The future of Soi 6 from today on?

watcharacters

48 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Walking Street was actually ok those days. No fancy cocktail bars and cheap.

Walking street wasn't walking street back then, you could drive! think it changed to "walking" only in 98? Preferred it before! 

The only thing worth visiting on Soi 6 is the Queen Vic hotel, good food and a good pint, cant be bothered with all those cookie cutter bars playing the same crappy music and the howling banshees that prowl out front!!

2 minutes ago, LennyW said:

The only thing worth visiting on Soi 6 is the Queen Vic hotel, good food and a good pint, cant be bothered with all those cookie cutter bars playing the same crappy music and the howling banshees that prowl out front!!

howling banshees

Image result for sexy soi 6 girls pattaya

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, CGW said:

Walking street wasn't walking street back then, you could drive! think it changed to "walking" only in 98? Preferred it before! 

No,it was walking street before 1998,but no big sign from the beach road. And you could only drive there until 6pm. Then it became a "walking street".

Edited by Max69xl

16 minutes ago, LennyW said:

What about "howling englishmen" at the Corner Bar? 

59 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

No,it was walking street before 1998,but no big sign from the beach road. And you could only drive there until 6pm. Then it became a "walking street".

Sure? not how I remember it, I lived there from 1996 to 2014, I lived in Bangkok previous to that and we went to Pattaya every weekend and we used to ride or drive down the road and park outside the bars, it was only changed around the date I stated.

It changed to "The strip" in Dec 97, then after became Walking Street.

"Transforming Pattaya’s famous Strip sounded like a formidable vision. But that’s what appeared to happen last Friday when the ‘Walking Street’, as it is now known, launched its Food & Beer Festival sponsored by Singha. With the aim of improving the image, atmosphere and trade of the Strip, tables, chairs and umbrellas will line the road every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night through the holiday season."

(From Pattaya mail archives)

Edited by CGW

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

Sure? not how I remember it, I lived there from 1996 to 2014, I lived in Bangkok previous to that and we went to Pattaya every weekend and we used to ride or drive down the road and park outside the bars, it was only changed around the date I stated.

I have been here since 94. You were not let in from the beach road after 6pm. 1998 was world cup (football) and not 1 moving car or bike on walking street after 6pm. From the southern end from the pier you could drive maybe 100 meters. If you came in on a bike before 6pm, then you could of course park somewhere, but not after. If you came from a small soi,then you had to park your bike before entering walking street. They had guards, sometimes even police standing at the curve on the beach road. Your memory is failing you. I was a regular there at a couple of bars and restaurants for maybe 12-13 years. Now it sucks big time. Only one bar looks almost exactly the same today, that's New Star Bar. Incredible. 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

There are just a few making ok money. Corner Bar, Queen Vic and some of the oldest with regulars. At the moment there are more bargirls than customers in many of the smaller bars. They're hoping the high season will save them, but I doubt it.

There always have been more bar girls then customers in soi 6..

3 hours ago, CGW said:

& the Soi is dying? there were three bars on Soi 6 in 1998!

You might be one of those members who'd be willing to share a couple of snapshots you took of Soi 6 while  you were there in 1998?

There's certainly an audience for them.

You do that and I'll post a 30+ pic of waking street.

Deal?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

You might be one of those members who'd be willing to share a couple of snapshots you took of Soi 6 while  you were there in 1998?

Amongst my many (minor) regrets is I was never into photography, the few photos I took "back in the day" have either been lost or disposed of by future wives or girlfriends.

Remember in 97 or so used to eat at the Sportsman on Soi 6, it was desolate at 19:00 and plenty of parking spaces, the only bar I remember was called Hawaii and was on the left walking to the beach, there may have been a bar or two at the top of the Soi but not inviting, least I never went in!

20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Your memory is failing you.

I was drunk for quite a few years around that time, would prefer to use that as an excuse rather than failing memory! I was a regular at TQ2 back then, there business died off when traffic was no longer allowed on the road - least that's what I recall. ????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Would you not have noticed when you recently returned, in your OP you stated 

that you didn't notice until your wife wanted a street food top up.

I was going to let it  go but now I'll answer,     The guy who claims the area has been fenced off for so long he can't remember is completely mistaken.   He has to be talking about a different area is all I said.

We parked on the West (Soi 6) side of 2nd road and I had no reason to even look towards the fenced off area.    My attention was focused on safely crossing the street @ around 6:30 P.M.

Then as we exited the restaurant and  I was looking down as I walked out due to the steps in the restaurant I hadn't even looked up as I jokingly asked the Mrs. if she'd like to get some street food.  Now standing on the  sidewalk that's when she simply said "they're gone".

