Looking for a reliable and reasonably priced handyman in Bangkok

Ask in the local area - most such trandsmen stay in a relatively small area where they know sources and people to help them.  Often worthwhile finds such work being done and having someone ask owners opinion and contact information for them.

Ask at the Condo office, most blocks you can pay the guy that does maintenance around the block to do work in your condo. Otherwise they can probably recommend someone you regularly works in the block.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my initial post I've contacted several contractors to see if they can do the jobs I require (smaller ones) and also bigger ones for possible future work. 

Summary:

- Building management couldn't recommend even one contractor!

- Five other contractors contacted. 

- Out of those five, two didn't ever contact back despite me sending a follow up email.

- One arranged to meet me at the property, then re-arranged, then kept me waiting 2 hours on the agreed date, then called to say they couldn't make it ..... 

- One had a call out charge of 900 baht so I passed.

- Only one company got back to me quickly and we have since met so I could show them the work required. Got the quote 24 hours later and they will start next week!!

It is a nightmare to find a contractor who ticks all the boxes (good customer service, decent English, reasonable prices, detailed quote). The one I found has so far been good though they haven't started work on my property yet so I can't vouch for the quality of their work yet.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, skillboy88 said:

It is a nightmare to find a contractor who ticks all the boxes (good customer service, decent English, reasonable prices, detailed quote). The one I found has so far been good though they haven't started work on my property yet so I can't vouch for the quality of their work yet.

I went thru the exact same kind of nightmare with contacting "handymen" for some items we needed done at home a while back. These are guys who are advertising that is their business.  They don't call back. They make appointments they don't keep. They reschedule and reschedule and still don't show up.... Just as you described above.  It's pitiful... 

But then again, AFAIK, there is no licensing system for "contractors" here. No formal training or levels of education they have to have. No testing of their knowledge or skills before they start trying to work.  And no one to hold them responsible if they do a half-a**ed job with whatever they do.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But then again, AFAIK, there is no licensing system for "contractors" here.

Electricians are supposed to be trained and licenced now...there is a thread somewhere on this forum about it with a picture of the licence they are supposed to produce.

• 3 weeks later...