The wife and I want to give back to the local community. How can we do this?

advancebooking

Has anyone ever done a good deed for their local community?

The wife and I want to do something but dont know what. I realise I have limitations bc volunteer work is impossible without a WP. But what if the wife does it? Or if we donate financially to something....

Any ideas/ suggestions are appreciated.

• Haha 2

I regularly go looking for bottle collectors, especially after a month or so. We go though 72 2 litre bottles a month.

Gave a couple of pairs of trainers to the neighbours kids. Brand new kicks brought wrong size for our son from Europe so gave to them.

Play footy with the youngsters in the area from time to time.

Hand a lot of clothes to my Mrs family.

Thinking of giving the mountain bike away as it's not used enough.

• Like 1

"The wife and I want to give back to the local community…"
What do you received from the community that you have the feeling that you have to give back something? 

Generally a school is a good place to donate - but only things like fans, that nobody put the money in his own pocket.

We donate food regularly to a local temple in Chiang Mai who takes care of orphans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

"The wife and I want to give back to the local community…"
What do you received from the community that you have the feeling that you have to give back something? 

Generally a school is a good place to donate - but only things like fans, that nobody put the money in his own pocket.

We donate food regularly to a local temple in Chiang Mai who takes care of orphans.

Exactly my thoughts you beat me too it. Come on OP what has the local community given you that you feel duty bound to give back. I have never lived anywhere that I felt the local community had ever given me anything. Only time was the local football team for my sons, the managers giving up their time. When my sons finished I helped by managing for 5 years, but thats about the extent of it. I keep well away from local community events and activities, I am far happier mixing in my own social circles and family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Find out where the nearest orphanage is and donate stuff they need.

The best response in this thread so far. Giving money to schools will only ensure the school director will pocket more money as I know from experience many years ago.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is that a joke?

When I arrived in Bangkok I worked for a few months for a Rotary member (with lots of certificates on his wall). He cheated me and others. Over time I met other Rotary members from his and other clubs. He is well known and it seems he cheats about everybody. So I asked the other members why he is still in Rotary. Why do they allow a guy like him to ruin the name of that club? From many members I didn't get an answer. One member told me something similar to: There are so many crooks in Thai rotary. The many crooks won't throw out one of them.

This might be an exception in Bangkok. But I wouldn't bet on it. At least personally I don't trust people only because they are part of some club with a good name.

Well I thought that all of these "do gooder" clubs were only in it for their own benefit and ego.   Seems like you have now learned nothing ever changes, only the faces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought my local football team their entire squad kit based on the colours of the team I support back home.

When I then went to see their next game wearing it ready to feel full of pride, they trotted out with my name blazed across the front as a thank you to me !! <deleted> up the design completely !

• Haha 1

It annoys me that I can't volunteer at the local school in any way for fear of someone taking the hump and reporting it than its a forced quick exit. This grates on me especially after 5 years of working and volunteering in Cambodia before I came here. I prefer the term  'giving' to 'giving back' - i don't need to get something to want me to give, that's not how it works.

Each year the school has a presentation of prizes and each placed student (1st, 2nd etc) gets an envelope with 500 Baht. The better off local residents can donate this to 1 or as many students as you like. Wife and I normally do 2 students, and the donor has to present the student with his prize. The first year they were terrified to come up and take their prize from the farang, very shy, but now that I have been here a few years I am told they actually want the dubious honour. Until Thailand eases up on volunteering that will have to do for a while.

Edited by Saltire
  • Thanks 2

We once donated money to buy soccer shirts for a school team.

I was interested in giving a student prize, but wife said bad idea, because you then appear rich and become a target.

We discussed many other things, and the conclusion was to do nothing, because there were problems. Except of course with collecting garbage, which I will not do anywhere.

Now I am happy with various giving to younger members of her family.

You could give your heart and soul and the local community would not respect you for doing so. If you want to help maybe the village school needs better WCs or something else. The thai government seems to do minimum!

I once gave writing pads, pens and several football's to a local issan village school. I admit it felt good!

Do what makes you feel good. But remember to fill out TM30 and report every 90 day's or your be put in stocks and pelted with buffalo dung. Another new law for foreigners in Thailand i hear, Think it came out in 1666 at the same time as "Great fire of London" Really it's true read in Bangkok Post and The Nation!????????????

• Confused 1