Transferwise international transfers heads up

1 hour ago, cassde said:

I undertook two further TW transfers on the 8th July, called them in the UK to tag them in favour of Bangkok Bank, with my activity file showing that the money will be in my account after 4pm on the 9th. 4pm came and went and today (10th) after a 9 minute call to the UK, I received an activity entry showing both payments to be made tomorrow evening! I won't hold my breath.

This will be the last time I use TW because their Payments Team  cannot be trusted to follow through what their Customer Service operatives tell the customer, both verbally and in messages. 

I wait my transfer since Monday evening. Also talked with UK TW support, transfer should arrive today but not yet. For now I not surprised - BBL ALWAYS deposit international transfers at 14:03 - 14:05 Thailand time. 

I hadn't checked the code on the July entry to my BKK Bank account, but the Immigration Officer who approved my extension today was surprised that it was SMT, instead of FTT as all the earlier ones were. She decided to accept it as legit because of the size and maybe because they have all arrived pretty close to the 5th of the month. On the other hand this officer has handled my applications for at least five years, so recognizes me and is confident I'm legit. Maybe that helped. I think Immigration head office is going to recognize the problem and issue instructions on how to handle it. For example, today there was some comment between the officers today that this is the first year of the new system. 

1 hour ago, MeowBundit said:

I wait my transfer since Monday evening. Also talked with UK TW support, transfer should arrive today but not yet. For now I not surprised - BBL ALWAYS deposit international transfers at 14:03 - 14:05 Thailand time. 

Yes. my recent TW transfers of Stg from UK to BBL, last week and this week, have taken two days as opposed to the usual next day, if not same day, service. Their recent performance has been a big step down from previous levels, especially given their recent price increase / FTT issues. Not good at all.

I have asked TW to explain the recent delays so will see what they say. No doubt it will be couched in terms of 'but that's what we advised' rather than why the change from past practice. Maybe time to look around at alternatives given the FTT/SMT coding uncertainty for BBL transfers.

6 hours ago, dabhand said:

I opened an account with Halifax (CC + bank account) a couple of years back. Done online and with a UK address, but they needed me to do an ID / address verification (passport + UK DL), in person, at any Halifax branch in the UK before they would activate the accounts.

Did you need to do a similar verification check in person?

I opened my account about 5 years ago and not recently so looks like they updated their procedures. Which would require one to take a trip home to do  it now.

53 minutes ago, Acharn said:

I hadn't checked the code on the July entry to my BKK Bank account, but the Immigration Officer who approved my extension today was surprised that it was SMT, instead of FTT as all the earlier ones were. She decided to accept it as legit because of the size and maybe because they have all arrived pretty close to the 5th of the month. On the other hand this officer has handled my applications for at least five years, so recognizes me and is confident I'm legit. Maybe that helped. I think Immigration head office is going to recognize the problem and issue instructions on how to handle it. For example, today there was some comment between the officers today that this is the first year of the new system. 

Didn't Immigration require you to give them a bank letter showing all your monthly transfers?

Everything is going crazy at TW now.

1- Did a transfer last night and called to have it tagged. Was to arrive today, then tomorrow and now to arrive Friday.

2- Did another transfer now and called to have it tagged. Was to arrive Friday and now to arrive next Wednesday.

Serious issues with them-not happy at all.

On 7/9/2019 at 4:31 PM, tracy3eyes said:

If you transfer from the Halifax in the UK you will get an FTT code. You can open an account online. I know because I just tested it.

Also, from the La Caixa bank in Spain you get a FTT code.

Unfortunately, getting an FTT transfer code once does not guarantee you'll get it every time, as we know from recent posts.

My 2 transfers paid for on 8th July, are expected by 4pm Thai time today. I won't hold my breath! It is the last time I use TW as their Payments section cannot be trusted to follow through with what Customer Service operatives are telling customers, either by message or telephone. Instead, I shall use SWIFT through my HSBC account, or Remitly UK who promise same day or next business day delivery for marginally more expensive fees than TW. Fo the first transfer Remitly fees are free, but on a £800 transfer they charge 456 baht more than TW and a transfer fee of £12.99

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tracy3eyes said:

Just direct from Halifax Uk using swift. And it arrives FTT

Transferwise has already stated they cannot guarantee the FTT code

Many posters have recieved both

So on the basis that yourself and a few other people have recieved the FTT code we are supposed to think everything is OK?

Are you prepared to risk your extension when you suddenly realise they haven't been coming through this way for a few months and the ensuing panic to try and sort it out

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

So on the basis that yourself and a few other people have recieved the FTT code we are supposed to think everything is OK?

Are you prepared to risk your extension when you suddenly realise they haven't been coming through this way for a few months and the ensuing panic to try and sort it out

BINGO

4 hours ago, Dene16 said:

I wait transfer for now, and in case it arrived as not international, will look for other options. I can't initiate swift from sending bank remotely. 

13 hours ago, tracy3eyes said:

Just direct from Halifax Uk using swift. And it arrives FTT

5 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Just re reading tracy's post Dene and it would appear the transfer was done direct using swift not TW (it was early this morning when i posted lol)

Thats exactly what i did yesterday using swift direct from HSBC UK to SCB and it appeared as a foreign transaction on my SCB statement

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Just re reading tracy's post Dene and it would appear the transfer was done direct using swift not TW (it was early this morning when i posted lol)

Thats exactly what i did yesterday using swift direct from HSBC UK to SCB and it appeared as a foreign transaction on my SCB statement

Always will as opposed to TW which despite their assurances is a lottery. 

