Japanese man arrested on nearly 19 year overstay in Thailand

webfact

24 minutes ago, Suttoh said:

Yep I’d say he was put in for sure, if you’ve been there 19 years must have pissed off someone, hope he remembers his Japanese friends

Be handy if he can still speak Japanese 

• Haha 1

Wonder who the woman standing in the background is. Presumably his wife, don't you think? At age 76, doubt he'll ever be legally allowed to return to Thailand. Wonder what'll happen to her.

Edit: Entirely possible that if someone reported him motive could just as easily have been that the wife pissed someone off, and her husband was reported to get back at her. It seems to me like the number of foreigners in the countryside has dropped off and the ones remaining stand out more. I feel like I encounter a lot more suspicious looks when I encounter people I've never seen before. There's this 'stranger danger, maybe he's up to no good, not from around here leariness, doesn't belong here' mentality that has set in. All the publicity about foreigners being arrested for overstay has tainted the image of foreigners as potential criminals. 
I heard there were 1000s of farang overstayers in Isaan, it's where they go
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Silly bugger upset someone, maybe an ex-wife, maybe someone who asked to borrow money.

Immigration did not just turn up without out someone snitching on him.

YEP!!  Thais will flush us all out!  There is a bounty on ALL foreigners here and the entire country has banded together to make sure we do not stay.

4d16a702b639d272bb82e755cb211d3e82c9a18cb3f9cfa55a395bc297ffeb0b.jpg

Edited by mike787
  • Haha 2

Most of the raids in BKK since last year were on the tip of locals. At the same time police will not go to register a foreigner but locals can inform to check on new face in isolated communities.

ABNB Ekkamai rental raid of last month was also reported by occupantsnof same condo and charged a foreigner for not reporting.

Japanese guy or his family must have pissed someone really bad.

• Like 1