Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

Looks lovely, although bloomin' cold, hope you've got yer thermals on!

Raining & cold (to me anyway) here in Nongbualamphu.

What's the vaccination situation in Scotland? My UK bil had the AZ last week, apart from feeling a little tired, he's ok.

When are you next offshore?

Keep warm, & your spirits ???? up!

@Kadilo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

@owl sees all sorry I meant to ask earlier, what's with the dumping of the dirt as in your earlier pics ? 

I don't fully know GT.

There was a pond getting dug outside the village. There are two aspects to this:

Firstly, the contractors charge for a truck load of soil from the person having the pond dug.

Secondly, the soil is then sold to anyone who wants it.

If the soil is stony, there will plenty of takers. If the truck just has mud and clay, no-one wants it. This soil was pretty good. I guess that's why. But I think a couple of villagers have gone OTT.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bannork said:

Still raining here Owl, cows are in the shed all day. I cut and shred some Napier grass for them earlier but now it's straw from our haystack for the rest of the day, I'm afraid. Dropped in to see some goats nearby.

IMG_20210127_223127.jpg

IMG_20210207_102809.jpg

That is a cracking pic of the goats.

The rain has made a mess of the road outside.

457250251_mudeverywhere03.png.e72b1e42bc91359503a29d41fb9deada.png323326690_mudeverywhere02.png.ada872f164f0e3b0e7db8f7f6b2882c9.png1380414974_mudeverywhere01.png.88e00c24aca053edf76e22036f6721c4.png

I guess it will all wash away in time. A stiff broom could help!

Meant to ask you Owl, did you ever drop in on Brian's restaurant/ cafe in Ban Dung, past the hospital going into town, on the left about 100 yards after the road narrows to two lanes? Anyway, he's now moved to Nong Khai and opened a restaurant there near the Vietnamese one on the promenade.  

Kadilo, I once worked in The Shetlands on a building site back in 1975. Wonderful scenery, the coves etc but I was struck by the trees. There weren't any! We lived in a caravan in a field and were woken up regularly by cows grazing and bumping into the side of the caravan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Sorry for the late reply Ody.Now to answer your question why I find Australia to be totally undesirable.

Firstly it started when my wife's residency application was denied about 20 years ago.We were also informed off the record that because of that she wouldn't be granted any visas in the future.We did try for a tourist visa about seven years ago to go to a bit of a Christmas family reunion and that was also denied.After the initial visa denial I began to view Oz from a different perspective and began to notice the hypocrisy in things like " a fair go" is a core Australian value in the way Aboriginals are treated and have been treated in the past.They have had their land and sovereignty  stolen and have no rights to it because of "terra nullius" which states there was nobody in Australia when the English arrived which was decided by the high court and is obviously a lie.For me Australia is based on a lie. So I've decided that if the Australian Government thinks that is what "a fair go" is and then go around the world criticising other countries for how they treat their people is a somewhat hypocritical.These are the two core reasons I find Australia "totally undesirable" and until they are addressed I will continue to do so.For me these things outweigh Australia's many positives and hold it back from becoming a truly great nation.

Well..that is a different answer to the one I was expecting..which is generally along the lines of "cheaper cost of living..lower rents..access to women.." which I generally see on threads on this forum.

As I don't know the personal details of why Immigration rejected the application I can hardly comment altho' my wife's and her friends applications have all gone as smooth as silk and without any unnecessary fuss-my wife is well on her way to citizenship now.All Thai that I happen to speak to seem to be very happy to be here,sense the opportunities for the future and regard the benefits they and their offspring receive as far beyond what they might expect in Thailand.

"Terra Nullius" was rejected by the High Court 30 years ago.

Now..I live in a "mixed race" rural town but that also includes significant groups of Filipino's and Thai with a smattering of Khmer and muslims from Bangladesh and Pakistan.My doctors are Chinese,Egyptian,and Pakistani.One of my friends is Swedish and another from Zimbabwe.My wife cooks kangaroo red curries for our koorie neighbours..they,in turn,bring her fish (gratis)that they have caught in the river.

Sure..it's all a work in progress...

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, bannork said:

Meant to ask you Owl, did you ever drop in on Brian's restaurant/ cafe in Ban Dung, past the hospital going into town, on the left about 100 yards after the road narrows to two lanes? Anyway, he's now moved to Nong Khai and opened a restaurant there near the Vietnamese one on the promenade.  

Kadilo, I once worked in The Shetlands on a building site back in 1975. Wonderful scenery, the coves etc but I was struck by the trees. There weren't any! We lived in a caravan in a field and were woken up regularly by cows grazing and bumping into the side of the caravan.

If it's the one I'm thinking of; no.

A French guy opened a restaurant just along there, a couple of years back. Could be the same place.

Also, there was a bar/grub gaff named the 'Sports Bar' a few years back; along that stretch of shops. Went in there a few times.

Edited by owl sees all

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

If it's the one I'm thinking of; no.

There was a French guy opened a restaurant just along there, a couple of years back. Could be the same place.

There was a bar/grub gaff named the 'Sports Bar' a few years back; along that stretch of shops. Went in there a few times.

Every town/city has a “Sports Bar”????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

"Terra Nullius" was rejected by the High Court 30 years ago.

"In the Mabo case the High Court rejected Terra Nullius, but only to the extent that common law had failed to recognise and protect the pre-existing land rights of Indigenous Australians.

