No place to hide: Immigration’s new biometric system nabs 45,000 overstaying foreigners in Thailand

webfact

So the percentage of blacklisters so far has been 0.0000661% of the 17 million people checked.

Overstayers at 0.002686% with an average overstay payment of a tick under 1800 baht per person.

But the percentages don't tell the true picture. There are a lot of people doing the wrong thing. But the average overstay fine seems to demonstrate that it is likely tourists who have decided to stay a couple of extra days and not worrying about an extension.

I don't imagine too many long term overstayers would be looking to leave via airports too often.

The blacklisters certainly seem to want to come back to Thailand.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

So the percentage of blacklisters so far has been 0.0000661% of the 17 million people checked.

Overstayers at 0.002686% with an average overstay payment of a tick under 1800 baht per person.

But the percentages don't tell the true picture. There are a lot of people doing the wrong thing. But the average overstay fine seems to demonstrate that it is likely tourists who have decided to stay a couple of extra days and not worrying about an extension.

I don't imagine too many long term overstayers would be looking to leave via airports too often.

The blacklisters certainly seem to want to come back to Thailand.

I would  agree. They have highlighted the  false passport  catches in isolation to those being snapped for various degrees of overstay possibly  because the associated  software  brings up the fact more readily than an individual scanning a computer screen.

Unfortunately for those in a queue 45000 events could represent a longer delay as each  drama unfolds !

• Like 1