Farmers want solution to falling price of snapper fish

snoop1130

800_3f8db0f9ff69497.png

A group of fish farmers have called on the government to solve the problem of the falling price of snapper. Pramot Mongkolcheeva, a member of the group that raises snapper, said the price of the fish had fallen from Bt130-Bt140 per kilo to between Bt60 and Bt80 early this month.

He said he was not sure about the real cause of the falling price but said it might be because a large amount of the fish has been imported from Malaysia.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376620

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-23

23 minutes ago, BHW said:

They called snapper gee this place is weird, go to Australia & see what a snapper is, one of the best eating fish around.

Yes, BHW you right. That's not snapper, I don't think so. It's fresh water snapper I think, I may be wrong.

But the sea red snapper is very delicious, the meat is firm not hard and has a flavor you will not forget.

1 minute ago, ylmiri said:
26 minutes ago, BHW said:

They called snapper gee this place is weird, go to Australia & see what a snapper is, one of the best eating fish around.

Yes, BHW you right. That's not snapper, I don't think so. It's fresh water snapper I think, I may be wrong.

But the sea red snapper is very delicious, the meat is firm not hard and has a flavor you will not forget.

yep!

- not the same fish as the aussie Schnapper

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

My experience is this fish is mushy and not the best taste.

Probably would not eat it for free at this point.

Correct. It is the Thai version of the Australian Barrumundi. In Thailand they are bred in farms and fed antibiotics and anti fungal chemicals. Eat it at your peril. Similar to Vietnamese basa.

44 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

Let them take care them self, seems people in this country are used to ask for help.

yes, that seems to be true, always asking for a govt. handout anytime the market falls, and the govt. gives it to them.  Of course it is ok now to do so but when the Shins did it, oh my god, what a crime.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Lies ....this fish in not snapper. This is what a snapper fish looks like. The best place to fish for Snapper is near the mussel barges in New Zealand waters. 

download.jpg

56 minutes ago, Chazar said:

They can smoke them on those  forest fires paid for by the Malaysians....apparently

I have eaten Japanese dried fish(I don't know the type of fish) but that dried fish was absolutely delicious. Full of flavor and no fishy taste at all. If you eat it with some beer oh God it's gourmet fish I must say.

Can't the Thais try to make some dried snapper? Smoke them, experiment  and see how it turns out. Or the ministry of fishery or food industry should go to Japan and see how they make them. Japan and Thailand diplomatic relation is on very good terms so they could easily learn from Japan.

NO Thai bashing please. I know someone going to say they would rather let the fishes rot than lift a finger to do something.

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Correct. It is the Thai version of the Australian Barrumundi. In Thailand they are bred in farms and fed antibiotics and anti fungal chemicals. Eat it at your peril. Similar to Vietnamese basa.

They are all members of the Perch family, Nile Perch are a cheap import to Australia. Not the best eating fish. 

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

In Thailand they are bred in farms and fed antibiotics and anti fungal chemicals. 

Which explains the mushy taste. They're basically chemically grown, same as pork and chicken from the farms that feed them antibiotics. High water content, weak muscles, bland or non-existing taste. Perfect for seasoning with a few kilos of MSG to top off the exotic culinary experience.

Archived