Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

15 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I try not to eat in A/C restaurants as the food gets cold

I have not found that to be an issue in HH unless you are a particularly slow eater. Things seem to be freshly made judging by the fact you normally have to wait a little. Eating with flies and smokers is another matter.....

HH do a good cod and chips but I once accidentally ordered regular fish and chips which disappointed me.

I would not be eating outside on a hot day, but a couple of times I passed CC it was too busy to try.

33 minutes ago, polpott said:

Cod is cod, a North Atlantic fish. Grouper isn't even close on taste or texture. I struggle to understand how a restaurant can offer a genuine cod and chips for 129 baht in Thailand.

Groupers are referred to as Cod, not an expert as to whether that is correct or not. Local grouper fish can be pretty good, caught a number of them myself, and of course ate them. Very wary of 'fish and chips' in Thailand though as often the fish is some local mushy variety that I do not like. Often have the large cod and chips at HH, and previously at Jolly Friar. 

Edited by jacko45k

29 minutes ago, polpott said:

Cod is cod, a North Atlantic fish. Grouper isn't even close on taste or texture. I struggle to understand how a restaurant can offer a genuine cod and chips for 129 baht in Thailand.

I worked on a alaska trawler and we caught cod.......There are zillions of billions cod in the ocean....Its not a high class fish.....Its cheap......So a low cost cod meal I believe..... I could see wholesale cod going for 2 dollars so that's 60 baht... 

• Like 1

Just now, redwood1 said:

I worked on a alaska trawler and we caught cod.......There are zillions of billions cod in the ocean....Its not a high class fish.....Its cheap......So a low cost cod meal I believe..... I could see wholesale cod going for 2 dollars so that's 60 baht... 

Not in Thailand. All cod is imported and frozen, with the ridiculous import duty.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

I’ll go there gladly to just not hear your nonsense . Is it clear to you that it’s not cod yet ? 

cod almighty chaps...what,s in my fish finger butties....tastes blaady good with a bit of "so finger" on them

p.s. so finger is the term used by the chinese chappy at our local chippie...actually it,s "do you want salt and vinegar on sir".....:cheesy:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have not found that to be an issue in HH unless you are a particularly slow eater. Things seem to be freshly made judging by the fact you normally have to wait a little. Eating with flies and smokers is another matter.....

HH do a good cod and chips but I once accidentally ordered regular fish and chips which disappointed me.

I would not be eating outside on a hot day, but a couple of times I passed CC it was too busy to try.

I like to eat slowly and read the BKK post business pages, when I have my breakfast, That's why I prefer non A/C.

C/C has lots of fans that keep any Bugs away, and the smoker have to sit outside so if you don't like the smell you'll be fine. Nice to see that you have found C/C busy. As I have tried to point out the food is always fresh big turnover.

• Like 1

More or less on topic the Pizza Hut on Beach Rd has closed it's doors joining it's neighbours Starbucks and McCafe. Hooters however seems to have re-opened. I must point out the exception to the rule on Beach Rd, the Hops Brew House always seems to have customers. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2020 at 2:57 PM, fredob43 said:

I like to eat slowly and read the BKK post business pages, when I have my breakfast, That's why I prefer non A/C.

C/C has lots of fans that keep any Bugs away, and the smoker have to sit outside so if you don't like the smell you'll be fine. Nice to see that you have found C/C busy. As I have tried to point out the food is always fresh big turnover.

Fred I am surprised that you let your country gentleman neighbours know that you eat in such joints on Bukhao. ????

Edited by rott

11 minutes ago, polpott said:

Probably because they have good beer and good food. I just wish they opened earlier. Would be perfect for a boozy lunch.

All true. The times required the later opening. TQ, the same, opens at 4 w/ happy hour but then the daincin' starts at 5.) (I know, get there at 4:50. Like Hops, doing well on the new sched., surprising no. of ladies & customers (though not like pre-COVID of course).

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 2:44 PM, rott said:

Fred I am surprised that you let your country gentleman neighbours know that you eat in such joints on Bukhao. ????

I had to go to Patts for a Birthday bash. Stayed next to C/C so it was convenient.  If you read my post I also ate at Beefeater Restaurant. As Luck would have it only there for 2 nights. Booked for 3 but it was so dead I came home early. You have got to believe this went again on the 2nd another Bir: Bash. Again booked for 2 nights now it's the 3rd and I'm home. I'll let you work out why I left. Tip not the place for a country gentleman. H/M. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 8:12 AM, polpott said:

Wrong, it is the same class as grouper and can be caught in tropical waters

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fish-identification-information/fish-species-guide/fish-species-id-info/profile?fish-id=coral-cod

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

That’s a coral cod completely different species . 

I have eaten both 'cod' and various grouper from the Gulf of Thailand and they eat pretty similar.... I also expect where 'cod' is written sometimes, we might well be getting domestic grouper. Cod is also often used to mean grouper, perhaps incorrectly. Anyhow, big difference with that mushy stuff one gets sometimes with cheap 'fish and chips'. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have eaten both 'cod' and various grouper from the Gulf of Thailand and they eat pretty similar

I agree. Best catch in LOS is grouper but not cheap and for good reason. 

Quite sure it's hard to find a meaty and decent cod fillet/loin in Thailand.  

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

I guess the closures are finished.

Obviously everyone closed because they couldn't decide if Cod or Grouper or other fish is being served. On a positive note bars should still be open...oh wait, expired beer ????

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Obviously everyone closed because they couldn't decide if Cod or Grouper or other fish is being served. On a positive note bars should still be open...oh wait, expired beer ????

Well when I pay 100 baht for fish and chips, I only expect the best......

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, rott said:

Corona bar, Soi Post Office has re-opened. So another customer-free bar with music blasting away till the brain dead staff decide it's time to lock up. 

the bars and massage shops on these sois are basically a place where the ladies sleep, it doesn't seem to be about customers as there are so few, i half expect the girls to start begging for food soon rather than a massage\ST

• Like 1