Confusing road markings contributed to fatal accident involving abbot

webfact

Confusing road markings contributed to fatal accident involving abbot

7pm.jpg

A leading road safety expert has pointed the finger of blame at road markings at the scene of a fatal accident at the end of last month. 

Two people were killed in a pick-up that was doing a U-turn on Pahonyothin Road (KM marker 179-180) in Lopburi's Khok Samrong district. 

The abbot of Wat Prabat Nam Phu who was travelling in a van was injured. 

Dr Thanapong Jinwong told Naew Na that colored markings in the middle of the road were a contributing factor in the crash. 

He said that the markings were confusing and led to overtaking problems as vehicles waited to make U-turns on the busy road.  

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-07

Never the drivers fault ..is it.

Many people must be killed doing U-Turns,especially

when both sides of the road are doing it,you cannot

see what's coming when the other side is also turning.

They should be spaced apart, 50 -100 yards,Left only

and the other Right only, the problem is you would

still get vehicles,especially motorbikes,not wanting

to go 100 yards further up the road to turn correctly. 

regards worgeordie       
"A leading road safety expert.....in Thailand "

There are usually handful of contributing factors to accidents - Poor road design / markings is often a biggie.

The very common issue of poor road design and poor road markings are often a contributing factor to Thailands woeful road accident stats. Combined with a lack of adequate training of drivers in Thailand and the general lack of concept of consequences the outcome as we know is often tragic. 

It is a real shame when so many of us can readily recognize the flaws yet see no improvement. Is it the general apathy towards road safety which is hindering any improvement? is it a lack of funds? is the problem just too big to be handled well?

they are just so bloody impatient, take yesterday, i see a guy, opposite the junction,  working on the light control; box i was first in line , our light goes out completely , i wait a few seconds, nothing, i ease into the junction, (blind view left and right) this <deleted> in a 4x4 pulled out around me, caution to the wind, and how the hell the chap on the motorbike did not T bone him i will never know.

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

they are just so bloody impatient, take yesterday, i see a guy, opposite the junction,  working on the light control; box i was first in line , our light goes out completely , i wait a few seconds, nothing, i ease into the junction, (blind view left and right) this <deleted> in a 4x4 pulled out around me, caution to the wind, and how the hell the chap on the motorbike did not T bone him i will never know.

amulets ????

Ban Pheu, in Udon Thani, has 5 sets of lights. 4 of them have right arrows in both directions when they go green. So you get a green light to proceed ahead, and the driver opposite you has a green arrow to turn right across your path. The 5th set of lights is only a T intersection.

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I would agree that many road marking are poor but when you have a population of drivers that doesn't even understand most markings and about 75% of drivers that never obey markings anyway, disaster is only ever around the next corner !

Yep,...Most Thais don't respect speed limits, road signs or markings.,..If they ever knew what they mean !!

Actually I glad a photo like the OP has turned up. A while back various section of the road 210 from Udorn to Nongbualamphu were resurfaced and the former road markings were replaced with new ones I hadn't seen before. I have looked in Thai road sign and markings both in books and on the the net and I can't find the one displayed in the photo; the solid white line with the white bars/stripe painted across it. I have looked at international road marks, UK and Europe and none show this. I realise that I should know so I was going to an office an ask. Perhaps instead, someone here can tell me what it means. Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

With a nation that don't even recognise traffic lights what does one expect....!!

Your statement is not entirely correct.

Traffic Lights are recognized by the Local Authority where I reside.

At night, they turn off the Lights to save Electric ( I think, I cannot reason why ).

At 4 AM the Lights are not working, and flash either Amber, or Red , and this is on a Major Highway route with a Crossroads

Insane

road signs & markings  to thai drivers are suggestions only, they are rarely followed, dont know how many times I have had to brake because some idiot has driven straight through a stop sign, then you have road markings/signs that are put in the wrong place because the ones doing it cant read the directions properly, basically no one cares. Some of the marking are just plain stupid and no one knows what they are supposed to mean, its as if they have just made them up as they are not shown in any road regulations, you just get used to everything being backwards here

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I would agree that many road marking are poor but when you have a population of drivers that doesn't even understand most markings and about 75% of drivers that never obey markings anyway, disaster is only ever around the next corner !

