THAI close to sale of used aircraft to US firm

webfact

THAI close to sale of used aircraft to US firm

By THE NATION

800_cfa8a475d15db68.jpg?v=1563238330

Thai Airways International (THAI) expects to sign an agreement this month with a US logistics firm on the sale of eight used A340 aircraft worth between Bt4 billion to Bt4.5 billion, said President Sumeth Damrongchaitham.

The company is in the process of examining the contract before closing the sale deal of THAI aircraft to the private US company, he said adding that it also depends on the acceptance of the buyer. "We are studying details of the contract, especially in the area of pre-operational maintenance activities, " Sumeth said. 

In regard to THAI's plan for the purchase of 38 new aircraft, Sumeth said it had submitted the proposal to the Transport Ministry, pending consideration as a policy matter, before seeking approval from the Cabinet. 

"I would affirm that the purchase of new aircraft is quite necessary as it will raise our competitiveness. I believe the new administration will approve the plan," said Sumeth.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30373039

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-17

A couple of mercs for significant others on the way then. The price of 4-4.5Bn฿, or 123M$-145M$ would be selling at a loss, calculating the prices from A340-200 model being offloaded at unit cost of $187.5M.. Sure used, but...

There's just no hope for Thai Airways.....the national carrier is always in complete disarray.....never succeeds in new ventures and never seems to be able to have a president/ceo that know their job.

Talk about throwing good money after bad.....it never stops and we must save face.

Thailand will do okay, after all they are a tropical country that has tourists, especially every

Winte and people need to fly, even around Thailand. Also unlike the USA, they do not have

the same problems the USA airlines face everyday.

Geezer

21 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

Could someone please explain how buying 38 new aircraft is going to get Thai airwsys out of debt and make the airline more competitive????

New aircraft are much more fuel efficient, have much lower maintenance costs, and are also more appealing to the traveler, especially business travelers. Would you prefer to fly on an old 747 with ancient facilities? Or a brand spanking new A350? 

Upgrading the fleet makes perfect business sense. 

TG started to die in 1992 when Chatichai Boonya-Anantha was mandatorily retired reaching 60 years of age. He and his team of visionaries were the last aviation experts in that company. Ever since, TG was and still is in free fall. 
It is sad to see that one of the world's leading airlines today ranks somewhere between Nigerian Airways and Air Cameroon with something like Botswana Air in between. 
The service is terrible, the reliability to the time table is questionable and they quite clearly missed the boat into the 21st century. 
But then, who am I? Just opted for choice - as a customer - and have not used TG in years and will not do so unless there is no other alternative (today, luckily there are). The LCC are frugal but they also fly at a fraction of the price - your call! 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the sale of eight used A340 aircraft

Selling 8 and buying 38. So an existing total fleet of 82 has grown to 112, up 36%.

Does that mean the trading loss last year will go up 36% from 11.6 billion baht to nearly 16 billion baht.

Going by past history If these new 38 aircraft are fitted with Rolls Royce engines there could be a few envelopes around for the taking.

And there was me thinking that aircraft from western nations, migrated thru Asia, on there way to a death in deepest darkest Africa.

Lol... perhaps this is a byproduct of MAGA, wherein the US is now having to fly outdated pieces of crap above the heads of their 325 million citizens... I hope those red hats have a rigid lining, although the thick skulls beneath may, in need, be enough to stave off injury.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

"We are studying details of the contract, especially in the area of pre-operational maintenance activities, "

May be a problem, I understand there hasn't been any...

8 hours ago, jabis said:

A couple of mercs for significant others on the way then. The price of 4-4.5Bn฿, or 123M$-145M$ would be selling at a loss, calculating the prices from A340-200 model being offloaded at unit cost of $187.5M.. Sure used, but...

The problem with these A340s is that they use so much fuel that they are loss-making even if every seat is sold.

11 minutes ago, laocowboy2 said:

The problem with these A340s is that they use so much fuel that they are loss-making even if every seat is sold.

...A340-500 had the longest range of any airliner at one time. Thai used them for the Bangkok-New York non-stop flight. But I think they had to strip weight/some seats out of them to get the range.

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

It is sad to see that one of the world's leading airlines today ranks somewhere between Nigerian Airways and Air Cameroon with something like Botswana Air in between. 
The service is terrible, the reliability to the time table is questionable and they quite clearly missed the boat into the 21st century. 

I'd love to see the league table that you quoted those statistics from.

THAI service is not noticeably worse than most other comparable airlines and time table reliability depends mainly on the airport authorities, not the airline but, as someone who has not used the carrier in years, you wouldn't be expected to know that, would you?.

Exactly how has THAI "quite clearly missed the boat into the 21st century"

37 minutes ago, jany123 said:

And there was me thinking that aircraft from western nations, migrated thru Asia, on there way to a death in deepest darkest Africa.

Lol... perhaps this is a byproduct of MAGA, wherein the US is now having to fly outdated pieces of crap above the heads of their 325 million citizens... I hope those red hats have a rigid lining, although the thick skulls beneath may, in need, be enough to stave off injury.

What does Trump administration have to do with private airlines?

