Anyone Know a Friendly Amphur? - Pattaya

TMy fiance is divorced in Norway.  We need a single certificate to get married.  The Norwegian Embassy and Consulate will no longer " certify" documents even though they are originals from Norway.  Only can be done in Oslo at their Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then translated into English, then certified by the Thai Embassy also in Oslo, then taken to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok before being presented to the Amphur.  Does anyone know an "understanding" Amphur.  Please send private message if you do.  

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Getting the single certificate without having to go through the nightmare outlined in the original post. 

And what has the so called "friendly" Amphur to do with that? How can an Amphur in Thailand speed up or change something that has to do with Norway?

Edited by Matzzon

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

And what has the so called "friendly" Amphur to do with that? How can an Amphur in Thailand speed up or change something that has to do with Norway?

Reading between the lines - I think the OP is asking about the availability of a "brown envelope" solution.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kron said:

Maybe the Embassy will stamp the document 'as seen'. This might be enough for the Amphur.

The UK embassy will not even do that now. A lot of things have changed since 2005.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Checked the Norwegian embassy rules. 

They really have made their own rules that the Thais will not accept. 

They will want an embassy stamp. 

They will accept a Thai embassy stamp as the final step of getting the document legalized in your home country.

If you can get a stamp from your embassy here that will make them happy but not many will do it now.

18 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Does anyone know an "understanding" Amphur.

Has the divorce decree been translated to Thai and then the translation certified by the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA.

That is must have at all Amphoes. 

You might find a Amphoe that would do it with only that being done.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Has the divorce decree been translated to Thai and then the translation certified by the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA.

That is must have at all Amphoes. 

You might find a Amphoe that would do it with only that being done.

I think the roadblock comes when the MFA want the decree certified as genuine by the consulate. 

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think the roadblock comes when the MFA want the decree certified as genuine by the consulate. 

The Consular Affairs Department will not want the legalization done to certify a translation.

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The UK embassy will not even do that now. A lot of things have changed since 2005.

Indeed. Looks like from the OP that Norwegians are now required to go through a convoluted bureaucratic process for getting their Norwegian docs legalised which is pretty much identical to the one that we Brits are these days required to go through for our British docs.

22 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

In the OP's case I suspect that the MFA would, in practice, be more likely to be looking for some certification provided by the Royal Thai Embassy in Oslo at the conclusion of said convoluted bureaucratic process.

14 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Reading between the lines - I think the OP is asking about the availability of a "brown envelope" solution.

The Norwegian Embassy in Thailand refuses to stamp any document even if it is issued by the Norwegian government.  The process is so convoluted and laborious with first the 200 word Norwegian divorce decree having to be translated into Thai be a certified translator. Then the divorce decree and and translation have to be presented to a Notary Public available only at the District Court in Norway.  Then the notarized papers have to go to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Oslo to be certified.  Then the certified documents presented to the Thai Embassy in Oslo to be authenticated.  Then the authenticated documents presented to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Bangkok to be legalized and then finally the legalized document presented to the Amphur.  

Yes I am wondering if someone knows a Thai official that can waive all that Bullshit I know sometimes "extra fees" for waivers on many things are possible. PM me if you know of someone. 

36 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The process is so convoluted and laborious with first the 200 word Norwegian divorce decree having to be translated into Thai be a certified translator.

Why does it have to be translated to Thai for something done in Norway?

Then the certified documents presented to the Thai Embassy in Oslo to be authenticated. 

Not sure the translation to Thai to would be needed for that step. They might accept a translation to English if any is needed.

Then the authenticated documents presented to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Bangkok to be legalized and then finally the legalized document presented to the Amphur.  

The Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA would only certify the legalization done by the Thai embassy in Oslo and I am sure that is not needed by the Amphoe.

The translation to Thai would certainly have be certified by the them

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Joe am I misunderstanding something here, I have an appointment soon at the British embassy to get a single affidavit notarised and have just to take along my original decree? Updated April 2019 as per attachment.

DIVORCED_Application_pack_-_getting_married_in_Thailand.pdf

17 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Joe am I misunderstanding something here,

That was in response to getting a document certified.

They still do what you want to do.

Your divorce decree will not be needed at the Amphoe. You just show it to the embassy when you do the affirmation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Why does it have to be translated to Thai for something done in Norway?

Not sure the translation to Thai to would be needed for that step. They might accept a translation to English if any is needed.

The Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA would only certify the legalization done by the Thai embassy in Oslo and I am sure that is not needed by the Amphoe.

The translation to Thai would certainly have be certified by the them

We have been to the Amphoe twice.  They will not accept any translation whether it be in English or in Thai that has not been legalized.  We have been to the MFA in Bangkok and they will not legalize any Norwegian document that has not been stamped by the MFA in Oslo and then confirmed by the Thai Embassy in Oslo.  The point is not to quibble over minor issues on whether the Amphoe would accept an English translation.  The issue is if there is some way around this bureaucratic game of hop scotch from Thailand to Norway to visit multiple agencies there and multiple departments here in Thailand.