And gone they are sometime during the past two months or so.   I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is cus that's a fact, Jack.

9 minutes ago, CGW said:
27 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Amongst my many (minor) regrets is I was never into photography, the few photos I took "back in the day" have either been lost or disposed of by future wives or girlfriends.

Remember in 97 or so used to eat at the Sportsman on Soi 6, it was desolate at 19:00 and plenty of parking spaces, the only bar I remember was called Hawaii and was on the left walking to the beach, there may have been a bar or two at the top of the Soi but not inviting, least I never went in!

Thanks for the reply.     I just thought it may be of interest to some but that probably wrong.

I too was never "into" photography but I've concluded it doesn't matter.    There's such little interest in sharing photos other than on social media sites.

7 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Thanks for the reply.     I just thought it may be of interest to some but that probably wrong.

I too was never "into" photography but I've concluded it doesn't matter.    There's such little interest in sharing photos other than on social media sites.

I'd love a look WC.

7 hours ago, CGW said:

& the Soi is dying? there were three bars on Soi 6 in 1998!

Lol way off the mark....even back in 1992 there were four Iss Laguna, King Kong, Bullring and Blue Hawaii......by the time 1998 came around it was into double figures

• Like 1

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

There's certainly an audience for them.

You do that and I'll post a 30+ pic of waking street.

Deal?

Snapshots in 1998? With a 35mm Pentax in the pocket while barhopping. ????

On 9/1/2019 at 4:10 PM, spidermike007 said:

Nothing will change in Pattaya. That town, Bangkok and Hua Hin appear to be holding their own, against the forces of puritanism, and holy work. CM, Phuket and Samui have already succumbed and are pale shadows of their former selves. There are some things that will not be affected by this fake holiness and fake cleansing of the nation.

Let us hope the current rule of the hapless and insincere army is just a blip on the screen in the long term. Eventually the youth will force them out. I am convinced of that. 

Don't compare Hua Hin with Pattaya. Hua Hin is a joke. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 4:27 PM, smedly said:

soi 7 is going the same way, my guess is that the top half will be a building site next year, holders of bars in that area are already trying to sell up

Soi 6 has 50 bars/restaurants and are not affected by any new hotels popping up behind Soi 6,not on Soi 6.

7 hours ago, CGW said:
8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Sure? not how I remember it, I lived there from 1996 to 2014,

I arrived here January 1994 and it was already called walking street by then, and traffic not allowed during the nightly hours till about 1 or 2 am.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:46 PM, Matzzon said:

Eeeh! You take much for granted. When ever did I say that I live in Pattaya? If you bother to read the posts, can you please also understand what you read?

Was the last beer good?

newsflash: if you live in thailand, -you live in a brothel devoid of virtues.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brokenbone said:

newsflash: if you live in thailand, -you live in a brothel devoid of virtues.

Breaking News: The big part of Thailand is not a brothel. As you clearly state, you can not have any great knowledge of Thailand. Nice to know what part you visit.

35 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Breaking News: The big part of Thailand is not a brothel. As you clearly state, you can not have any great knowledge of Thailand. Nice to know what part you visit.

ive lived here 15 years or so.

where does the prostitutes of pattaya come from ?

what village in thailand doesnt revel in whoring ?

whoring is primarily between thais,

that is, thai punter and thai prostitute,

and thais are everywhere in thailand,

ergo whoring is everywhere in thailand, it is rife with it, there aint a village or minute when a thai punter aint

whoring with a thai whore

Edited by brokenbone
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

ive lived here 15 years or so.

where does the prostitutes of pattaya come from ?

what village in thailand doesnt revel in whoring ?

whoring is primarily between thais,

that is, thai punter and thai prostitute,

and thais are everywhere in thailand,

ergo whoring is everywhere in thailand, it is rife with it, there aint a village or minute when a thai punter aint

whoring with a thai whore

Oh dear, I sincerely feel sorry for you.

On 9/1/2019 at 3:40 PM, NCC1701A said:

Oh my god! No!

I can't go on without Soi 6.

Neither can I.   We (and nearly every taxi driver) have to use it and the cross soi behind it, because it is so hard to get out of Soi 4 onto the main road.   Or does the O.P. assume we all knew he meant Soi 6 in Pattaya???   If so, please say so. There several soi 6's in Thailand.  Never seen a Bella Restaurant in Sukhumvit.

Edited by The Deerhunter

16 minutes ago, Beggar said:

This location seems to be very interesting. I looked at the pictures of the rooms. Here girls sit on the bed already. Perfectly fits for Soi 6.

I wouldn't like to come back to my room very late in that area.