Drug allegations a move to oust govt, says new minister

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Sorry not clear.

Thammanat go jail for heroin.

Seriphisut complain about him yesterday. I put the link to show that he not “the angel” also. 

They are are both in the parliament.

Tanatorn never do anything bad before. Only MAYBE do a document a little bit late. Not the criminal guy at all. He the good, honest, polite guy. MAYBE use his car to deive anti junta friend home.

But Tanatorn get cancel, but this two guy, and many other guy like mafia, no problem to stay in parliament.

I just try to say it is not fairness.

Hope you understand now how I mean it.

Reading the link you provided, Seriphisut seem a uncompromising cop that went after untouchable mafia leaders, gambling dens and tried to reform the police. Seem a good stand-out cop; not how you portrayed him. Comparing with that scum Thammanas is like oil and water. Don't you think so? 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I also know the secrets of many political parties I have worked with,” he said without elaborating. 

Just what the country needs. A potential blackmailer in Parliament.

Maybe that's why Prayut put him there for protection against any opposition attacks??

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

If he has been convicted and served jail for a drugs related charge shouldn't that automatically disqualify him? Anyone here know the rules related to this?

Only a conviction in Thailand counts apparently according the story in “the other paper”.

Of course, in most other countries he would have been vetted out during the pre-selection process. .....

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I tried to find more about his conviction.

Curious he doesn't show in any searches in Thailand nor (with & without VPN) in Australia, especially with regard to Australia drug conviction and prison to which he admits did occur.

Did he use a different name there?

The only place I find his name "Thammanas Phromphao" is a search in Thai Visa Google but only in connection with his recent appointment as deputy agriculture minister. Yet, he was described as "a key figure in the coalition leading Phalang Pracharat Party."

A couple of days ago there was mention in a TV thread that he has changed his name 4 times.

35 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Reading the link you provided, Seriphisut seem a uncompromising cop that went after untouchable mafia leaders, gambling dens and tried to reform the police. Seem a good stand-out cop; not how you portrayed him. Comparing with that scum Thammanas is like oil and water. Don't you think so? 

Yes. Heroin is worse. 

I not compare them that way. But he have problem before. How you think he be successful cop? Have legal problem before. Have more thing than wiki say.

Tanatorn have no problem before. I think best guy for Thailand. My opinion.

36 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Sorry not clear.

Thammanat go jail for heroin.

Seriphisut complain about him yesterday. I put the link to show that he not “the angel” also. 

They are are both in the parliament.

Tanatorn never do anything bad before. Only MAYBE do a document a little bit late. Not the criminal guy at all. He the good, honest, polite guy. MAYBE use his car to deive anti junta friend home.

But Tanatorn get cancel, but this two guy, and many other guy like mafia, no problem to stay in parliament.

I just try to say it is not fairness.

Hope you understand now how I mean it.

Thanks for explaining, I understand now. It looks like Thammanat and Seriphisut as as bad as each other. Same as the rest of the government.

I saw a youtube video interview with Thanatorn in English on a Chiang Mai radio/TV station. Not only is his English very good, he also comes across as very straight and speaks very naturally about the problems facing Thailand.

I wish him luck, because he is going to need it, with the way the military government (who say they aren't) don't like criticism. They will make up anything to stop it, including persecution of anyone reading 1984, by charging them with "eating a sandwich with political intent" in June 2014.

Let's get something real clear here:

"failing to report a drug deal" DOES NOT put you in jail in Australia.  that would attract a fine and a suspended sentence AT WORST. 

To finish up in jail it takes a dirty track record with prior charges. The word "allegation DOES NOT apply here.  He was found guilty of a crime, charged and served a sentence - - - ALL FACTS.

It will only be a matter of research and time to see what Australian public records produce.

It seems a lot of the current "info" about this guy's past is coming from his own accounts... and not much independent detail/reporting... Which tends to make his accounts pretty questionable, and probably a sugar coated version of whatever actually occurred.

https://thaipoliticalprisoners.wordpress.com/tag/thammanat-prompao/

And...

BANGKOK — A deputy PM confirmed on Wednesday that a Phalang Pracharat MP nominated to the incoming cabinet is eligible despite allegations he has been convicted of a crime in another country.

Wissanu Krea-Ngam said Capt. Thammanat Prompao’s eligibility for a seat in the cabinet is not in question because he is not being prosecuted by the Thai judiciary.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/07/10/a-convicted-mp-can-become-minister-deputy-pm/

So, it's OK to be a convicted criminal abroad, just so long as you don't get convicted in Thailand??? 