You got that 100% correct, paint what you want on the road, it won't make any difference!

At night, they turn off the Lights to save Electric ( I think, I cannot reason why ).

At 4 AM the Lights are not working, and flash either Amber, or Red , and this is on a Major Highway route with a Crossroads

Insane

I often noticed that on T-junction major road / minor road when there is red but no traffic coming from the minor road people just ignore the red light and pass through.

Often got flashing headlights or honking from behind when I stop. Really concerned some idiot crash into the back of my car. If I'm on the motorcycle I stay so far left on the hard shoulder and let everyone pass. Morons...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

In Nong Khai when travelling south towards Udon Thani from the friendship bridge there is a T intersection on the highway 2. There are traffic lights for vehicles turning right coming from the bridge towards Udon and also for vehicles heading north towards NK but nothing for vehicles heading south from NK centre. When you get the green light to turn right coming from the bridge you enter 3 lanes doing 90k with no warning they have no lights that side of the junction, absolute crazy! 

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

Actually I glad a photo like the OP has turned up. A while back various section of the road 210 from Udorn to Nongbualamphu were resurfaced and the former road markings were replaced with new ones I hadn't seen before. I have looked in Thai road sign and markings both in books and on the the net and I can't find the one displayed in the photo; the solid white line with the white bars/stripe painted across it. I have looked at international road marks, UK and Europe and none show this. I realise that I should know so I was going to an office an ask. Perhaps instead, someone here can tell me what it means. Thanks in advance.

I can't be certain, but those white markings look like they are intended to make the lanes appear narrower than they actually are - thus reducing traffic speed. The yellow markings appear to be a "ghost island" intended to keep a wider gap between the opposing lanes of traffic.

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Insane

It is called efficient traffic management. Why have red lights when there is no traffic.

We have the same here and it works well.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

I often noticed that on T-junction major road / minor road when there is red but no traffic coming from the minor road people just ignore the red light and pass through.

Often got flashing headlights or honking from behind when I stop. Really concerned some idiot crash into the back of my car. If I'm on the motorcycle I stay so far left on the hard shoulder and let everyone pass. Morons...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

fit a louder horn? 

Causes Of Road Accidents In Britain

1. Driver failed to look properly – 42,189 accidents reported
  2. Driver failed to judge other person’s path or speed – 21,211 accidents reported
  3. Driver was careless, reckless or in a hurry – 17,845 accidents reported
  4. Driver had poor turn or maneuver – 15,560 accidents reported
  5. Loss of control – 12,151 accidents reported
  6. Pedestrian failed to look properly – 8,687 accidents reported
  7. Slippery road surface – 7,327 accidents reported
  8. Driver was travelling too fast for conditions – 6,468 accidents reported
  9. Driver was following too close – 6,040 accidents reported
  10. Driver was exceeding speed limit – 5,102 accidents reported

Guess it always pays to look in your own back yard first.

And of course they have the best line marking on the roads in the world.

download (1).jpg

images.jpg

download (2).jpg

Road-sign-665449.jpg

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I can't be certain, but those white markings look like they are intended to make the lanes appear narrower than they actually are - thus reducing traffic speed. The yellow markings appear to be a "ghost island" intended to keep a wider gap between the opposing lanes of traffic.

Thanks for that. Yes yellow usually means some section should be kept free or refrain from driving over it. Yes, I thought that the white bars on the solid white did give a kind of an illusion of narrower lane width.

7 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

Ban Pheu, in Udon Thani, has 5 sets of lights. 4 of them have right arrows in both directions when they go green. So you get a green light to proceed ahead, and the driver opposite you has a green arrow to turn right across your path. The 5th set of lights is only a T intersection.

Here in Virginia, USA, we have some turn arrows that are red, green or yellow, depending.  OK to go on yellow but must yield to oncoming traffic.  They are not used at really busy intersections.  Maybe they should try that.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:24 PM, chickenslegs said:

When renewing my driving license this morning I went in to the technical dept and asked them about the solid white line  with white bars. You surmised correctly. They are a new and extra marking to indicate reduction of speed.????

Archived