The Thai 'Second' or 'Junior Wife' Phenomena

Pilotman

An article I read stated that 55% of men and 65% of women in Thailand have extramarital affairs. I would not doubt that for a moment. As for myself I do not get involved with other women I might end up with one worse that what I currently have and that is beyond scary.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only experience of this is that my gf's brother has a mia noi, with whom he has a child. His first wife is unaware of it, but he is happy to parade the mia noi before the rest of the family, at functions, etc., and who accept her without question. The strange part (to me) is that the mia noi is a plain Jane, and poompuy. Clearly, then, she must have some hidden talents.

2 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

WOULD YOU AFFORD YOUR WIFE THE 'SAME' PLEASURES YOU ENJOY FOR YOURSELF

She can do whatever she wants to do. Just don't tell me and make sure I never find out or anybody thinks he needs to tell me.

The problem is not if anybody has sex with anybody else. The problem is if the partner starts thinking about this (more or less independent if it actually happens or not).

42 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Yes the Thai man think proud prize. Show off. That how the man think.

The real wife and daughters, sisters, friends think it same sopenee. 

Sorry Danny, but it true.

OK. Here is a true story, not a childish Thai love song.

My wife married at 18 to a handsome Thai Chin man. They had 2 children and lived happily in Suphan. When she was in her mid thirties her husband took a mia noi. After 2 years her husband decided to move the mia noi into the house and my wife was forced to leave with one suitcase, 2 children and no money. She was devastated, suicidal. Her world collapsed. She divorced her husband and rebuilt her life.

Not once has she refered to the other woman as a "sopenee", she wouldn't, she's better than that. It takes a special kind of woman to refer to another woman as a "sopenee" and not the kind of woman I associate with. Farangs refer to them as pseudo HiSo.

36 minutes ago, Irishrogue said:

An article I read stated that 55% of men and 65% of women in Thailand have extramarital affairs. I would not doubt that for a moment. As for myself I do not get involved with other women I might end up with one worse that what I currently have and that is beyond scary.

The best and truest quote on here!

Cant see any benefits whatsoever....with  bar girls you pay to walk away

So why keep another one  it just costs more etc plus in my case of my dearest i would be missing the dangly bits  

Getting a divorce is pretty much not much different than having a second wife in my view. When you find the woman you are with was a waste of time, you can divorce her or just do what you want with her there. Thai women and Thai people are often subservient. They are willing to worship evil people so a husband who has sex on the side or even has known girlfriend isn't a big deal. Do what you want and can. Enjoy life. If you can't keep the first one because its a lemon or acts up, dump it. Sorry but it is true that most Thais mindlessly worship wealth, power and the privileged. There really is not right or wrong in Thailand unless you break the highest laws.

56 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

OK. Here is a true story, not a childish Thai love song.

My wife married at 18 to a handsome Thai Chin man. They had 2 children and lived happily in Suphan. When she was in her mid thirties her husband took a mia noi. After 2 years her husband decided to move the mia noi into the house and my wife was forced to leave with one suitcase, 2 children and no money. She was devastated, suicidal. Her world collapsed. She divorced her husband and rebuilt her life.

Not once has she refered to the other woman as a "sopenee", she wouldn't, she's better than that. It takes a special kind of woman to refer to another woman as a "sopenee" and not the kind of woman I associate with. Farangs refer to them as pseudo HiSo.

Sopenee is actually the polite way to say that job.

21 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

And an awful lot of Farang Thai wives also have boyfriends learning from Thai men. How many Farangs realise they are supporting their wife's boyfriend who find Farang wives very attractive with endless money enabling a full life of leisure?

The name husband farang n.2 is "brother" your wife. ????

A man can have a love and sexual relationship with his wife.

He can also have an extra relationship with another woman for the sex. 

A woman can have a love and sexual relationship with her husband. 

She can also have an extra relationship with another man for the sex or/and money. 

35 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Sopenee is actually the polite way to say that job.

This word is polite. Some other Thai words if used would be considered vulgar and probably start a fight.

The whole concept of a Mia Noi causes  many marital breakups; unhappy children and drains money from one family to another.  IMO it's pure selfishness and arrogance.

It happened in my Thai family in which  the Thai relative ended up staying with the other woman; abandoning his wife and the support of 3 children. He is looked upon by the  rest of us as a selfish degenerate.

24 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

There's no polite way to say "prostitute".

Wrong

Sopanee is same “sex worker”

Guree is like say “dirty filthy whore”

Have many word. 

Ask somebody thai Danny.

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

This word is polite. Some other Thai words if used would be considered vulgar and probably start a fight.

The whole concept of a Mia Noi causes  many marital breakups; unhappy children and drains money from one family to another.  IMO it's pure selfishness and arrogance.

It happened in my Thai family in which  the Thai relative ended up staying with the other woman; abandoning his wife and the support of 3 children. He is looked upon by the  rest of us as a selfish degenerate.

Thankyou Thaidream.

You win “Yinn smart foreigner of Today” award.

Congratulations Sir.

i surprised people think it ok. It more common in north Thailand, I am from south, it really not the good thing here. 

Except the Muslim, but that is different way.

I - and actually my wife - are avid Japanese toys collectors. Rule for me is usually 100 baht invested a beer here is a missed toy there ! ???? So, spending money on a mia noy is right out.

That said, I call the wife Mia Noy a lot, just to keep her on her toes ! And my wife says better to divorce than me have another smaller wife - imagine how you would feel if she had a small husband ? 

34 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

A man can have a love and sexual relationship with his wife.

He can also have an extra relationship with another woman for the sex. 

A woman can have a love and sexual relationship with her husband. 

She can also have an extra relationship with another man for the sex or/and money. 

Where do you live?  Pluto!

I wonder how those of you who admit to 'playing away' would feel if you discovered your wife was doing the same?  I don't understand it - if you want to play around, stay single, you are living in a single man's paradise.

Having been on the receiving end of deception, I know exactly how it feels - to say nothing of the financial and family destruction caused when your deception is discovered.

Everyone gets tempted, its difficult not to when you are faced with 'pretty young things' smiling at you all over the place but nobody's going to accuse you of being a wimp if you don't partake. Besides, I'd suggest that a great many of those smiling 'pretties' are more attracted to your wallet than your rugged good looks - does that really satisfy your ego?

If you do it because your relationship has gone sour - its better to end it and move on.

Now here's a thought that I haven't seen mentioned, Most Thai wives sleep with their children in the same bed up until a quite late age by western standards yes?...

So I should imagine that this makes a lot of Thai men pretty fustrated as they can't have sex with their wives

at night because of children in the bed... Now one solution to this, if you can afford one is to have a Mia noi...

Discuss...

Archived