Foreigners allowed to change visa status while in Vietnam: NA

webfact

Foreigners allowed to change visa status while in Việt Nam: NA

53344_vote.jpg

National Assembly deputies vote on amendments to the immigration law on Monday. VNA/VNS Photo

HÀ NỘI — The National Assembly (NA) on Monday voted for amendments to the immigration law, for the first time allowing visitors to change their visa status and prolong their stays in Việt Nam without having to fly out of the country.

The amendment was approved by an overwhelming 83.6 per cent for the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit and Residence of Foreigners.

The law will come into effect on July 1 next year, allowing visitors to apply to change their visas under a number of circumstances.

Visitors who can prove they are investors or representatives of foreign organisations that make legal investments in Việt Nam will be allowed to have their purpose of visit switched during their stay in the country.

Family members of invitees will also enjoy the same advantage.

Read more at http://vietnamnews.vn/politics-laws/548937/foreigners-allowed-to-change-visa-status-while-in-viet-nam-na.html#DKPlxYZbVWKcAC9W.99 

-- Viet Nam News 2019-11-26

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK for those that appear confused try this.

The news article says that "investors or representatives of foreign organizations that make legal investments in Vietnam will be allowed to have their purpose of visit switched during their stay in the country." and "Family members of invitees will also enjoy the same advantage."

Foreigners have the ability to change their visa status in Thailand already. Visa-exempt, ED, SETV and METV can be changed to a Non-O for long-stay. They can also switch to Elite with at least one property developer also offering this type of visa with the purchase of a condo here. There's also some BOI privileges that extend to immigration status.

I ask again, rub what in?

Edited by NanLaew

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

OK for those that a pear confused try this.

The news article says that "investors or representatives of foreign organizations that make legal investments in Vietnam will be allowed to have their purpose of visit switched during their stay in the country." and "Family members of invitees will also enjoy the same advantage."

Foreigners have the ability to change their visa status in Thailand already. Visa-exempt, ED, SETV and METV can be changed to a Non-O for long-stay. They can also switch to Elite with at least one property developer also offering this type of visa with the purchase of a condo here. There's also some BOI privileges that extend to immigration status.

I ask again, rub what in?

Yeah it didn't seem that great news to me either. Send me a memo when Vietnam has an easy retirement visa that doesn't require having a passport thick as an old phone book to deal with all the visa runs. 

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

Why all the hatred towards Westerns/ non Thais? What a nasty twisted person you are. Here is a news flash for you: Westerners like me are leaving thailand not because we are skint but because of people like you.

Oh my, you ARE upset. I was sensing that some other members comments were suggesting that Vietnam's latest visa edict was going to make it easier for retirees to stay there when in reality, it appears to apply to bona fide investors, foreign company representatives and possibly their family members. AFAIK, the 'flood' of elderly foreigners suddenly exploring Vietnam as an alternative to Thailand don't fit those categories.

And I assure you, I don't work for Thai immigration.

Some Westminster have principles and think enough is enough and leave and why should I give Thailand £22,000 to stay there and beg for a extension every year.

Because you can live cheaper somewhere else? What is your point? Who is begging?.. or maybe it should be why are you begging?

When we leave it is the Thai community we live in and Thailand that sufferes; how you may ask for me it was builder who never got to build the 75sm extention, Ford who never got the sale of a 3.2lt pickup, Honda for not getting the sale of a Africa Twin adventure and the bank lost the foreign currency I brought in over 17 years which has now stopped.

The foreign retirees total contribution to the Thai GDP is negligible and in your particular case, all 17 years of it. But thanks for playing. For every foreigner who's not building a home extension, buying a pickup or a motorbike, there will be a hundred Thais who will.

Spare us the old 'farang is racist' trope and mind that door on the way out.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That just reinforces my view that Thailand and Vietnam are on very different trajectories. While Vietnam still has a long way to go in many areas (e.g. health care, shopping), things seem to be moving nicely - in the right direction.

Here's the rub. Vietnam is catching up.

I know. I've visited and worked there regularly, maybe 3 or 4 long trips a year since around 2005. It's great but it aint all that quite yet.

Edited by NanLaew

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah it didn't seem that great news to me either. Send me a memo when Vietnam has an easy retirement visa that doesn't require having a passport thick as an old phone book to deal with all the visa runs. 

Leaving Thailand because of immigration just to find out what stress really is? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Vietnam is slowly relaxing visa issues.

slowly is the word. People that can contribute : businessman , investors etc are being more welcomed. 

They have seen the <deleted>show Thailand has endured in regards to the sextourists, derelicts, criminals, low life's, poor people just existing in Thailand. 

They are in no hurry to copy the mistakes Thailand has made.

great on Vietnam to take things slowly, they most certainly don't want the exodus of low life's from Thailand coming to drag down their country. Glad to see the skints of pattaya  are not welcomed in Vietnam either.

thumbs up to Vietnam.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

slowly is the word. People that can contribute : businessman , investors etc are being more welcomed. 

They have seen the <deleted>show Thailand has endured in regards to the sextourists, derelicts, criminals, low life's, poor people just existing in Thailand. 

They are in no hurry to copy the mistakes Thailand has made.

great on Vietnam to take things slowly, they most certainly don't want the exodus of low life's from Thailand coming to drag down their country. Glad to see the skints of pattaya  are not welcomed in Vietnam either.

thumbs up to Vietnam.

A lot of very ignorant and bigoted generalizations about expats in Thailand. So -- GOODBYE. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

sextourists, derelicts, criminals, low life's, poor people..... that accounts for all of us on this forum then?

Signs of progress but not quite there yet.... I wait to hear if Vietnam is going to do a retirement visa or some path to residency etc. Who knows, a bit of competition may wake the Thais up?

6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

How do you say pariah or persona non grata in Thai?  It is the new second home for oil workers and those who want opportunity.   Military controlled, basket case, played out Thailand will continue to practice the PT Barnum school of business:  A sucker is born every minute.  

Vietnam has worldwide taxation on all income. No oil worker with a brain wants to be a tax resident there.

If you think Vietnams communist dictatorship is in anyway better or nicer than the military here oh damn are you wrong. 

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Haha 1