Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

13 minutes ago, lust said:

1,400 posts... haven’t read a single post, but seriously... do you guys really have that much to say about an autistic girl being used as a pawn for political agendas?

personally i dont care about her,

i get upset on ipcc modus operandi,

trying to create panic and faking scientific

support to further their agenda,

which i dont even understand,

other then as al gore said 'creating entirely pointless jobs'

why not let them just carry around a stone in circles and pay them for that ?

if the purpose is only to create pointless jobs

that benefits no one

23 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m sure your granny was a lovely lady.

btw, jokes apart, i would be truly interested to know your (and others) opinion about feasible solutions for a painless transition from fossil fuels to alternative sources of energy.

Surely you have some idea, care to share ?

25 minutes ago, lust said:

1,400 posts... haven’t read a single post, but seriously... do you guys really have that much to say about an autistic girl being used as a pawn for political agendas?

No we've been all over the place from evolution to climate to politics to boxes of chocolate. My only excuse is she started it.

Well, I'm doing my little bit taking one cloth bag to the market each day. I think the trick is to do more little by little to a reasonable extent that can be maintained without pain. Times 6 billions and we should all be fine.

I wouldn't advocate going nuts like that family in NY I read about that's cut their carbon footprint to 0, amongst other things reusing the same rag to clean their bottoms and then rinse it out. 

That's not sustainable, kind of like an extreme diet.

Edited by Why Me

34 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

btw, jokes apart, i would be truly interested to know your (and others) opinion about feasible solutions for a painless transition from fossil fuels to alternative sources of energy.

Surely you have some idea, care to share ?

You really haven't been keeping up have you? The cost of solar, wind, and storage is plummeting. Coal is already uneconomical and gas is now often being outcompeted in the marketplace. And given that fossil fuels are subsidized to the tune of about 4.7 trillion per year, 

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2019/05/02/Global-Fossil-Fuel-Subsidies-Remain-Large-An-Update-Based-on-Country-Level-Estimates-46509

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You really haven't been keeping up have you? The cost of solar, wind, and storage is plummeting. Coal is already uneconomical and gas is now often being outcompeted in the marketplace. And given that fossil fuels are subsidized to the tune of about 4.7 trillion per year, 

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2019/05/02/Global-Fossil-Fuel-Subsidies-Remain-Large-An-Update-Based-on-Country-Level-Estimates-46509

So how many days it will take to convert all those cars, lorries, ships and planes to solar or wind energy ?

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

So how many days it will take to convert all those cars, lorries, ships and planes to solar or wind energy ?

I think the relevant question is how much coal produced energy it will take to convert all those cars, lorries, ships and planes to solar or wind energy?

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I think the relevant question is how much coal produced energy it will take to convert all those cars, lorries, ships and planes to solar or wind energy?

That's of course quite relevant, but i'm also interested to know if i'll have the chance to ride a solar-powered motorbike in my lifetime.

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

That's of course quite relevant, but i'm also interested to know if i'll have the chance to ride a solar-powered motorbike in my lifetime.

Unless you plan on kicking the bucket in 2-3 years, should be possible: https://motorbikewriter.com/solar-power-electric-motorcycles/

But I guess you meant one with panels. Takes too much surface area to be hauling around, or it needs to be some sort of foldable thing, not practical.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

Interesting tidbit from Moore's video: we almost went extinct 15,000 years ago. 180ppm CO2 in atmosphere, had it gone 30ppm down, plants would have died and obviously higher life forms would have followed. Crikey. I'm going to go and see if I can find some fossil fuels in my backyard to burn and bring the CO2 to safely sustainable life levels.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/30/life-on-earth-was-nearly-doomed-by-too-little-co2/

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

gawd, you've never seen a study about 'clean coal' and then politicians lapping it up? You obviously aren't looking very hard...

Expensive, experimental and largely a fudge. There is no such thing as 'clean coal'. And I spent a decade working in coal...

gawd, I’ll take that as meaning you don’t know how and you have no examples.

Thanks

Hilarious

IMG_0072.PNG.1d020f0eaf12fc4eefc841756c450f14.PNG

From your post

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Well, I'm doing my little bit taking one cloth bag to the market each day. I think the trick is to do more little by little to a reasonable extent that can be maintained without pain. Times 6 billions and we should all be fine.

I wouldn't advocate going nuts like that family in NY I read about that's cut their carbon footprint to 0, amongst other things reusing the same rag to clean their bottoms and then rinse it out. 

That's not sustainable, kind of like an extreme diet.

Why is it not sustainable?

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Obviously the rag wears out after a while. Then you'll end up using your digits, which indeed is sustainable.

Really?

It will wear out after a while.  

Shocking news, a biodegradable product will degrade. Oh the horror. 

How long would that take?

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Why is it not sustainable?

one reason is that co2 is continuously put out of recycling

by various forms of lifeforms such as shellfish,

and the trend is that in another 2-3 million years,

there is not enough co2 to sustain life of vegetation,

lest we humans put co2 back in circulation by burning said former lifeforms (fossil fuels)

co-founder of greenpeace patrick moore explains it from 1 hour

Edited by brokenbone

5 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

one reason is that co2 is continuously put out of recycling

by various forms of lifeforms such as shellfish,

and the trend is that in another 2-3 million years,

there is not enough co2 to sustain life of vegetation,

lest we humans put co2 back in circulation by burning said former lifeforms

co-founder of greenpeace patrick moore explains it from 1 hour

What on earth has that got to do with my post. 

Oh and Patrick Moore claims to have co founded greenpeace, but that is a lie. 

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/greenpeace-statement-on-patric/

He is not to be trusted. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

What on earth has that got to do with my post. 

Oh and Patrick Moore claims to have co founded greenpeace, but that is a lie. 

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/greenpeace-statement-on-patric/

He is not to be trusted. 

no, he has not claimed to be co-founder himself,

but he is the only face i recognize of the greenpeace activists i recognize from my youth.

and yes, i trust him over the ipcc any day of the week,

i havnt caught him with blatant lies yet, unlike ipcc

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

no, he has not claimed to be co-founder himself,

but he is the only face i recognize of the greenpeace activists i recognize from my youth.

and yes, i trust him over the ipcc any day of the week,

i havnt caught him with blatant lies yet, unlike ipcc

Whether you trust him or not is irrelevant 

He did not co-found Greenpeace as you claimed. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Whether you choose to believe his lies over his relationship with greenpeace or not is irrelevant. 

He did not co-found Greenpeace. 

Ok, but the fact that the current teenage angst terrorist organization that greenpeace has become renounces him lends his words extra credibility. Not to mention that video finally makes some sense of how the entire system of life on earth works.

Edited by DrTuner

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Ok, but the fact that the current teenage angst terrorist organization that greenpeace has become renounces him lends his words extra credibility. Not to mention that video finally makes some sense of how the entire system of life on earth works.

Not what I was posting about and that “video” had nothing to do with the post that was quoted. 

It is a lie to state he confounded greenpeace. 

Edited by Bluespunk