Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/05/brexit-lords-agree-to-push-through-bill-preventing-no-deal-by-end-of-friday

Brexit: Lords agree to push through bill preventing no deal by end of Friday

Peers resolve to return Benn bill to House of Com

The House of Lords has voted in favour of getting the Benn bill ruling out a no-deal Brexit through all stages of parliament before it is suspended by Boris Johnson.

Around 1.30am on Thursday following late-night debate, peers passed a business motion and were told the bill – which has been passed by rebels Tories and opposition MPs in the Commons – would be returned to the lower house by 5pm on Friday, ruling out the prospect of attempts at a filibuster. It could then be voted on again by MPs on Monday and presented for royal assent, the Lords heard.

Peers are set to debate the Benn bill and amendments on Thursday. Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour leader, has told Boris Johnson that he will not agree to the prime minister’s request for an early election until the bill receives royal assent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Clearly Sherlock but it does show what treachery we have in the MP's that are supposedly representing the people.

Either way it is inevitable IMHO that the UK leaves the EU. Until then we can rely on Nigel Farage and other Brexit party MEP's to keep questioning and putting the UK's interest first.

Sadly the shower in the HoC can't but their time will come when there is a GE.

This is probably the most exciting 3 years of your life commenting on Brexit. Lets hope we have a thread about Holland soon, so to keep your country in the news.

Yes... it interested me a lot ….. asking myself a hundred times how in god's or the devils name the Brits became that stupid …. sorry,, I mean  at least the 52%

But it can only become better for us  E.U after the disturbing period …. at least I find, and already many others 

BTW the Lords gave the green GO light …. read... ????

• Like 1

Just now, david555 said:

Yes... it interested me a lot ….. asking myself a hundred times how in god's or the devils name the Brits became that stupid …. sorry,, I mean  at least the 52%

But it can only become better for us  E.U after the disturbing period …. at least I find, and already many others 

Not nice. Please remember that 48% of us voted to remain, if a new referendum were held to day that figure would be well over 50%. You can't get rid of us that easily, but maybe you're already realising that.

• Haha 1

Just now, david555 said:

So having a democratic vote and no matter what percentage are called stupid by you. I guess you are like the EU and believe that lets have a vote until they get the right answer. Referendums results in your country are ignored.

Maybe those 52% don't want to be ruled and bullied like your countrymen seems happy to be.

Give the other countries a vote to leave or stay then if your so comfortable. sS Junker has said others would leave.

The Lords can do what they want. There day will also be coming soon.

For me this only helps the Brexit party. So its a win win.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not nice. Please remember that 48% of us voted to remain, if a new referendum were held to day that figure would be well over 50%. You can't get rid of us that easily, but maybe you're already realising that.

But that's because you let overrule those 52% …..you can not expect we go down the slater too , stand up like the Scott's do  ...

But in Europe we getting tired of that Brexit pushed too us …. it has to end one way or another , our € get the Brexit effect after our own fault with Greece …., but it has to stop dragging us with you  down. Count at least 4 to 5 points this Brits Brexit has cost our Euro just because the uncertainty for the markets 

We must apply with the leaver , but not endlessly and seems the 48% can not handle it against the BullyBoys 

Edited by david555

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So having a democratic vote and no matter what percentage are called stupid by you. I guess you are like the EU and believe that lets have a vote until they get the right answer. Referendums results in your country are ignored.

Maybe those 52% don't want to be ruled and bullied like your countrymen seems happy to be.

Give the other countries a vote to leave or stay then if your so comfortable. sS Junker has said others would leave.

The Lords can do what they want. There day will also be coming soon.

For me this only helps the Brexit party. So its a win win.

You might not think the 48  are stupid ….. but you just ignore the wish from almost half your people , a 2/3 majority is seen in our world as a majority for important things , a 50+ for simple things 

About bullying  a lot on the forum carry that behavior as a middle name ,....

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I never called anyone stupid. You did. Now I don't know what binary vote means in dutch but in English it means that there is a winner and loser.

