Cash Requirements

seajae

And why do we have to show funds to get a non-o visa when the married thai wife makes/has plenty of cash.??

And why do we have to show it cash at the embassy? If you show them a huge house which is paid off they won't accept it.

I see no problem with having the required amount in the bank on time before every extension, I then draw down on it shortly there afterwards.

It's security for them, that you can afford to support yourself, in their country, and perhaps pay your medical bills.

Think about it, would you want a whole lot of people in your country staying there without having some kind of back up in the bank.

Just saying, as for no more Embassy letters being accepted but a few, well if the Embassy's cannot guarantee what they are signing, but also had been charging their farangs for it, I wouldn't accept them either. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SteveK said:

Why is it that bank statements are acceptable at embassies such as Savannakhet, but at the airport they insist on cash? That's Thai logic. Make things as incomprehensible as possible and maybe they can keep out all those pesky foreigners who want to come in and spend shed-loads of money. Sometimes I think it's a language problem. Thai is so imprecise that even Thai people can have conversations and walk away not knowing what has been said, as happens many times with my wife. Watch the FCCT video on TM30 on YouTube. The senior Thai generals don't even understand the questions. Their answers are unintelligible garbage, after 2 hours nobody has learned anything, Thailand in a nutshell. Nobody knows what is going on, even the people who make the rules.

They keep saying that they want to keep bad guys out, but all TM30 does is register an address which almost certainly would be fake for a criminal anyway. I always used to doubt the quotes about Thai IQ but now I believe it. They have no idea how to administer their country. There are many ways of finding criminals, inventing moronic pieces of paper one after another is not the way to do it, but don't tell them that because they think they are really smart despite no other country on the planet using such pathetic measures,

I love Thailand and Thai people. But I just cannot understand how on Earth such a large country can be run by people like these. Within a few years tourism is going to be dead. Who is going to come here with the outrageous corruption and xenophobia? I haven't even got into the fact that the artificially high baht makes Thailand more expensive than almost any other holiday destination in the world. Any ex-pats who still have a functioning brain will be moving to a neighboring country and taking their money with them. And good for them because Thailand doesn't want foreigners. Vietnam and Philippines will give you a lot more respect, if you can move there then you can look back at Thailand as it rots from the inside out.

"That's Thai logic."  Thai + logic = Oxymoron !    To all those who moan, complain & bitch about immigration administration. My philosophy... you don't have to like it, you just have to accept it. Remember, there's always an exit ! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Very irritating when individual's say just put the funds in the bank and forget about them. Why should we tie up our hard won resources and if an emergency arises as they always will be forced to leave Thailand where we have significant non liquid investment such as property and responsibilities such as a family to support.

Agents seem to have no difficulty managing the financials for extensions so accepting the deposit requirements forced on us due to Embassies inability to deal with TI and TI's coping with the fallout is sufficiently irritating without enduring crass statements that you shouldn't live in Thailand if you can't afford to invest 800k in the Thai banking system!

Same applies to those who say the same about compulsory medical cover for all being an acceptable price for living in Thailand a further 100k pa invested with little hope of a return.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Very irritating when individual's say just put the funds in the bank and forget about them. Why should we tie up our hard won resources and if an emergency arises as they always will be forced to leave Thailand where we have significant non liquid investment such as property and responsibilities such as a family to support.

Agents seem to have no difficulty managing the financials for extensions so accepting the deposit requirements forced on us due to Embassies inability to deal with TI and TI's coping with the fallout is sufficiently irritating without enduring crass statements that you shouldn't live in Thailand if you can't afford to invest 800k in the Thai banking system!

Same applies to those who say the same about compulsory medical cover for all being an acceptable price for living in Thailand a further 100k pa invested with little hope of a return.

You answered your own question. Use an agent if you think that is sustainable in the long run.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there was some random bank book checking some time in the future to see if a retired guy still has 400k in the bank, using an agent or not.

Money in a Thai bank is returning better interest rates than most countries as far as I'm aware so it's not necessarily a bad thing to do. The guys who had the foresight to put there hard earned in the Thai system a few years ago a laughing all the way to the …...errrrr…..bank on exchange rate gains alone.

As a previous poster said stop stressing and enjoy life, nothing is going to change by beating yourself up about it. If it gets really too stressful then follow the (apparently hundreds/thousands) of expats to Cambodia or the Philippines or some other far worse place than Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think that tourism will be harmed by the offbeat regulations.  It's part of the attraction of the place to me.  My opinion is that the Thais just don't like anything too efficient like computers that never forget anything.  Paperwork is good because things can get lost easily.  The military is ingrained into society and fits in so well with their mentality that bows to authority, that everyone agrees with everything while anyone is looking.  They all know that later on, you can simply carry on as you did before whatever crackpot idea got introduced.  It's lovely.  Think 'Prathet Thai' - Land of the free.

