SURVEY: Bangkok, sinking into the sea or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Bangkok, sinking into the sea or not?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Over the years there have been various predictions about the future of BKK and the surrounding area, from land subsistence to rising sea levels.   Which of the following best fits your opinion of the situation?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's no secret that it is sinking since long.

Saw some documentary with stunning examples like shop entrances below street level (street been raised/filled up).

Roads under elevated highways sinking below pillar foundation etc.

Do you have any link to these documentary?

• Like 1

Sea walls won't protect BKK unless they also divert the Chao Praya River (but where to?).

As the sea rises (with or without 'sea walls'), the river will have nowhere to go, except sideways.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Weird question to ask the member. How they will know?

I agree. This is not a matter of opinion. This question can only measure which media point of view is dominant.

Edited by LawrenceN
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

I just need to walk around the neighborhood to see it.

It's a bit more than 20cm in 20 years,  more like 20cm in 10 years,  but i guess it depends on the location

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, khunPer said:

When BKK is flooded TAT can reuse the old tourist slogan "Venice of the East", eventually updated to "Amazing Venice of the East"...????

More like "City of Angels" will become "City of Mermaids"

and TAT can reuse the old tourist slogan "Venice of the East",

eventually updated to "Atlantis of the East"

PS: Save that plastic Folks, cause it Floats...

Edited by WhatupThailand
add ps

3 hours ago, zhounan said:

Just come to Bangkok and see with your own eyes. But before Bangkok sinks, there will be build huge walls of plastic waste on the coasts of Thailand.

We were spending our ชิม ช้อป ใช้ cash, having lunch at Baan Rabiangnam today, watching the Chao Phraya river flow by. The curious thing is that, over 60 kilometers from the sea, the river was flowing upstream. Helps one realize just how low much the delta is. 

• Like 1

We don't live that far  from Chaengwattana Makro, so not that far above 'sea level'. I have suggested to MrsJ several times that we should sell up and move ...all I get is her saying 'they have been saying'  Bangkok will flood as long as she can remember.

I do note that the new Princess Chulabhorn Hospital ground floor is at least 1.5M above the local road....

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's no secret that it is sinking since long.

Saw some documentary with stunning examples like shop entrances below street level (street been raised/filled up).

Roads under elevated highways sinking below pillar foundation etc.

Whenever a hard surface reduces the moisture content in any soil, the soil shrinks. The examples you state are typical and expected.

But there is no measurable momement in column because the foundations will have been designed and calculated for correct soil type and resistance

• Haha 1