US Navy Veteran Wrongly Accused In Thailand Returns To US

webfact

US Navy Veteran Wrongly Accused In Thailand Returns To US

By Rohit R Nair 

US-man.jpg

File photo

AU.S. Navy Veteran who was held as a prisoner in Thailand after falsely being accused of masterminding a Ponzi scheme has been finally reunited with his family, according to news reports. 

Derek Keller met with his wife Tanya and daughter Beverly on Tuesday after more than one year at a South Korean airport before returning to the lone star state on Wednesday. Keller was locked up in Bangkok’s maximum security Klong Prem Prison without bail since Aug. 2018.

“There are not enough words for how happy we feel. As a family, we are taking a few days to decompress and process our emotions. Derrick is looking forward to seeing his family, friends and supporters soon. Thank you for all your support and prayers,” his family posted on Facebook.

Keller was arrested in 2018, while he was on vacation with his wife after he appeared in a series of videos for a company called the Eagle Gates Group Co. Ltd. The fraudulent company, unbeknownst to Keller, was being investigated for a scam that had defrauded thousands of people in Thailand and also investors from abroad.  

Full story: https://www.ibtimes.com/us-navy-veteran-wrongly-accused-thailand-returns-us-2843133

-- International Business Times 2019-10-11

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

He should be nominated for an Oscar.  

Is there any relevance to the mention of his being in the US navy

None. But for us Americans status as military or as a veteran means you gets you social status, makes your suffering more important thant others, and in general makes you a more special human being than the rest of us tax paying civilians. 

13 minutes ago, bkkatl said:

None. But for us Americans status as military or as a veteran means you gets you social status, makes your suffering more important thant others, and in general makes you a more special human being than the rest of us tax paying civilians. 

As a navy vet from the early 80s that status didn't do anything for me wasn't even able to get my old job back

12 minutes ago, Fred white said:

As a navy vet from the early 80s that status didn't do anything for me wasn't even able to get my old job back

Well things have changed now. Special lines at the airport, preferred job status, discounts all over the place, just saying. 

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Is there any relevance to the mention of his being in the US navy?

As per report, Thailand has a 95% conviction rate, so yea; I’d say the mention of his being in the US navy has a huge relevance. 

Next........

11 hours ago, bkkatl said:

Previously Navy like the gent in the post, I can tell you, that cover always made me feel a bit silly.

".. met with his wife Tanya and daughter Beverly on Tuesday after more than one year at a South Korean airport..."

Poorly written sentence. Sounded like he spent a year at the airport. What was that Tom Hanks film?

15 hours ago, Just Weird said:

It has no relevance. It just makes a juicier story for the peddlers of "news". Former soldier. Former policeman. Former this, former that. Means nothing unless it has a direct relationship.

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

".. met with his wife Tanya and daughter Beverly on Tuesday after more than one year at a South Korean airport..."

Poorly written sentence. Sounded like he spent a year at the airport. What was that Tom Hanks film?

Leave it to Thai Visa for their exquisite grammar!  Hahahaha

13 hours ago, bkkatl said:

"Like the rest of us tax-paying civilians."

Are you saying, (or suggesting), that US military veterans didn't, or don't pay tax?

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I would want revenge.  The lesson here is in thailand you have no freedome. Its all a illusion. At any moment any one of us could be held against our will. Treated like a dog and pretty much destroy our life.

I realize this now after many years of thinking if i am not doing anything wrong i am fine.

The us military probobly saidvlet him go or no more hardwares

19 hours ago, tgw said:

he is lucky.

for sure he wasn't the mastermind, but... the article is no doubt the result of lobby work.

no details are given on his involvement in the scam nor on the reason of his release.

I've been acting in Thailand for a while now, mostly TV commercials.  Previously, it wasn't unusual to be offered jobs appearing at promotional events: securities investment, real estate, business franchise, ect.

You'd sit on a stage, eat the dinner and stand up and wave when your name was called.  There was no question we were being identified as examples of successful investors or company officers from Europe or the US.  Our agreement usually was we'd sit there but wouldn't make any speeches making any verbal claims.  We'd pose for selfies after but play dumb when asked any specific questions.

Once this case and another in Singapore hit the news, we realized we were really treading on dangerous ground and that police or scammed investors looking for scapegoats could easily go after us.  I and others started refusing all such work.

The guy in this case certainly knew he was part of a big scam.  He was helicoptered to big events, one at the Royal Cliff in Pattaya and thoroughly played the role of CEO, making speeches with specific financial claims.  He was paid very well.  His claims of being innocent & naive to what he was doing are laughable.

Derek Keller met with his wife Tanya and daughter Beverly on Tuesday after more than one year at a South Korean airport before returning to the lone star state on Wednesday. Keller was locked up in Bangkok’s maximum security Klong Prem Prison without bail since Aug. 2018.

What badly written piece of journalism

10 minutes ago, dddave said:

“ ...The guy in this case certainly knew he was part of a big scam.  He was helicoptered to big events, one at the Royal Cliff in Pattaya and thoroughly played the role of CEO, making speeches with specific financial claims.  He was paid very well.  His claims of being innocent & naive to what he was doing are laughable.”

He was paid $15,000.

This is the link to an earlier ThaiVisa article on this story, together with readers’ comments:

4 hours ago, Emdog said:

... bet this fella wasn't allowed a volleyball for company in the cell either... 

5 hours ago, Benmart said:

It has no relevance. It just makes a juicier story for the peddlers of "news". Former soldier. Former policeman. Former this, former that. Means nothing unless it has a direct relationship.

A report in a British newspaper yesterday 'Former Policeman Conned Out Of His Life Savings.'

He was in the Kenyan Police Reserve in 1953.

18 hours ago, bkkatl said:

I can see by your quote your obviously not military. Now your chance to tell us how you served as a 0311 Bravo in the Army. 

16 hours ago, rkidlad said:

As per report, Thailand has a 95% conviction rate, so yea; I’d say the mention of his being in the US navy has a huge relevance. 

Next........

You say "Next..." as though you have just successfully answered a question.  Odd.  Did you jump up from the keyboard and swagger around the room after typing that?

"...his being in the US navy has a huge relevance".

How?  The connection between his job and an alleged 95% conviction rate, (were did that gem come from?) is what?

I'd say his job has absolutely no relevance to anything in this case of his.

Archived