2019 NFL (U.S. Football) Season Games begin this Fri., Aug. 2

TallGuyJohninBKK

My U.S. TV broadcast schedules are showing that the 2019 NFL preseason will kickoff this Friday/tomorrow (Aug. 2 local time), with the Hall of Fame game with the Falcons and the Broncos airing on NBC and elsewhere starting at 7 a.m. local time.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules

Then the regular preseason will start the next week, with bunches of games airing starting Friday to Sunday (Aug 9-11), local time here, and thereafter.

The entire NFL preseason is supposed to be carried on U.S. cable TV and streaming services by the NFL Network channel, with all the preseason games there either broadcast live or tape delayed.

This year, the NFL games are also supposed to be available on mobile devices via either the official NFL app or the Yahoo Sports app, provided you're using a U.S. IP address. I'm not sure whether or not the NFL app this year will require authentication via an eligible cable or streaming subscription. But I'm pretty sure the Yahoo Sports app will NOT require any kind of authentication, other than a U.S. IP address.

Yahoo Sports app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.sportacular

Included in Yahoo Sports: 
NFL: Watch live local games, get scores, highlights, breaking news and stats

NFL app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gotv.nflgamecenter.us.lite

The live games feature in the NFL app is definitely supposed to work on phones, not clear whether it will also work on tablets.

Phone features:
• Live local and primetime games
• Live Playoffs and Super Bowl LIII
• NFL Combine and Draft Coverage

Phone and Tablet Features:
• All new Game Center with up-to-the-minute scoring, in-game highlights and drive charts
• NFL Network 24/7/365 with authentication
• Articles and video highlights featuring the latest stories and breaking news from all around the NFL
• Access to NFL Game Pass, NFL RedZone, NFL Shop, and more

TallGuyJohninBKK, I went through this before. Game Pass is no longer available in its old format in the US where you need a US IP address. Instead, it is available via YouTube and some other outlets only to subscribers of that outlet and as an ad hoc. So you pay for that outlet, plus, if you want, you also pay for Game Pass and those are only available in the US. Hence, you are paying for TV programs available only in the US plus GamePass.

For outside the US it’s much better as the NFL is trying to go global, and has a UK- Euro zone and then a separate everywhere else zone where Thailand is included in this zone. Blackouts occur in the US and Euro zones, but due to time zones, not here.

Now, I will have to go back and see from my emails with the NFL, who have been very helpful, despite my letting them know I am in Thailand. I recall Apple TV, Smart phones (too small of a screen for me) and X Box.

For me, if True comes through that would be the best, but if not I would have to shell out for XBox (games) plus GamePass and a fast enough broadband for Thailand, but the US IP address is no longer necessary. Note, make sure you subscribe to the everyone else zone which includes Thailand. Also, Game Pass used to be available the old way through Play Station, but it’s a different contract this year.

Now that Game Pass has easier ways to reach Thailand, if available to True, it would be cheaper for them, but GamePass may no longer rely on them due to their new system.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

46 minutes ago, Fusbol said:

TallGuyJohninBKK, I went through this before. Game Pass is no longer available in its old format in the US where you need a US IP address. Instead, it is available via YouTube and some other outlets only to subscribers of that outlet and as an ad hoc. So you pay for that outlet, plus, if you want, you also pay for Game Pass and those are only available in the US. Hence, you are paying for TV programs available only in the US plus GamePass.

Of course the U.S. version of NFL Gamepass alone is still available to U.S. residents, or U.S. IP users, as it's always been. Info at gamepass.nfl.com. But you won't see that site, or the plan/info below, unless you're accessing that site with a U.S. IP address, as has always been the case.

The U.S. version of GamePass for $100 is VOD only, not live games, because the NFL can't be directly competing with the major U.S. TV networks that are paying the NFL billions of dollars for the rights to broadcast live games in the U.S.  Thus, the VOD games become available for streaming shortly after the conclusion of the live game.

In my view, that really didn't matter in Thailand, because the times for most of the live games were either overnight or early morning hours here when people are typically sleeping.

1677488830_2019-08-0621_37_38.jpg.4eef639ef9f6fb63ddd7797a82b20ffb.jpg

5204696_2019-08-0621_50_37.jpg.4931c585379fd1b5aca805b1f28d8983.jpg

The international version NFL GamePass seems to be at:

nflgamepass.com (a different site)

and what's available there and the subscription details depends on the country where the user is accessing it from.