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

But then, who am I? Just opted for choice - as a customer - and have not used TG in years and will not do so unless there is no other alternative (today, luckily there are). The LCC are frugal but they also fly at a fraction of the price - your call! 

my last trip bkk/lhr was on the Thai A380, they were the cheapest for a one way ticket, the flight was good, as was the staff and food, departure and arrival were on time, the timings of the flight suited me for arrival and onward travel in the UK, i too had not used them for a few years, but after my trip with them i would consider them again. it seems they have stopped using the A380 for this route now.

3 minutes ago, inThailand said:

We expats see daily their idea of maintenance. The Three Stooges comes to mind.

My cars and motorcycles are all well maintained by experienced technicians and correct parts and I've never had any problems...

Where are you going for maintenance?

How many years have these planes been up for sale,

I hope they have started the engines every so often,

and kept the tyres blown up !.

In the past Thai bought airplanes with the best commissions

not the best suitability for the job,this lot been one of them.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Selling 8 and buying 38. So an existing total fleet of 82 has grown to 112, up 36%.

Does that mean the trading loss last year will go up 36% from 11.6 billion baht to nearly 16 billion baht.

Going by past history If these new 38 aircraft are fitted with Rolls Royce engines there could be a few envelopes around for the taking.

The active fleet size is 82; this does not include all of the planes they have deactivated or scrapped. There are others. The A340 has not been flown for a while and I think there will be one more left after this sale

50 minutes ago, DLock said:

Some people try to relate every issue to those who they detest.......or maybe are just jealous of.

After all one managed to become president of the US and his knocker.....well, he managers to post on TV, maybe even unassisted.

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Thailand will do okay, after all they are a tropical country that has tourists, especially every

Winte and people need to fly, even around Thailand. Also unlike the USA, they do not have

the same problems the USA airlines face everyday.

Geezer

only if you can fill the seats and for that they must be competitive on pricing

The A340's should never have been purchased in the first place but they felt that because Singapore Airlines was flying direct to New York they had too as well. The A340 was the only suitable ultra long haul that could achieve that.

They are a great aircraft to travel in as extra space was given (even in cattle class) as they knew 

that nearly 18 hours flying it was needed. (The A 340 is not a bad option for flights over 11 hours)

Some European airlines are still flying them to Bangkok

After that route proved to be not practical to fly they used them on the BKK/ Auckland direct

flight which I flew 6 times. Very comfortable.

The aircraft type is now a liability & the sooner they can dump them the better. If they can get a few bucks back they will be lucky. Sign the contract

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

my last trip bkk/lhr was on the Thai A380, they were the cheapest for a one way ticket, the flight was good, as was the staff and food, departure and arrival were on time, the timings of the flight suited me for arrival and onward travel in the UK, i too had not used them for a few years, but after my trip with them i would consider them again. it seems they have stopped using the A380 for this route now.

Only for low season, the A380 will be back in October. 

1 hour ago, DLock said:

You probably meant to ask.... how does buying flogged out heaps of crap from a third world country Make America Great Again..... Because.... Nobody said anything about the trump.

yall are obsessed by the trumps mismanagement, automatically assuming the worst of him... but I suppose I understand this leap.

but... what does the trump have to do with private airlines, you ask? Well... as you ask... he has set up a “regulatory reform task force” to deregulate existing rules, amongst other things... so the answer to your question would appear to be ... everything.... even though I wasn’t saying anything about A45.

Last week President Trump attempted to take credit for improving airline safety.  The truth? His Administration has quietly waged an aggressive campaign to roll back safety and consumer protections at the behest of the airline industry:

https://democracyforward.org/sidebar/airlines-and-the-trump-administration/

????????????

I used Thai airways last week for what I think was the first time. Crappiest airline I've used in a while, the 777-200's were broken, seat would not stay back, some of the attendant lights were on all the time and for some idiotic reason they darkened the plane on a flight in the middle of the day to ensure everyone could maximize their jetlag. Won't be going anywhere near them again. Certainly wouldn't be buying poorly maintained planes from them.

4 hours ago, jany123 said:

You probably meant to ask.... how does buying flogged out heaps of crap from a third world country Make America Great Again..... Because.... Nobody said anything about the trump.

yall are obsessed by the trumps mismanagement, automatically assuming the worst of him... but I suppose I understand this leap.

but... what does the trump have to do with private airlines, you ask? Well... as you ask... he has set up a “regulatory reform task force” to deregulate existing rules, amongst other things... so the answer to your question would appear to be ... everything.... even though I wasn’t saying anything about A45.

Last week President Trump attempted to take credit for improving airline safety.  The truth? His Administration has quietly waged an aggressive campaign to roll back safety and consumer protections at the behest of the airline industry:

https://democracyforward.org/sidebar/airlines-and-the-trump-administration/

????????????

Weak response.

Trump is just supporting the airline industries and their push with the FAA to reduce airline training hours in exceptional cases - most notably college training and military training programs.

So, tell me again how Trump and MAGA is forcing the "US is now having to fly outdated pieces of crap above the heads of their 325 million citizens".

Typical left wing liberal fake news unrelated to the question.

Try harder kid. 

Archived