Grab in Pattaya

Beggar

A Thai friend of mine wants to drive for Grab in Pattaya. Does anyone know if it is legal in Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand. I find conflicting information about it. And if it is not legal even using it as a customer would be illegal. What is the the situation? 

7 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

I wonder why farangs would be interested in using these apps in one of the cheapest countries in the world....

I like the grab food part... so easy to order all the stuff from the restaurants i like without having to go there. No other option for ordering foods that is so easy (in my area at least not Pattaya)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BestB said:

Most likely for the same reason why 2 week millionaires pay triple and few years later complain why everything is so expansive ????

I can not apologize enough. that was me. guilty as charged. I do however try to make up for it now, even haggling in the 7/11. doesn't go down well, but always worth a try IMO.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, jastheace said:

I can understand, when the taxi driver uses the following formula to work out your fare-

5(x+2)+2(x+3)3 = y

where y = fare expected

and x = up to me.

some would rather a known fare of say 200B, rather than 100 to 1000B depending on drivers mood.

Easier,   X= minus B ,   plus or minus , the square root of , X squared ,,, those were the days , everything was simple...

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I like the grab food part... so easy to order all the stuff from the restaurants i like without having to go there. No other option for ordering foods that is so easy (in my area at least not Pattaya)

Panda , is the latest  and least expensive delivery option, taking over in Essan

You forumites , probaly never heard of it , remain in your cyber caves . 555

We dont eat out anymore , wine and dine at home, brilliant delivery service, even in the sticks.

Then we cuddle up, and watch Netfix movies, and of course a happy ending , as per norm,  paradise ...

Edited by elliss

Well so far it is legal, I have certainly used them. I often arrange to meet where there is little chance of meeting up with regular taxis. (There have been conflicts, but personally no issues). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elliss said:

Panda , is the latest  and least expensive delivery option, taking over in Essan

We dont eat out anymore , wine and dine at home, brilliant delivery service, even in the sticks.

Then we cuddle up, and watch Netfix movies, and of course a happy ending , as per norm,  paradise ...

Not sure panda does much here in Nothaburi, but plenty of options by grab. I linked it to my Thai bank card so I dont have to keep change handy. All is arranged with a few simple clicks. I shall look if panda is available here more options are great. But i only pay around 40-50bt for delivery as I am close to a big shopping mall where most of the stuff comes from. Hard to beat that.

• Like 1

Still not sure if I Grab is allowed here in Pattaya. My ex girlfriend wants to drive for Grab and is scared of other taxi drivers. I told her that when picking up or letting the customer get off she should hug and kiss him then others might think it is her boyfriend... But more serious - what is the legal situation? 

Grab food service is being used more and more in Pattaya. A restaurant that I use often openly advertises this and over a 45 minute meal I will see several motorcycle grab riders come in and pick up orders.

The riders all wear green grab uniform jackets and are clearly identifiable.  This restaurant has had to double its staff due to the increase of meal sales, (all Thai food).  I'd say half goes out by Grab riders. It's definitely going on.

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I usually hide while the wife negotiates the price, it's always up when they see a farang

I do the same thing whether it is in stores or getting a taxi ride.  Price goes up exponentially when they see a Farang. 

20 hours ago, Los Luver said:

I wonder why farangs would be interested in using these apps in one of the cheapest countries in the world....

Because it is cheaper than anything except a scooter.  The prices are fixed with just about 0 chance of being scammed.  They are water resistant, air conditioned, safer and comfortable.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, elliss said:

Assume you mean foodpanda ? Got that in Pattaya as well, Grab is much cheaper, they charge 29 Baht for delivery.

19 hours ago, elliss said:

About 2 months ago we had spoken to one driver - it's still not legal. Taxi drivers are reporting them to police and the driver got fined 2000 Baht.

Personally, we've not had any issues, except the drivers often being worried to pick up or drop off somewhere next to taxi stands or even motorbike taxis.

• Like 1

Why should foreigners use Grab in Bangkok or Pattaya?

Cheaper with all the promotions. My street in Bangkok or the place i stay in Pattaya doesn't get that much traffic so can just order a taxi and always see on map where it is. Driver knows already where i want to go so no need to discuss this and try to explain even if he doesn't know where it is he can follow the GPS. I would consider it safer as you always know which taxi you took and if you left something in the taxi you know the licence number and driver's phone number. You get points and can use same app for taxi, food orders, any kind of delivery etc... No need for cash on any of these services, have someone to talk to if something goes wrong and so on....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Beggar said:

Still not sure if I Grab is allowed here in Pattaya. My ex girlfriend wants to drive for Grab and is scared of other taxi drivers. I told her that when picking up or letting the customer get off she should hug and kiss him then others might think it is her boyfriend... But more serious - what is the legal situation? 

Not sure what is worse, you giving your ex girlfriend career advice or your open acceptance of a cuckold lifestyle by promoting her to hug food delivery customers?

(And kiss)

Edited by HLover
Cuck edit

6 hours ago, HLover said:

Not sure what is worse, you giving your ex girlfriend career advice or your open acceptance of a cuckold lifestyle by promoting her to hug food delivery customers?

(And kiss)

She is still one of my best friends. She doesn't want to do food delivery but drive as taxi with her car. And in this case it can get problematic. Even here in this thread you find people saying that it is legal and also that it is not legal and the police might fine you. She will find out. 

On 8/26/2019 at 9:05 PM, jastheace said:

some would rather a known fare of say 200B, rather than 100 to 1000B depending on drivers mood.

Yes, but I thought their sliding scale was based on how susceptible to intimidation the customer was likely to be.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:41 PM, Los Luver said:

So they don't get ripped off or scammed.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2