However Terra Nullius remains in place as the basis in 'international law' for Britain's acquisition of Sovereignty over Australia and its Indigenous peoples." 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

However Terra Nullius remains in place as the basis in 'international law' for Britain's acquisition of Sovereignty over Australia and its Indigenous peoples." 

Of course-it was 1770 after all when Lieutenant James Cook claimed sovereignty over the eastern coast of Australia-which in a quite bizarre piece of nomenclature he called New South Wales.

The eastern coast of Australia looks nothing like 'South Wales' and,in fact,I laughed aloud when I had the opportunity to compare them.????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Of course-it was 1770 after all when Lieutenant James Cook claimed sovereignty over the eastern coast of Australia-which in a quite bizarre piece of nomenclature he called New South Wales.

The eastern coast of Australia looks nothing like 'South Wales' and,in fact,I laughed aloud when I had the opportunity to compare them.????

Of course it would be remiss of me not to recognise my own hypocrisy after working in the Pilbara for 12 years aiding and abetting in the raping and pillaging of the land along side many Aboriginals and reaping my share of the spoils, most of which has been pilfered by my ever loving wife, such is the nature of sharing and caring.What's even worse is I would be happy to return for further raping and pillaging if I were given the opportunity. ???? Poor poor pitiful me, as the saying goes.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Of course it would be remiss of me not to recognise my own hypocrisy after working in the Pilbara for 12 years aiding and abetting in the raping and pillaging of the land along side many Aboriginals and reaping my share of the spoils, most of which has been pilfered by my ever loving wife, such is the nature of sharing and caring.What's even worse is I would be happy to return for further raping and pillaging if I were given the opportunity. ???? Poor poor pitiful me, as the saying goes.

You need a bit of humour,my friend..

Here it is..'Fluvius Nullius'

DSCN0880.JPG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If that was a Thai word in the middle it would nearly be No Water Creek

'Som nam na" creek?

Well we have wandered a bit of topic me old mate and I shall return it to Owl and life in Isaan..the fishing fleet...Ubon..

DSCN9017.JPG

DSCN9018.JPG

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

That rain yesterday caught out people who put down soil/stone/mud and then forgot about it.

1190094841_stuckinmud01.png.d3bee1a5d28f25e8a007b2ff4f85be1b.png

Looks like a business pick-up too.

114934867_stuckinmud02.png.3d04499e3fe7a0eca4c485789a4f4ae4.png

It takes a whole wet season to wash the mud out of the stone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

That rain yesterday caught out people who put down soil/stone/mud and then forgot about it.

1190094841_stuckinmud01.png.d3bee1a5d28f25e8a007b2ff4f85be1b.png

Looks like a business pick-up too.

114934867_stuckinmud02.png.3d04499e3fe7a0eca4c485789a4f4ae4.png

It takes a whole wet season to wash the mud out of the stone.

And next door to us.

1678085671_stuckinmud03.png.59d7a4c5e408901f97a36db8d562b3af.png

Will not be driving up there any time soon.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Interesting short story about a guy who opened a bar/food joint in Ban Dung a few years back.

He was doing very well, but in the second month a Thai drunk came into the bar and lay down in the corner. He wouldn't more and any attempts to move him - by local Thai guys - was met with kicking and screaming. After half an hour he got up and left, but not before the evening was ruined for the bar owner.

The next day, just after opening, he had a visit from a local uniformed peeler. The cop spoke to the wife. Then quietly left. Asked what the cop had said, she replied; "Man last night was bad man. Cannot stop him doing again. But policeman will help." "How?" "I agree pay 4k each month to stop."

Even in Isaan, where the rules sometimes don't apply, someone is always on the make/take, it seems.

That's a bit of a random story, albeit an entertaining one.................around the world, the face of extortion and protection is the same, just the price is different, yet relative...the peeler (showing your age here Owl), could have left it a few days b4 showing his cards..!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bannork said:

Sounds like your accelerated heart rate worried you Owl. If you get the symptoms again you could go to Ban Dung hospital who might refer you to Udon for checks. Otherwise the private hospital(s) in Udon will cost an arm and leg.

Because of high blood pressure I see the doc at Ban Dung every 3 months and having a Social Security card the pills are cheap, BP at 130. I asked for statins to lower my cholesterol and got those too. They do a blood and urine test every 6 months and the nurse warned me I was at risk of diabetes so I cut out adding sugar to anything, stopped drinking soft drinks etc. 

The nurse kept telling the locals to cut down on sticky rice due to high sugar content.

I've had to forgo on the HP sauce too, high sugar levels, dam! Still mustard is a healthy alternative.

Great weather after the rain, everything's refreshed on the farm, new grass for the cows and the banana trees are looking very pleased with themselves. 

That's very sad about the sugar in HP sauce. Apparently there's 23%. Sadly I see mustard's also in there at 13%.

sauce source: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36071678    

It's crazy the amount of salt, sugar, fat is added to processed food  by the manufacturers. I often mention this book of the same name, well worth reading:

"Salt Sugar Fat is a breathtaking feat of reporting. Michael Moss was able to get executives of the world's largest food companies to admit that they have only one job—to maximize sales and profits—and to reveal how they deliberately entice customers by stuffing their products with salt, sugar, and fat."

• Like 1