Be honest, how many times have you run a red light in Thailand?

kellersphuket

morning yall,

now let's be clear i am not advocating people to run red lights. it is reckless and dangerous to do so.

however, back when I lived in Bangkok and drove a bike I would occasionally, along with the rest of the bikers at the front, jump the red light when that light had been red for too long and it was safe to do so.

In BKK red lights are left red for ridiculous amounts of time at intersections (up to 20 minutes at a time) as every intersection is manned by cops. This creates severe frustration among motorists, especially when one has been working all day and just wants to get home as quick as possible. In phuket it's not as bad, never had to jump a light once here..

Before they spend all this money installing new cameras all over the place, they should check first whether it is the system itself that is actually flawed. Why do they need to have cops patrolling every light??? it's a ridiculous waste of manpower and leaves the decision of the lights down to human control, which leads to human error, which leads to waiting longer and longer at the lights.

Centralize the system, make sure the lights change at an automated, fair pace and then install your cameras. 

Personally, I think waiting 20 minutes at a stop light is absolutely ridiculous and don't blame anyone for jumping them. 

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

police light control is seldom done these days and those that are have indicating countdown timers - longest I have noted is about 3 minutes during rush hours. .

I disagree with this.

The last time I was in BKK and driving a car was 2016.

At the Phra Khanong intersection the counter was switched off and replaced with a stright red line. I was waiting for about 45 minutes in total.

Many, many groups of bikes jumped the light. It was stressful for all involved.

BTW, I lived in bangkok for many years before relocating to Phuket.

There is a red light that I do go through and that's only because it 60 secs waiting on a deserted road. You can see all directions perfectly so there is zero percent chance of an accident.

Just some moron who set it up incorrectly.

Never would think about it on any other red lights I've come across

• Like 1

Maybe more than I actually know....

Occasionally get caught in no man's land 1/2 way through as some lights are too quickly timed for the prevailing traffic speeds with no rhyme or reason....I'm pretty conservative in that regard.....

But - - - -

My wife does the AM school run = so I have no idea what a bonanza of surprises that might bring.....

2 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I lived in Bangkok and drove a bike I would occasionally, along with the rest of the bikers at the front, jump the red light when that light had been red for too long and it was safe to do so.

Never have ran through a red light unless you count i've been crossing on green and it's gone straight to red.

Have gone through amber a number of times I would say to save an otherwise unnecessary big skid time.

Not run I would say been through Red lights went roads are all clear and nothing about also at left turns.

I like the traffic lights that have the countdown much safer IMO.

• Like 1

One time on the motor bike. Not really a complete junction. One way straight on, and one row next to it for a right turn. 

I continued straight on the side path, not crossing a road, trough the red light. As I saw many others did before .. (bad excuse ????

Got followed by a police guy ... he came up to me and said: 1000 Baht or police station.

I pulled out 1k, he grabbed it, put it into his pocket, turned around without saying anything and gone he was with the wind. 

Got away cheap and with a good lesson ... never jumped that red light again.

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2019 at 1:10 PM, 4MyEgo said:

When at a red light, I will not proceed when it goes green, always looking left and right for that Thai driver

ditto...i got cleaned up on a bike in Oz by a driver that went through on a red light.
i was still in the wrong as i had failed to give way to my right even though there were traffic lights...f'ckd if i know how that works, that was how it ended up.
cautious to the max ever since.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wombat said:

ditto...i got cleaned up on a bike in Oz by a driver that went through on a red light.
i was still in the wrong as i had failed to give way to my right even though there were traffic lights...f'ckd if i know how that works, that was how it ended up.
cautious to the max ever since.

Strewth, I would have gotten a lawyer on that one, failed to give way to the right when the driver went through the red light, so what your saying is the driver didn't get fined ? Maybe he was an off duty cop, private boys club, maybe saw you as being gullible or out of action for a while in hospital and figured, he won't ark up ? 

On 9/3/2019 at 12:26 PM, kellersphuket said:

I disagree with this.

The last time I was in BKK and driving a car was 2016.

At the Phra Khanong intersection the counter was switched off and replaced with a stright red line. I was waiting for about 45 minutes in total.

Many, many groups of bikes jumped the light. It was stressful for all involved.

BTW, I lived in bangkok for many years before relocating to Phuket.

Relevance, 2016? Its 2019 and nearly gone in case you do not have a calendar.

On 9/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, Sticky Wicket said:

There is a red light that I do go through and that's only because it 60 secs waiting on a deserted road. You can see all directions perfectly so there is zero percent chance of an accident.

Just some moron who set it up incorrectly.

Never would think about it on any other red lights I've come across

Instead of placing an induction loop underneath the tarmac of the side street, which will only switch to green, when a car is in front of the traffic light. But that is probably too much thinking for the local traffic planners.

the honest truth, not a single time !

unless you count the 'turning left'

but i always give way if i turn left by a wide margin.

i pride myself on running yellow light tho,

i have a natural affinity of timing and calculation,

youre not ever going to catch me running red light

On 9/3/2019 at 12:35 PM, ivor bigun said:

Same here,i drive here as if everyone else could not care less if they live or die,so look left,right ,up and downemoji52.png

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are right to be cautious on "your" green - there is always a chance of someone running the red across your path from your right or left side

Also be cautious of those indicating right - they MAY go right!

Never! Not here or anywhere else in the world. And, I am cautious entering a green light as far too many

see no reason to respect their red, or others lives in general. 

Edited by Dap

I don't like the idea about jumping the light if there is a second of (theoretically) no traffic from one side.

Too many idiots do that without thinking and without looking.

Sometime I almost wish that one of them collides with a car. Maybe that way they will learn.

I always stop at red lights for pedestrians. But sometimes, when all of the pedestrians crossed the road already, I ignore the red light and drive like all the others. The main reason for this is that too many people just ignore red lights at pedestrian crossings. It's dangerous to stop because there is a high chance that someone will hit you from behind. Sad but true - TiT.

• Like 1

I'm surprised how few responses there are to this question. I'll be honest I've gone through two, both unintentionally. The first was at night on a long three lane highway. There was a big 18 wheeler in the left and another in right lane, I continued through the centre lane and they both stopped. I couldn't see any traffic light until I was already in the junction. I guess those trucks also blocked my view of any traffic light sign on the side of the road too as I was driving carefully. 

The 2nd time was in BKK (I don't live there). There's a traffic light at a railway line that is elevated a bit and as I had just passed the railway line, the light immediately turned red. I thought the line was before the railway so I continued through. The copper rightfully pulled me over (I checked on Google maps after). 

29 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't like the idea about jumping the light if there is a second of (theoretically) no traffic from one side.

Too many idiots do that without thinking and without looking.

Sometime I almost wish that one of them collides with a car. Maybe that way they will learn.

I always stop at red lights for pedestrians. But sometimes, when all of the pedestrians crossed the road already, I ignore the red light and drive like all the others. The main reason for this is that too many people just ignore red lights at pedestrian crossings. It's dangerous to stop because there is a high chance that someone will hit you from behind. Sad but true - TiT.

This is very true in Pattaya on Beach road.

I stay way way to the left on my motorbike for the red Ped. lights.  As cars and other motorbikes buzz by me.

Also on Sukhumvit road. Next to the curb on my motorbike as others go thru the red in the far left lane.

• Like 1