how to opt out of medicare

i am wanting to opt out of medicare.. i am already auto enrolled do to starting ss at 62...i do not need to know why i need to keep.. i only want to know if any one can tell me how to not have plan b... i turn 65 april 2020.. i read may things and all i see is people who want to tell you what you should do.. i only want to know how to do this... thanks to those who will help me with this question....

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You should get letter in the mail a few months before your birthday informaning you will be eligible.

There is a form to opt into part B it if your address is for here. If you do not want to get it you do not need to do anything if you are living here.

i still use a address in the states just to get mail and things like my bank.. from what i read i am auto enrolled and do not have to enroll. they will just start taking out the money...i need to know what  and how to stop this.. every place i look says yes you can but starts telling you not to do..thanks for you reply and if you know this part please let me know...

6 minutes ago, gonesouth said:

from what i read i am auto enrolled and do not have to enroll. they will just start taking out the money

Not sure where you are reading that - a simple Google says otherwise - you have to enroll - and I know I never enrolled as have better private paid insurance.  

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

if you are shown as living in the US part B will start automatically and you can not opt out of it.

You need to change your mailing address to here if you do not want it.

Parden - indeed it appears if getting SS then may be automatic - I do not receive SS so was asked and declined.  SS office in Manila should be able to answer such questions but many people report issues with correspondence with them and as not directly SS they might decline to help.  Below is Google on your situation.

Call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 and ask if you can decline Part B without any penalties. Write down who you spoke with, when you spoke to them and what they said. should write a letter to the Social Security Administration declining Part B. Keep a copy of the letter for yourself.

Edited by lopburi3
2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

if you are shown as living in the US part B will start automatically and you can not opt out of it.

thank you... can you still have your check sent to you bank in usa.. you are saying just change my address with the ss office and that will be good...i ask this because i use a usa bank and transfer my check each month and the address i use is just a friend but i understand they dont know that..

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure where you are reading that - a simple Google says otherwise - you have to enroll - and I know I never enrolled as have better private paid insurance.  

did you start ss at 62 then turn 65 and nothing happen or something different.. i google and i get if you start at 62 they auto enroll you

Just now, gonesouth said:

did you start ss at 62 then turn 65 and nothing happen or something different.. i google and i get if you start at 62 they auto enroll you

Sorry my mistake as appears all had to make application on first Google and knew I declined when asked.  I receive OPM retirement rather than SS and my health insurance is considered better than medicare so not an issue.  Sorry for my confusion.

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Sorry my mistake as appears all had to make application on first Google and knew I declined when asked.  I receive OPM retirement rather than SS and my health insurance is considered better than medicare so not an issue.  Sorry for my confusion.

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

no problem .. all of this gets very confused and we are dealing with goverment. .lol...that why i am trying to find some one like me that lives here but auto enrolled and how to get out of it .. i am thinking has to be more than just me that this happens to because one day you are 62 and all of a sudden you are 65 and learn you are auto enrolled in something you dont need and can not use but will take you money..lol..

18 minutes ago, gonesouth said:

thank you... can you still have your check sent to you bank in usa.. you are saying just change my address with the ss office and that will be good...i ask this because i use a usa bank and transfer my check each month and the address i use is just a friend but i understand they dont know that..

Change you address will not affect anything other than where you mail from the SSA is sent to.

Been doing so some digging on the medcare site. You might want to have a look.https://www.medicare.gov/

Not found anything yet.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Change you address will not affect anything other than where you mail from the SSA is sent to.

Been doing so some digging on the medcare site. You might want to have a look.https://www.medicare.gov/

Not found anything yet.

thanks .. i will do that...i did go to government site and i could not find any one thing for my question but again is government.. and i think they do what they can to get the money even if you can not really use plan b..... i know you can opt out but it is finding how to do is the problem... last time i call ss i was on hold for 1 hr and half... and got nothing i ask for so i hope to find what to do before i try to call..thanks again for your help....

