The THB - When does it end?!?

On 12/23/2019 at 9:28 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Then they'll do a Gen Chavalit.

@DaRoadrunner  I did not like Chavalit, but it's not fair to only blame him.  The financial system here was fast and loose. The appearance was that there was no limit.  Everybody was getting rich, then a few big dollar embizzlment jobs, George Soros cashing out and bang, the balloon bust. But don't stick it all on Prime Minister Chavalit (even though he was a BM). He had lots of help.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:40 PM, Traubert said:

Is that a tray of 18 eggs that have gone from 4baht each to 5baht each in 15 years?

Hold the front page!!!! ????

15 years ago I got 40 baht to the dollar so those eggs cost 10 cents.

Today's rate is closer to 30 baht to the dollar so those eggs cost 16 cents.

That is near 60% rise.  Back of an envelope math.

Edited by IAMHERE
add sarcasm.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

If you are in Thailand, you would be paying in Baht, rather than dollars

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

And 20 years ago you got 25 baht for the dollar...

>45 was on the height of the asian financial crisis, you got 45 thb per dollar for like 5 months in 2001, and that's it. it looks rather stable since then.... 

The exchange rate now is no different than it was in 2013, but that doesn't fit your guys narrative :d

thbusd.PNG

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 2

On 12/23/2019 at 9:36 PM, Kwasaki said:

And what would that be, most things for me are much the same price as 15 years ago and thanks that's good, maybe that's why the UK froze my govt pension. ????

Fruit on the street used to be 10bt, now 20bt. Coconuts used to be 10bt mid 2000's, then 15bt then 30bt then 40bt. Khao chee on the street used to be bt5 now bt10 - price never came down after rice price spike - represents a near doubling of food costs for the average Thai. To my knowledge these items are not imported (oil spike may have been taken advantage and price maintained when it came down).

On 12/23/2019 at 10:05 PM, Ron jeremy said:

I find it rather funny, borderline hysterical that people still say that prices here have not risen in 15 years.

Not only do they rise, which happens everywhere. But whereas in any other country I've had experience of the prices rise by 2-3 percent, in Thailand they often increase by 10-30 percent at a time. Examples that immediately come to mind are a couple of dairy products. The cheese I used to buy went from 185 to 209, and butter from 89 to 109. Those are not small increases.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

it will end when eu send back the tens of millions of eco refugees from all the sh!tholes of the world back where they belong

I agree that if the eco refugees living here were all to suddenly return to their own countries it would probably have some effect on the Baht, but why would the EU repatriate its citizens living in Thailand?

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2019 at 9:15 PM, SteveK said:

Thailand is a country governed by very rich and very greedy people. Why would they ever sanction any actions to reduce their personal wealth? If you had billions of baht in the bank then a 5% drop in the baht would seriously hurt your ability to go abroad and buy Rolexes and Bentleys. It's just pure personal greed, they couldn't give a rat's ass about the Thai people who are eking out a living.

They are essentially manipulating the country to keep themselves rich. Screw tourism, exports, GDP or any of that stuff. They don't care about that. They just care about how rich they are.

It's laughable to think that the baht is worth so much. It's just pure corruption and manipulation.

Agree that Baht seems overvalued and the affect on my USD retirement is certainly being felt. As to control by the wealthy, not excusing but observing it is the same reason I cannot be retired in my own country and have the same living standard as here (getting dangerously close to me being outpaced in Thailand also).

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

What you posted here is nonsense, go into any noodle shop, 10 years ago 20 baht, now 40/ 45 baht.

I buy dry dog food small bags because on my scooter i cannot carry large bags, 1 month ago 89 baht, last saturday 99 baht.

The coffee creamer i buy was in 1kg bags, now 900 gram, but still the same price.

Now i have given you 3 examples, but there are a lot more.

That sounds a lot for dog food Colin Now as I have only cats I can't compare but in the  pet food shop here the price has been the same for quite a while .  Whiskers which is the cats fav. is 80B kilo, the cheaper stuff is 50.

1 minute ago, toofarnorth said:

That sounds a lot for dog food Colin Now as I have only cats I can't compare but in the  pet food shop here the price has been the same for quite a while .  Whiskers which is the cats fav. is 80B kilo, the cheaper stuff is 50.

Sorry i should have said 99 baht for a 2kg bag of dry dog food.

23 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I agree that if the eco refugees living here were all to suddenly return to their own countries it would probably have some effect on the Baht, but why would the EU repatriate its citizens living in Thailand?

sweden pay twice as much on immigrants as they do on national defense,

this comes at a cost, borrowing money and paying compounding interest

on insignificant others, ditto for most of eu, it should come as no

surprise euro is plummeting vs nations that doesnt spend its money

on insignificant others

the eco refugees in thailand is a different kettle of fish altogether,

thailand has the sense of making money on us instead of

spending money on us, you see the difference ?

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

It doesn't stop. It never has stopped and never will. Deal with it.

I disagree. I think the Baht has almost topped out and will very gradually weaken, but not crash.

It has to, it's simply not sustainable at current levels for an export/tourism based economy (even the government has acknowledged this).

4 hours ago, jastheace said:

Iran was close to that also. i wouldn't worry about those figures

lol fella you stick to what you think you know and I'll stick to what 36 years in finance tells me I do know

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, Na Fan said:

Since I've started working here, I have taken a hard TWENTY PERCENT loss in income, being paid in USD. It used to be 36-37, and now I don't even get 30 to the dollar anymore. All the while, local prices go up and up.

Aren't you lucky you're not a Brit.  Use to get 73 to the pound, now less than 40. Think positive, there's always someone worse off!

• Like 2

On 12/23/2019 at 11:14 PM, Kwasaki said:

So typical of a silly  example.

The way I see it is my council tax in my village province for the land our house is on is 8 baht a year, in the UK it was a bit more than that. ????

My electric bill has been constant pretty much for years in Thailand, same water and gas.

Diesel 14 baht 15 years ago now 27 baht, not bad me thinks.

And you go on about about eggs, our eggs cost nowt and chickens eat family food leftovers. 

But you cannot say it's a lie your pound has dropped almost half it's valeu since 15 years ago hence everything being more expensive compared to overseas and compared to 15 years ago that's what they mean .

On 12/23/2019 at 9:36 PM, Kwasaki said:

And what would that be, most things for me are much the same price as 15 years ago and thanks that's good, maybe that's why the UK froze my govt pension. ????

You don't eat food? Prices at local markets have gone up. Streetfood is more expensive. Where do you buy stuff for the same price as 15 years ago? Beer and alcohol is much more expensive now compared to 15 years ago. 

• Like 2