:ph34r:

PS - Interesting that the Khaosod article above has the following addendum at the bottom of the article:

Parts of this article were removed per Khaosod’s advice to avoid possible legal action. 

58 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting that the Khaosod article above has the following addendum at the bottom of the article:

The Australian Federal Police is responsible for the collection, collation and recording of court outcomes relating to criminal and traffic prosecutions. It apparently provides information freely to foreign law enforcement agencies, prosecution and judicial services. https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/services/criminal-records

But for individuals there is a paid search option by an individual but restricted only to the individual making the request, ie., by Thammanas. Maybe a House MP or House committee can make the request for more information as they only have Thammanas' word as to the details of his arrest and conviction.

8 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The Australian Federal Police is responsible for the collection, collation and recording of court outcomes relating to criminal and traffic prosecutions. It apparently provides information freely to foreign law enforcement agencies, prosecution and judicial services. https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/services/criminal-records

But for individuals there is a paid search option by an individual but restricted only to the individual making the request, ie., by Thammanas. Maybe a House MP or House committee can make the request for more information as they only have Thammanas' word as to the details of his arrest and conviction.

The Political Prisoners blog post I linked to above includes the following mention:

Apparently responding to the AFP story from 1998 that’s being widely circulated

So apparently there's some contemporaneous news media reports from back at that time...even if they may not be readily accessible online... There were newspapers and news reports prior to everything moving to the Internet, after all! And archives and records kept of those reports in various ways/places.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFP story from 1998

I believe his arrest was in 1993 so very old news even for hard copy retention.

The quickest solution would be for the Australian Embassy in Thailand to make a request for public interest purpose and to set the record straight. Conversely, the Thai Embassy in Australia could make the request ????.

17 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

Failing to report a drug deal seems a strange offence.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not when you were perpetrator but  couldn't be proven in an Aussie court - which of course wouldn't have mattered in Thailand in his case -  not guilty, next case please- just make sure it's part of the riff-raff as I need to bang someone up today. 

3 hours ago, newatthis said:

Just what the country needs. A potential blackmailer in Parliament.

Maybe that's why Prayut put him there for protection against any opposition attacks??

But fairly normal procedure so as as you use  initials for identification and names or full name-- don't want any defamation cases. 

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for explaining, I understand now. It looks like Thammanat and Seriphisut as as bad as each other. Same as the rest of the government.

I saw a youtube video interview with Thanatorn in English on a Chiang Mai radio/TV station. Not only is his English very good, he also comes across as very straight and speaks very naturally about the problems facing Thailand.

I wish him luck, because he is going to need it, with the way the military government (who say they aren't) don't like criticism. They will make up anything to stop it, including persecution of anyone reading 1984, by charging them with "eating a sandwich with political intent" in June 2014.

I do talk to Thanathorn often he is on my friends list and yes his English

is very good and I am sure he does not use Google translate

On 7/11/2019 at 9:34 PM, rkidlad said:

He’s also claimed that he wasn’t deported after he was released from prison. He was deported later, and that was because the mayor of Sydney didn’t like Asians who formed groups and he didn’t have perminent residence. 

Do countries (especially the types of countries who don’t like groups of Asians) usually allow non-residents to stay in the country after being released from prison? 

I think he means gangs, but group sounds nice

On 7/11/2019 at 7:33 PM, snoop1130 said:

drugs related allegation against him was part of a political move aimed at bringing down the government, adding that he was getting ready to take legal action against the accusers.

early indication of the wrong guy for the job; doesnt like something and threatens to sue; childish

This is a man who openly admitted to being mafia connected to the press until his boss shut him down. And then further threatened “I also know the secrets of many political parties I have worked with,”. Well done PM your choice was obviously made based on like mindedness 

On 7/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, snoop1130 said:

He also maintained that he has never coveted a seat in the Cabinet, “but I have to work because the prime minister has given me tasks to complete”. 

Such a hero

he was in a flat, with 4 other people, where heroine deal for au$1.2bln was taking place. 

was arrested and held for 8 months, sentenced to 6 month community service. Deported sometimes after that, after 4 years staying and working in australia.

pardoned by the king in 2017 of any criminal record, so he can run for a political office.

every version of his story is different.

6 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

They came for the gold in the early 1800's and had to be restricted by immigration laws.

As were all non Europeans under what became known as the "White Australia Policy"

• 1 month later...

Archived