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not found anything yet.

did a live chat..lol.. first she told me something then came back and said i need to man phone call because what she told me she was not sure....medicare.gov says it all... government..lol.. always problem i think...but thanks for trying...

Cannot start Medicare until you are 65 unless you are on disability. I was allowed to opt out of B, with the caveat that rates would be higher if I started later. Also when you become 65 you have an open enrollment period for Supplement plans which cover the deductible and the 20% copay. I took B and “Hi F” supplement, even though they don’t cover non USA treatment except a 60 day travel insurance with some plans. I maintain a USA address but can go to any state. Note: “Advantage” (HMO) planes ate only good in your home state and I heard that if you receive SS overseas the companies know and cancel you. Be aware that if you have pre-existing conditions and may want USA coverage later you will be subject to medical underwriting after the open enrollment period.

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Parden - indeed it appears if getting SS then may be automatic - I do not receive SS so was asked and declined.  SS office in Manila should be able to answer such questions but many people report issues with correspondence with them and as not directly SS they might decline to help.  Below is Google on your situation.

I just went tbrough this ..manilla ss took 5 months to respond to email and knew nothing about it....Usa SS were also as stupid .. What i learned from experiencs was. 10 % penalty for each year not signed up and reenroll.ent if wanted is on jan 1 and will start 6 months later.  .. I dealt with usa SS for 3 months talked to numerous workers and got different info from each person....DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.  Oh and i am not done yet...dont trust ss or google

22 hours ago, gonesouth said:

no problem .. all of this gets very confused and we are dealing with goverment. .lol...that why i am trying to find some one like me that lives here but auto enrolled and how to get out of it .. i am thinking has to be more than just me that this happens to because one day you are 62 and all of a sudden you are 65 and learn you are auto enrolled in something you dont need and can not use but will take you money..lol..

Simple as can be... no need to blame the government. 

I called my local ss office and had about a two minute conversation and that was it. 

That should not be too confusing. Good luck. 

Before I left the USA I went into the local SS office and signed a form saying I was opting out of Medicare. My difference was I had been on it for five years before doing this. You are probably having difficulties getting the correct info because most people do not decline Medicare.

On December 22, 2019 at 5:53 PM, gonesouth said:

i still use a address in the states just to get mail and things like my bank.. from what i read i am auto enrolled and do not have to enroll. they will just start taking out the money...i need to know what  and how to stop this.. every place i look says yes you can but starts telling you not to do..thanks for you reply and if you know this part please let me know...

I was auto enrolled and received a card. I did nothing and never paid anything nor have I ever had anything deducted from Social Security monthly payments.

But I use my Thai address for SS, income tax 1040, etc.  Not sure if that matters.

You have to cancel your existing enrollment in Medicare part B either in person or over the phone. You and the agent will fill out a form (CMS-1763) during that phone call, but look it up to have answers ready. You will be told about the penalties to re-enroll, but if you are declining because of having other insurance, there would be no penalty. Call 1-800-772-1213. You will have to return your Medicare card for a new one. I found this looking under How to Disenroll from Medicare Part B.

OP Since you took you're SS at 62 you will automatically enrolled.

I worked in the insurance industry for several years specializing in medicare.

Best way to handle this is to go to the social security website and if you dont already have an account setup, then setup an account and login.  Change your address to Thailand. This should trigger that you are out of the country and stop the auto-enroll.

However, things dont always work the way they should. So what will happen if they do auto enroll you will 3 months before you 65th birthday medicare will send out your Medicare card. As soon as you get the card on the back of the form attached to the card will be directions to opt out. Which is pretty much signing and returning the card prior to the 1st day of the month you turn 65. 

Good Luck!!!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I was auto enrolled and received a card. I did nothing and never paid anything nor have I ever had anything deducted from Social Security monthly payments.

But I use my Thai address for SS, income tax 1040, etc.  Not sure if that matters.

yes, that does matter. Since you are registered as being outside the USA you dont qualify for medicare so therefore nothing happened. 