Problems start for us because of the farang mentality that requires 'rules to live by'.  Another problem comes from our mentality that says that when caught doing something wrong, you have to stop doing it.  So when we're stopped for riding a motorcycle without a helmet, we don't understand that once your details have been taken you can go on your way.  Thais have a system that 'nudges' you towards compliance - something that is only now being recognised as leading edge thinking in the west because it works.  Having a system that tries to 'fine' or to 'imprison' society's way out of a problem only makes more problems and can never work in countries that have low incomes.

So relax, and say to yourself "It's only a game, and some people have no sense of humour".  As soon as you begin to disagree with that, you've lost the plot and your sense of humour.

• Like 2

To ensure you can financially not become a burden on the country as there is no wellfare state and this is an emerging market so it helps to ensure while you stay your cash is essentially in a bond with the bank and they can use that for interim liquidity as they know you must hold it for 3 months or more to meet the requirement

It also keeps the riff raff out and trust me there is plenty of them about 

When people have drunk it all and partied it away they will do anything to keep the party going - time to go home and work again or get a job here either way you cannot just beg it doesnt help anyone especially yourself 

The house etc its all good you can just refinance that and use the capital for your visa but that is an illiquid asset so you must arrange liquid capital yourself

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

would you say that your country of birth has easier or tougher requirements for a thai person? 

If tougher which is likely then you should probably be thankful and not so angry. 

Allowing that we are addressing living inside the country after having been granted a Visa allowing the individual an annual stay?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarleyMarl said:

I don't want to sound "mean" but if you can't afford to put 400-800k into a savings account, you're an undesirable immigrant. So I guess they're using it as a way to try filter migrants?

So we have the 800k in the bank Term deposit All the time , The <deleted> is if one needs some money for a special reason maybe  (Hospital) then one hasn't got enough money in the bank for the next extension,,, Remember what they say 800K for 5 Months and the other 7 Months 400K .   I say Utterly insane it doesn't make sense but this is Thailand ,if one compares Thailand to the rest of the world Not much makes sense .One must have other savings to make up for the the money that we can't use.  ????:stoner:

If a single retiree, who maybe asset rich, owning a 4-6 mill Mc Mansion, (less the land) a modern car, one or two motorbikes etc. but solely reliant on their pension for day to do living expenses, is then caught short.. And each extension is only for 12 mths with no future guarantee if further changes are implemented to weed out more and more expats. 

How many are receiving an OAP from their home countries that exceed the min. of 65k per month? 

I know that a typical Aussie, who is 100% solely reliant on their pension for retirement, is only receiving about 37k monthly.. And still caught short for married visa extension of 40k..

How much is the OAP for UK, Canada, US and various European countries? I'm sure many are under the min 65k per month unless they also have a private fund.. 

Now that many IOs won't accept combo method, it means you have to have 400/800k in the bank, and no ifs or buts.. Plus having to report any movements 24/7 with TM30..

A Thai could move to Australia as a married or defacto to a citizen and have temp residency within a couple of months, and PR within 2 years. They have immediate access to free healthcare under Medicare, can work in any job they are qualified for, can purchase a house and land without restrictions, and don't have reporting requirements for their every move, holiday, weekend away or overseas trip.. 

Then they can become a citizen with an Australian passport within 5 years.

Thailand is becoming more repressive than North Korea, China or Zimbabwe with their dislike for farang retirees living in their country, wanting to know their every move, and having to prove an income of more than is reasonably needed to live here comfortably.. 

Ah, I think my door bell rung.. Five police to check my passport and whether I've filed my TM30.. 5556..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, owenm said:

Thai could move to Australia as a married or defacto to a citizen and have temp residency within a couple of months, and PR within 2 years. They have immediate access to free healthcare under Medicare, can work in any job they are qualified for, can purchase a house and land without restrictions, and don't have reporting requirements for their every move, holiday, weekend away or overseas trip.. 

Yes but what all up costs. My understanding is its not cheap to apply and no refunds if refused

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarleyMarl said:

I don't want to sound "mean" but if you can't afford to put 400-800k into a savings account, you're an undesirable immigrant. So I guess they're using it as a way to try filter migrants?

Well i suppose that makes me an undesirable non-immigrant on my third OA Non Immigrant visa that will give me another two years here without putting more than spending money into my Thai bank accounts.  I tend to agree with the OP, having invested in infrastructure and amenities for my gf and her family to the tune of hundreds of thousands of baht that don't count for anything with the visa process.  I was going to take my money with me when I cark it but i believe the the heavenly exchange rate is hellishly low. 555