We discover plumbing!

Don Chance

2 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Also you need to wait anywhere between 20-80 years for local Universities and Academics to invent what already works perfectly in the West.

Love that comment.... however, the Thais will have buried themselves in their own sh1t long before that.

I shudder to think of the catastrophic affect the next big flood would cause if Thailand were to adopt the western style method of sewerage disposal.

In a flat and flood prone region such as Thailand is, septic tanks are, by far the best solution. Learn to live with them @Don Chance It isn't that difficult.

Edited by Moonlover

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I shudder to think of the catastrophic affect the next big flood would cause if Thailand were to adopt the western style method of sewerage disposal.

In a flat and flood prone region such as Thailand is, septic tanks are, by far the best solution. Learn to live with them @Don Chance It isn't that difficult.

Not sure what you mean, you think cities in the west are not prone to flooding? A good sewer system will accommodate the storm floods.

The sewage should be treated then disposed of. Septic tanks under a house is crazy, it mean the toxic sewage gas and mold is going right up into your building! It is why most building have a toxic mold problem.

6 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

The sewage should be treated then disposed of. Septic tanks under a house is crazy, it mean the toxic sewage gas and mold is going right up into your building! It is why most building have a toxic mold problem.

Never seen a septic tank under a house.

Mine is in the back garden and vented, the grey water is piped off and treated by the moobaan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Not sure what you mean, you think cities in the west are not prone to flooding? A good sewer system will accommodate the storm floods.

In a large city, a good sewerage system is a must. There's no question about that.

But up country with scattered  communities and a completely flat terrain a collective system is just not feasible. They tried and failed to install a simple storm drain through our village.

Because of the lack of 'fall' to enable it to drain away, we ended up with a 200 metre long mosquito breeding trough and we had our first cases of Dengue fever in 5 years!

A sewerage system would encounter the same problem.

I acknowledge the problems that a septic tank can cause, but I would suggest that those problems are down to bad installation rather than an inherent problem with the tanks themselves.

Personally, I think local primary and secondary sewage treatment makes much more sense than the “western” solution.  The effluent at that point is not unreasonable to mix with storm water.

The problem is that far too many people just use(d) the open concrete ring cess-pits with overflow into the storm sewer, which places far too much load on the public systems and adds to odors.  Even as things improve, the places that don’t treat their waste at all make it bad for everyone else.

If more secondary treatment can be added at the local level it will significantly improve things.  While tertiary treatment would be nice, I think Thailand has a lot of priorities to go after before this one.

As for vented plumbing, while some of the “cheater traps” evaporate off far to easily when not used, it isn’t a huge issue when things are done properly with that system.

• Haha 1