nation

aa99efe5779159b4285a17ef72e6b769.jpeg

Former Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has tendered his resignation as an MP from the country’s oldest party following its decision to support incumbent Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha as the next premier.

Abhisit, who is the party’s No. 1 party-list MP, announced his resignation at TOT on Chaeng Wattana Road just hours before the joint Parliament was scheduled to vote to elect the next PM at 11am on Wednesday.

The Democrats yesterday resolved to join the pro-junta bloc led by Phalang Pracharat Party in forming a coalition government, and to vote for Prayut as the next premier.

c2a56eb25f9302b71804415ba87479e2.jpeg

“As an MP I cannot walk into the meeting room and vote against my party’s resolution. In the meantime, I cannot vote to support Prayut because it will break the promise I gave to the people,” Abhisit said during his press conference.

Before the March 24 election, Abhisit, then the Democrat leader, had appealed for support from voters by declaring his party would not support Prayut’s return to power as prime minister, nor would it ally with any corrupt politicians.

The former PM resigned from the party leadership after the Democrats won only 53 House seats in the election.

62ddb967de6b6b488a9d7d9af90f72db.jpeg

He said he would continue to cling to his earlier stance to prove that the power belongs to the people and the country needs a democracy based on integrity.

He also apologised to his supporters who had voted Democrat, saying he was sorry to have disappointed them.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30370586

thenation_logo.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Can the former "butcher" be prosecuted now? ????

Should be, but you and I know that ain't going to happen unless it was in an international court and the international community aren't really interested in how Thailand is travelling, really.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Why couldn't he have voted against Prayut first and then resigned?

He is a man who long ago sold his "soul" to the highest bidder, I wouldn't even attempt to try and understand his "reasoning"!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Sounds like he remembers what it is to have a spine. 

We live in the vain hope some others follow suite.

4 others resigned including Abhisit's nephew Parit. At least those 2, and I am assuming the others from the Khaosod article, were party list candidates, and will be replaced by others willing to accept the party line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

4 others resigned including Abhisit's nephew Parit. At least those 2, and I am assuming the others from the Khaosod article, were party list candidates, and will be replaced by others willing to accept the party line. 

This will, at least for today's session mean there are a few less members to vote for the pre-eminent PM. The shuffling of chairs later will happen. The constituency MPs can keep their seat and change party if they want or cause a by-election. I'm not sure about party list MPs, does the party just nominate new members. Remember they were all sworn in as MPs last week.

32 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

This will, at least for today's session mean there are a few less members to vote for the pre-eminent PM. The shuffling of chairs later will happen. The constituency MPs can keep their seat and change party if they want or cause a by-election. I'm not sure about party list MPs, does the party just nominate new members. Remember they were all sworn in as MPs last week.

List of names, far more than needed, submitted before the election. When someone resigns or dies, next on the list is automatically installed, but I'm unsure of how fast this procedure takes place. But Khaosod said "With the 54 MPs commanded by the Democrats on its side, the pro-junta coalition will likely sail to an easy victory when parliament convenes for the vote later today." From the article discussing Abhisit resignation.

Edited by Ozman52
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Should resign from the party with the other like minded members and form another party. I am sure they will be remembered and rewarded in the next election.

The party leader that led his party to 2 resounding defeats, and resigned in shame both times, should start his own party and try for a 3rd drubbing?

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Democrats yesterday resolved to join the pro-junta bloc led by Phalang Pracharat Party in forming a coalition government, and to vote for Prayut as the next premier.

Clear as crystal.. pigs selling their souls to get self enrichment at the peoples cost!

I'm sure they'll make merit & all will be forgiven!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

The party leader that led his party to 2 resounding defeats, and resigned in shame both times, should start his own party and try for a 3rd drubbing?

Better than stay with the party infested with cockroaches supporting the military. He got better chance with a new party or quit politics for good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nahkit said:

“As an MP I cannot walk into the meeting room and vote against my party’s resolution"

Since when an MP cannot vote against the party resolution?

He certainly did not have such high moral considerations in the past.

More likely, he has realized he is at the end of his career and prefers to exit with a little bang.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

As an MP I cannot walk into the meeting room and vote against my party’s resolution. In the meantime, I cannot vote to support Prayut because it will break the promise I gave to the people,”

They are already thinking about the next election.
The coalition will be needed next time too because "conservatives" have

stable 10% of real support (hi-so, middle class, army and bureaucracy)

36 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Better than stay with the party infested with cockroaches supporting the military. He got better chance with a new party or quit politics for good. 

How sweet you are el and so ironic...

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

You mean TS?

He took care of 2000+ so called drug dealers, they were all dead.

No! I'm talking about the Geordie lad, schooled at Eton, mates with Cameron, went onto Oxford, lives on Suk Soi 33 - that's who the thread is about is it not? The man who upheld democracy and looked after "his" people? Ideal candidate wasn't he ???? 

"Abhisit then as the Butcher of Bangkok because his government was responsible for the largest-ever official number of deaths in political protests in Thailand"

Edited by CGW
  • Confused 1