Fireworks, flying lanterns banned for Loy Krathong Nov 11

Rimmer

Fireworks, flying lanterns banned for Loy Krathong Nov 11

1364-pN2-Oct-26-02-No-fireworks.jpg

PATTAYA:--Once again this year, fireworks and kom loys (flying lanterns) are banned during Loy Krathong on Monday November 11.

Violators face stiff fines, imprisonment, or both.

Pattaya City is asking for cooperation from manufacturers, collectors, sellers, and the general public to not light and release sky rockets, floating lanterns, or any other similar fire hazards which may lead to damaged property, especially houses in the area. Officials say kom loys can even cause a hazard to air craft.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-10-29--

• Sad 2

my first Loy trip was in 2005.  It was pretty to watch.  But I also had to wonder how many fires would be set as the lanterns drift south towards the hill and land on roof tops, the treetops, etc.  However, now with so many condos there, not that much vegetation to burn.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, alant said:

After a year or 2 of Loy Krathong, I can't recall reports of all these fires the lanterns cause

The main thing is that (if enforced) the 'mushroom farmers' can't blame the that the forest fires are  caused by lanterns.

One year in Hua Hin I watched a fire lantern drift onto a very large hotel balcony nearby. The room door was open and fortunately the fire lantern hit the wall beside the door and burnt out eventually. It did not enter what appeared to be an unoccupied room on about the tenth floor. Could have been nasty. Also saw one set fire to power lines in Chiang Mai.

These things need to be considered. Its not about spoiling your fun and games.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Flying lanterns is hazard to low lying planes and roof of houses. 

Where does it fall after burning off its fuel? On rooftops of houses? Who's going to clean the rooftop?

I support the ban. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Prison , really?  What aircraft over Pattaya ?  I see one a month at most. Over reaction of the first order. 

I see one every 5 minutes after dark from my balcony in Naklua, leaving from Don Muang and Swampy and landings at U Tapao.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Prison , really?  What aircraft over Pattaya ?  I see one a month at most. Over reaction of the first order. 

I see 5-6 a day at least... flight path to U-Tapao. See that door with raB written on it, walk through it during daylight hours and look up. 

• Haha 1

Last year there was a collective childrens birthday party in our village. 

One of the Thai parents went to buy sparklers for the kids , but was told that they were banned under the fireworks ban.????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2019 at 10:24 AM, Rimmer said:

Pattaya City is asking for cooperation from manufacturers, collectors, sellers, and the general public to not light and release sky rockets,

Let's translate this plee into the language of the informal Thai economy. 

Pattaya Government: "Don't make money on Loi Krathong; there will be lots of people and you could definitely get ahead financially from skyrocket sales, but please don't sell them. We won't have police to enforce because they don't feel like it, so please help them enforce the law, please. Thank you." 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I see 5-6 a day at least... flight path to U-Tapao. See that door with raB written on it, walk through it during daylight hours and look up. 

I live in Na-Jomtien and never see or hear any of the U-Tapao planes     are they very quiet  or flying at an extremely high altitude ?      quite ( but not very)  often I will see and hear the military helicopter and planes flying about but  hardly ever a civil aircraft.

P_20190108_172738.thumb.jpg.aad41dfd755bfb2f0a536a106969c671.jpg

22 minutes ago, johng said:

I live in Na-Jomtien and never see or hear any of the U-Tapao planes     are they very quiet  or flying at an extremely high altitude ?      quite ( but not very)  often I will see and hear the military helicopter and planes flying about but  hardly ever a civil aircraft.

Heck no, many are quite low and you can recognize them as Air Asia, usually heading S.E. If a military helicopter passes over it sounds like it is in the kitchen. I guess they are coming in off the sea and tracking Hwy 36.

6 hours ago, johng said:

Helium maybe...but I think they  banned that already ( helium in balloons )

Ah  yes. helium  the safer choice. Banned? My  3  year old  grand daughter  came  home this evening from local market  with a  floating  dinosaur  balloon with a wrist  band to prevent  early  escape.

Not  that I agree in such frivalous  waste on  yet another  piece of plastic  waste in favour  of  some  real food  for same expenditure but  thats  where  life is  going.

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 2:19 PM, Vacuum said:

The main thing is that (if enforced) the 'mushroom farmers' can't blame the that the forest fires are  caused by lanterns.

Most of the pollution we seem to get is not around Loy Krathong, do the fires the lanterns cause smoulder for months before bursting into flames?????

On 10/29/2019 at 9:51 PM, Mick501 said:

Hypothetically, if we felt compelled to check out these non existent lanterns, where (in Pattaya) would be the best spot not to see them?

Launched from the beach - they generally drift out to sea, and most people know not to launch them if the wind is blowing inland.

Bang Saen beach is good place - 30 minutes from Pattaya.

And if a bit paper and wire is really a hazard to aircraft, they should ban all planes from flying every day, as an A380 landing on your roof will do a bit more damage than a paper lantern.

Edited by Kinnock
  • Like 1