They appear to have several plans for international customers, again, depending on the country.

I see a GamePass Free plan that doesn't include any full games, but does include free access to the NFL Network.

Then they have a GamePass Pro Plan that includes access to all games live and a bunch of other stuff. When I checked that tonight, it was priced at $200 U.S. or 174.99 Euros.

2120343307_2019-08-0621_40_07.thumb.jpg.e1e1c6320bfca038008fc160522eade8.jpg

The info on the Pro plan page for international customers says... excludes US, Canada and China, and subject to blackouts in UK and IRE (probably because of competing TV rights there).

So to recap:

--U.S. residents and IP users can only get the VOD version of GamePass at the lower price.

--International residents and IP users can get the live games version of GamePass for about double the price, but also have VOD access included...

Though I've heard, that the actual pricing does vary some from country to country, even after accounting for exchange rates. So supposedly, there are some countries where it's actually cheaper to subscribe to the international version than in other international countries.... But I've never really delved into that, in part, because I think doing that requires having a matching payment source for the country where you're subscribing from.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I had NFL GamePass here in Thailand for 3 years. Worked flawlessly 99.9% of the time. I chose to not renew this year. 199 dollars per season. All games from the preseason to the Superbowl. Can watch any and all games from past years, NFL network, No restrictions that I can see. Only issue is the time difference and watching live games in the early morning hours but the ability to see the game almost as soon as its over in an edited version is worth it as no ads are seen. I never missed a game that I wanted to see. I am saving money this year and using an IPTV service that has the NFL gamepass but only live games so I will need to make adjustments to my viewing habits. But for the avid NFL fan you cannot go wrong with a full sub to the Gamepass service.

1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

I am saving money this year and using an IPTV service that has the NFL gamepass but only live games so I will need to make adjustments to my viewing habits. But for the avid NFL fan you cannot go wrong with a full sub to the Gamepass service.

I used to try watching the Sunday games live here, but just couldn't manage it.

I could usually begin to watch the early Sunday games that would start at midnight or 1 am here, and usually make it to halftime or so before I'd fall asleep. Rarely would I make it to the start of the late game that would begin at 3 am to 4 am here...

And if I did manage to stay up that late and actually able to groggily watch the games to their conclusion, I'd basically be wasted for the following day (Monday) and it would ruin my sleeping habit/calendar.

As a result, the $100 U.S. version of Gamepass with its VOD games after the fact was the best choice for me. I'd wake up Monday morning, and watch the games at my leisure from that point forward... The only thing I had to be careful about was to be sure to avoid reading/seeing any sports news during those days to avoid giving away the outcomes of the games before I had a chance to watch them.

I guess we will all figure out what is best for us as the season starts. Since I have a PVR, I’m hoping True comes through. If not, then assuredly being able to watch the tape, for me, is second best. Watching a middle of the night game live, for me, is impossible.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I see a GamePass Free plan that doesn't include any full games, but does include free access to the NFL Network.

BTW, following up on this mention above, today I was able to activate a FREE PLAN subscription to NFL International GamePass that mainly seems to include ongoing 24/7 access to the NFL Network cable TV channel from the U.S.

nflgamepass.com

To access this and sign up for the GamePass FREE PLAN, you need to have an international IP address such as from Thailand, and NOT from the U.S.  If you're using a U.S. IP address, you won't be able to sign up for the FREE PLAN of International GamePass.

The NFL Channel is especially interesting during the preseason period because they're going to air all of the preseason games at some point in time, some live, and many others after the fact. Whether all of those, or how many of those, will be available on the channel via the FREE PLAN international subscription, I don't know. Never before was aware of the international FREE PLAN.

But in the past, watching the NFL Network channel was kind of a hard thing to do, at least, legally. The NFL doesn't sell a standalone monthly streaming subscription to the NFL Network channel in the U.S. It has been available via a lot of U.S. cable TV subscriptions, but most folks here don't have access to those. And the channel has only been available via a few cable TV replacement streaming services, the best value of which is Sling TV's Blue plan for $25 per month. And all of those of course require use of a U.S. IP address.

So the fact that international residents can now access the NFL Network 24/7 for free via the International GamePass FREE PLAN subscription and use a regular local IP address is a pretty neat deal!

631227673_2019-08-0622_02_22.thumb.jpg.8d2d9171158fb73683c2ac370cecd08f.jpg