12 hours ago, ifmu said:

I just went tbrough this ..manilla ss took 5 months to respond to email and knew nothing about it....Usa SS were also as stupid .. What i learned from experiencs was. 10 % penalty for each year not signed up and reenroll.ent if wanted is on jan 1 and will start 6 months later.  .. I dealt with usa SS for 3 months talked to numerous workers and got different info from each person....DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.  Oh and i am not done yet...dont trust ss or google

If you didn't enroll when you turned 65 then that is correct you get a 10% penalty for each 12 month period. In 2020 the part B premium is $144.60 so an additional $14.46 per month for each year you didn't enroll. You also have a part D penalty which is 1% per month for each month you didn't enroll. The 2020 national part D premium is $30 so $0.30 for each month you didn't enroll.  These penalties are for life.  Sorry to hear this, it happens allot that people dont know about the penalties. 

Did you happen to have any employer health insurance coverage? If you can prove you had creditable coverage then you wont get hit with the penalty. 

12 hours ago, flbkk said:

Cannot start Medicare until you are 65 unless you are on disability. I was allowed to opt out of B, with the caveat that rates would be higher if I started later. Also when you become 65 you have an open enrollment period for Supplement plans which cover the deductible and the 20% copay. I took B and “Hi F” supplement, even though they don’t cover non USA treatment except a 60 day travel insurance with some plans. I maintain a USA address but can go to any state. Note: “Advantage” (HMO) planes ate only good in your home state and I heard that if you receive SS overseas the companies know and cancel you. Be aware that if you have pre-existing conditions and may want USA coverage later you will be subject to medical underwriting after the open enrollment period.

Anyone can op-out of part B, you are not forced to take it. 

The reason for the higher rate will be due to late enrollment penalties. 

A supplement plan is a good as you can go anywhere you want, but you do pay for it.  

Pre-existing conditions are not really an issue and there is no underwriting with medicare plans. No medicare advantage plan can refuse you unless you have end stage renal disease. A medicare supplement plan can exclude a pre-existing condition but only for a 6 month period and only if you enroll outside of Annual Election Period (AEP). 

On 12/22/2019 at 6:04 AM, ubonjoe said:

if you are shown as living in the US part B will start automatically and you cannot opt out of it.

If you have registered for my social security you can change your address there.

https://www.ssa.gov/site/signin/en/

If you are in the USA you can op out.  When in the USA and eligible a welcome kit is sent out 3 months before you turn 65. In the welcome kit a form is included to opt out of part B, it will also have return postage paid envelope to return the form to Social security. Just need to complete, sign and return prior to the starting date on the card. If sent in late then you would need to submit forms to diss-enroll.   

2 hours ago, ericthai said:

If you are in the USA you can op out.  When in the USA and eligible a welcome kit is sent out 3 months before you turn 65. In the welcome kit a form is included to opt out of part B, it will also have return postage paid envelope to return the form to Social security. Just need to complete, sign and return prior to the starting date on the card. If sent in late then you would need to submit forms to diss-enroll.   

You would not get a postage paid envelope here since it could not be used.

When I got mine here a few years ago it had my medicare card for part A and a form to sign up for part B.

It is different if you are using an address for here than when a using address in the states for the SSA.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ericthai said:

OP Since you took you're SS at 62 you will automatically enrolled.

I worked in the insurance industry for several years specializing in medicare.

Best way to handle this is to go to the social security website and if you dont already have an account setup, then setup an account and login.  Change your address to Thailand. This should trigger that you are out of the country and stop the auto-enroll.

However, things dont always work the way they should. So what will happen if they do auto enroll you will 3 months before you 65th birthday medicare will send out your Medicare card. As soon as you get the card on the back of the form attached to the card will be directions to opt out. Which is pretty much signing and returning the card prior to the 1st day of the month you turn 65. 

Good Luck!!!

This is what happened to me - I sent the card back.  So was not enrolled.

At the time, I did some research. If I should return to USA and want to get Part B, there is an open period (I don't recall exactly when, but March seems to stick in my mind) - there is a 10% penalty for each year you were eligible, but did were not enrolled for Part B (as I read it, the premium will increase by 10% for each year).