Luckily we are not in your world (not yet) where referendums results are ignored. Are you proud of that.

I think we can agree at least on that .

And start accepting England does not make the world measures anymore … alone.... times changed ….we try to agree with others not overrule or bullying them 

Always that anglophile politic system from 1 vote + wins ….please keep that in you'r both worlds it creates only trouble and politic polarising

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Yes, it's unfortunate for the 16 million + who wanted to stay.

But you must accept that it is not good to have a member who is always rebellious. Who would like to have Farage in his ranks for example.

Moreover a Brexit without agreement would serve many interests in the EU, even if it is not politically correct to say so.

Finally, we are all interested in getting out of this quagmire at the earliest.

The first rumors appeared on Sky news reporting that Finland ask why the E.U. would give another meaningless extension …..

Must be Angels music in all those bully brexiteers ears I think 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Yes, it's unfortunate for the 16 million + who wanted to stay.

But you must accept that it is not good to have a member who is always rebellious. Who would like to have Farage in his ranks for example.

Moreover a Brexit without agreement would serve many interests in the EU, even if it is not politically correct to say so.

Finally, we are all interested in getting out of this quagmire at the earliest.

The EU will always want the UK within their ranks, maybe they don't like our freedom to express ourselves, but the sure as hell like our contributions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

You seem to forget that the brexit party has no MPs so doesn't have a voice in Parliament.

No one takes Farage seriously in the European parliament, he's just seen as a clown, a figure of fun, generally referred to as "Kermit". Same as Boris in the UK parliament.

If that's true he'd fit right in with all the rest then.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Lion or toothless moggy? If you loved your country you would be keen to preserve, it instead of letting the EU slowly but surely dismantle it. 

Don't waste your breath. As always when the argument stems from insecurity it lapses into hysteria. The remainer's hysteria is a psychological strategy to shield their vulnerable minds from all sense of reality, and that allows them to sustain beliefs, distort definitions, and embrace all manner of cognitive dissonance that would otherwise undermine their position.

A sure sign of argumentative hysteria is when people throw back in their opponent's faces the very thing of which they, by any objective assessment, are being accused. In this case it is the notion of 'democracy'. They should allow me to inform them that the definition of democracy is not "what they want". But I won't waste my breath.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So I guess you are ignoring if you are proud that your country ignores referendum results but you are happy to continually question the UK.

It is the United Kingdom (UK) by the way not England. I would assume that even in Holland that Geography and History are taught in schools.

I deliberately called it England …., as that is what is in your head.... and only call it U.K. as you'r in need of the vassals ….we know very good geographic way where I is positioned in the North Sea. keep on ridiculing , you very well known for that ...

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Lion or toothless moggy? If you loved your country you would be keen to preserve, it instead of letting the EU slowly but surely dismantle it. 

Don't try poisoning our mind … it wont work.....

Edited by david555
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, 7by7 said:

But not all Tories want to leave, not all Labour want to remain.

And what about the LibDems, SNP, Welsh Nats, DUP etc.?

The only way to get a truly democratic decision from we, the people, is a binding referendum along the lines proposed before. 

Though it will almost certainly take a GE with the inevitable defeat of Cummings' Johnson's government to obtain that.

I agree on the binding referendum, but for a Referendum to be binding it must be a Clear Majority...

Factors like the weather can have an effect on polls like if it rains or if is is cold a person with a car is more likely to vote than a person without, and a person without a car is more to vote labour than Tory.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: It is the United Kingdom (UK) by the way not England. I would assume that even in Holland that Geography and History are taught in schools.

It is the Netherlands by the way not Holland. I would assume that even in the UK that Geography and History are taught in schools.

(Holland is a province of the Netherlands)

Ok. once more why ….I named it England 

I deliberately called it England …., as that is what is in their head.... and only call it U.K. as they in need of the vassals ….we know very good geographic way where I is positioned in the North Sea.

Edited by david555
  • Like 1