Poll for longer term expats: Do you feel scapegoated as a foreigner here?

Jingthing

Scapegoating?  

290 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think the Burmese guy sweeping my road has 800k in the bank, or a work permit for that matter.

They probably enjoy a freedom of movement type allowance like in the EU

As has been said, perhaps you should go to a Burmese forum and pose the question.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

I appreciate that I've been allowed to stay here, I feel very unappreciated for the contributions I have made. My wife has a home which I can never own, she has money in the bank, property, health insurance. I send money to her parents, more than their Thai old age pensions amount to. Every year we help her nieces and nephews with schooling expenses, her parents with medical expenses and we make supply run once a year. I'm not asking for thanks, a pat on the back or a welldone! It would be nice to not get kicked out of the country because I can't get health insurance though. Just sayin'.

None of the above are requirements for obtaining a visa/extension.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

None of the above are requirements for obtaining a visa/extension.

That's true, I did vote that I don't feel like I've been scapegoated at all. I currently meet all the requirements for extension and have done so for my last 12. I am diabetic, health insurance will, in all probability, not cover me for heart and stroke. I am more than willing to deposit an amount of money in a Thai bank equal to the minimum required coverage. What I am not willing to do is pay for coverage that doesn't cover my pre-existing condition. I"ve enjoyed my life here, would like to stay with my wife and extended family, I hope to continue to do so. If it becomes impossible I can pack my bags. Nobody invited me in the first place, I came of my own volition so nobody in Thailand owes me anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wrote to a moderate degree but it is only because of immigration who seem to treat fangs like criminals.

Women tend to have no problems with us....but the men? I have been here over 10 years and don't have a single Thai male friend (apart from an ex-employee and a relative of the wife's)...I feel men don't care for us here.

In my youth, I can remember going to a public phone box in England and a racist group had put up a postcard with the picture of a black guy and a strap line "Coming over here to steal your women and your job". I do wonder if Thai men resent us because we take their women?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, emptypockets said:

And I predict a large majority don't live in Thailand. I regularly spend a lot of time in downtown Bangkok, if you can call lower Sukhumvit downtown, never been stopped and searched. Not ever. Not once. Never.

10 years for me in Asoke area. Never been stopped or frisked.

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Tom, Dick and Harry - - htough not every TD & H... just the ones who misstated their income on letters from the embassy... 

How could lying about your income possibly hurt anyone.

My Thai neighbour lives on 10k/month (including rent).

Had a Kiwi pal happily living in CM on 20k/month doing 2 week VISA runs (the good old days).

Nobody NEEDs 65k/month to live on.

You're just writing BS.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

What I am not willing to do is pay for coverage that doesn't cover my pre-existing condition.

I agree with everybody that the policies being pushed are <deleted>, but what you’re asking for is akin to buying automobile collision insurance after the accident has already occurred.