Peace of mind >saving a few baht. 

• Like 1

Just a further heads up, I use T/W for funds transfer to meet monthly minimum from my Australian account and all deposits in my SCB passbook show as X1. The official statement shows a further coding of MCL00001 which someone on here got clarification from another Bank that this means International Transfer delivered from other bank with API system ( Application Programming Interface )

I went for my extension this morning and my I O only asked where my money came from, I showed him a printout of all transfers for the last six months and Transferwise Australian account and the explanation of MCL code, he was happy , so was I. Application approved by him and now sent for approval to who knows where, come back when we ring you. 

I will admit to being nervous earlier this year but I have done what the regulations state and apart from the questionable number of photocopies it was quite easy.

End result is I will continue using T/W , they have always been quick and their rate compared with my Australian bank is  at least one baht more per dollar, 2500 baht in my area buys at least three VERY good lunches per month.

A final note, T/W always show TMB as Thai partner bank , obviously API equiped and coded as such

Edited by PJPom
extra info
  • Like 1

My two transactions arrived today just about 1410 hours, but it is the last time I shall use TW. I prefer SWIFT or Remitly, whose policy is same day transfer for an extra fee. I am waiting to hear from them as to whether their transactions are marked as International Transfers, but Bangkok Bank is one of their partners, so it should be ok.

1 hour ago, cassde said:

My two transactions arrived today just about 1410 hours, but it is the last time I shall use TW. I prefer SWIFT or Remitly, whose policy is same day transfer for an extra fee. I am waiting to hear from them as to whether their transactions are marked as International Transfers, but Bangkok Bank is one of their partners, so it should be ok.

Just beware, though: since it would appear from your final sentence that Bangkok Bank is not the only agency bank which Remitly use for transfers into Thailand (as is the case with TransferWise), you would probably run the risk of jumping from the frying-pan into the fire on the coding front!

6 hours ago, PJPom said:

End result is I will continue using T/W , they have always been quick and their rate compared with my Australian bank is  at least one baht more per dollar, 2500 baht in my area buys at least three VERY good lunches per month.

A final note, T/W always show TMB as Thai partner bank , obviously API equiped and coded as such

They still not yet send out my funds since Monday. I afraid this is not some software upgrade, but something bad. Better pay for SWIFT guaranteed and clear, and bank which you may always reach in any case. 

BEWARE OF SCAM! Who is using transferwise, you risk your money!

Updated: transfer was sent a minute ago and later than usual. They promise to arrive 15 July, Monday. One week to transfer.... Guys really saving couple of bucks for SWIFT not really count of nerves, I not mention risks to lose your funds. 

Edited by MeowBundit

47 minutes ago, MeowBundit said:

Updated: transfer was sent a minute ago and later than usual. They promise to arrive 15 July, Monday. One week to transfer.... Guys really saving couple of bucks for SWIFT not really count of nerves, I not mention risks to lose your funds. 

Probably scam is not quite the right word... but I get the gist of your feelings ...

I agree that if you ordered on Monday, as it appears from your previous posts ... and also paid on that Monday and then they didn't 'send' the money until this morning Thai time ... then in my experience that is quite unusual and unacceptable.  

My last transfer was on the 3rd and I received the money before 3pm on the 4th and FTT in my bank book 

I posted 'somewhere' earlier that XendPay may be an alternative ... I used them up to when I changed to TW more than two years ago now.

Suppose that I'm fortunate in that if it doesn't come as FTT I can try again and if fails again can try somewhere else or revert to money in the bank ... but if you don't have that option I can understand your predicament and your strong anti opinion of TW .

Please post when it turns up and if it shows as FTT ... have a nice rest of the day ...

From what I read it seems several/many are having problems with TW ... hope it is only short term ...

Reply I received this morning from Transferwise to my request to tag my account to only use Bangkok Ban

Greetings from TransferWise!

Unfortunately, there is no way we can guarantee that the payment can/will be sent out via Bangkok Bank.

In cases where we can't send the transfer via Bangkok Bank, our system will automatically route it via another available partner, to avoid any delays.

As this is a automated process, we can't stop the transfer from going out.

Thanks for your understanding p- Do let us know if you have any further questions, we are happy to help.

Have a great day!

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:51 AM, Dene16 said:

I sent a test transferwise payment last week and it hit my Bangkok Bank account with a SMT code! So won't be using them. Will use Halifax because they send direct to Bangkok Bank and you get FTT.

16 hours ago, PJPom said:

I went for my extension this morning and my I O only asked where my money came from, I showed him a printout of all transfers for the last six months and Transferwise Australian account and the explanation of MCL code, he was happy , so was I. Application approved by him and now sent for approval to who knows where, come back when we ring you. 

Question: at any time did you see the immigration officer spin below wheel to determine whether to accept your explanation of the Transferwise transfer?  If so, it landed on Yes (this time).

image.png.3fa2c65dad6d03ad543b03d72a81e020.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MeowBundit said:

When you first did the transfer what method did you use to send the money to TW?

When did you get a response email to confirm they had received your money?

27 minutes ago, Pib said:

Question: at any time did you see the immigration officer spin below wheel to determine whether to accept your explanation of the Transferwise transfer?  If so, it landed on Yes (this time).

image.png.3fa2c65dad6d03ad543b03d72a81e020.png

I have read a lot of horror stories about dealing with Immigration but wonder about the attitude of posters.

I treated the IO as a person doing a job , not as an opponent and explained clearly any points he had problems with, end result , job done.

I have no complaints, here for another year.

• Like 1