Ex-Olympic champion nabbed for working without a permit

snoop1130

18 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

And your champion medal count in any race is ?

You definitely get the gold medal for brainless comments.

That being said, my Olympic gold medal count is as high as the cyclist in question.

If 3rd place finishers are referred to as champions, then 3rd place teams from the World Cup or any other competition can refer to themselves as champions.  You can keep your gold medal though!????

Edited by grifbel
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, BigC said:

Many countries  round the world require wo4k permits for foreigners 

Trying to do on the cheap

Why the gym not ask for his permit?

The company has to submit all sorts of paperwork including directors etc and tax records etc.  You take it further------

Edit.

And not many countries have such an extensive list of protected jobs ie Thais only lines of work.

Edited by overherebc

UPDATE:

Olympian Marc Ryan's Thailand 'jail' horror

An Olympic Games medal winner from New Zealand was reportedly forced to spend four nights in a filthy immigration detention centre in Thailand.

Former track cyclist Marc Ryan, who won bronze in the team pursuit in 2008 and 2012, was arrested on December 9 due to a visa mix-up.

According to the New Zealand Herald, immigration police alleged Ryan had been working illegally at a cycling studio in Bangkok.

The report said 37-year-old Ryan was forced to sleep in a dirty and crowded cell for two nights following his arrest.

Full story: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/118506414/olympian-marc-ryans-thailand-jail-horror

-- Stuff 2019-12-30

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

UPDATE:

An Olympic Games medal winner from New Zealand was reportedly forced to spend four nights in a filthy immigration detention centre in Thailand.

Former track cyclist Marc Ryan, who won bronze in the team pursuit in 2008 and 2012, was arrested on December 9 due to a visa mix-up.

According to the New Zealand Herald, immigration police alleged Ryan had been working illegally at a cycling studio in Bangkok.

The report said 37-year-old Ryan was forced to sleep in a dirty and crowded cell for two nights following his arrest.

Full story: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/118506414/olympian-marc-ryans-thailand-jail-horror

-- Stuff 2019-12-30

What was the visa "mix up"??

He actually did not have one allowing him to have a work permit??

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 9:32 AM, overherebc said:

The company has to submit all sorts of paperwork including directors etc and tax records etc.  You take it further------

Edit.

And not many countries have such an extensive list of protected jobs ie Thais only lines of work.

I know  that each company is limited ti amount  of work permits per company 

Still he Could have got q consultant permit for fitness

Tourist  visa is just taking the <deleted>

I know people who when they come here and decide to work the first  thing tney ask is how to get a work permit before  even beginning  work

There  are lots of peoppe working  with permits

Why should  other people cheat the system and pay less while everyone else pays the right  amount 

There are allot of gyms  in Thailand  if he was as good trainer as he said he was then he could  have either set up his own fitness company or gone to a gym that sypplied his work permit

No excuse

Plus not sure but have to doubke check but thjnk they may have  relaxed work permit rules so people can travel around  to different address with one permit

Rarther than just the address the permit is registered  to

I am surprised it took them this long actually

This guy was pretty in the open coaching many & even dated/trained Varnvarn Aroonnnapa for awhile

They also took a trip to Bali but I noticed after he posted an IG pic kissing her it all went south

(shouldn't kiss & tell) ????

2 hours ago, BigC said:

I know people who when they come here and decide to work the first  thing tney ask is how to get a work permit before  even beginning  work

Why should  other people cheat the system and pay less while everyone else pays the right  amount 

There are allot of gyms  in Thailand  if he was as good trainer as he said he was then he could  have either set up his own fitness company or gone to a gym that sypplied his work permit

No excuse

Plus not sure but have to doubke check but thjnk they may have  relaxed work permit rules so people can travel around  to different address with one permit

Forget the idea of

'Have permit Will travel' 

You can go and work for another branch of the same company in another province but the company still has to register you with the labour office in that province without having to apply for a new WP.

You can't get a WP that allows you to work wherever and for whatever company you feel like.

Edited by overherebc

7 hours ago, webfact said:

UPDATE:

... forced to spend four nights in a filthy immigration detention centre in Thailand.

The whole point of the article was the condition of the cell(s) at the detention center. I feel for him and others who have been caught in these difficult situations. It is only a deterrent if there is a lot of publicity.  Maybe that's what immigration are wanting to happen. (still sad and hope I never mess-up).

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BigC said:

No excuse

Lots of Thai companies don't want to go through the hassle & expense of getting work permits for employees, that came over in some of the stuff I've read about teachers in Thailand.

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Lots of Thai companies don't want to go through the hassle & expense of getting work permits for employees, that came over in some of the stuff I've read about teachers in Thailand.

Well if thats the case as they say

Up to them

But if they already know  what they are doing then par for the coarse

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Forget the idea of

'Have permit Will travel' 

You can go and work for another branch of the same company in another province but the company still has to register you with the labour office in that province without having to apply for a new WP.

You can't get a WP that allows you to work wherever and for whatever company you feel like.

Was wondering  about that

For exampke electricans who work from.house to house  have had problems in the past was hoping  them ammended some job rules

14 minutes ago, BigC said:

Was wondering  about that

For exampke electricans who work from.house to house  have had problems in the past was hoping  them ammended some job rules

Expat electricians would not get a WP to do domestic work. Probably on big construction jobs, power station shut downs etc.

36 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Wow so many holier than thow people on here or I'm alright Jack up you. Grasping one part of a story and excluding all else is so typical of the twisted hatred on here. It's the conditions he was kept in that is the story here and not the archaic immigration laws of Thailand. I never realised there were so many perfect law abiding expats in Thailand who break no laws and or play in the murky gray areas of Thailand and its laws. So boring or such fibbers I not sure which. To the perfect who do no wrong and wish all law breakers burnt at the stake are most likely technically breaking Thai immigration laws every day from driving your own car, washing it, cutting your grass or doing any of the hundreds of chores you do that a Thai could be paid to do. There by the grace of God go I. 

Actually this topic is about him being arrested for working illegally, the other article regarding the bad conditions was posted later.

The reactions from the people here are somehow justified due to what he did. He clearly came to Thailand to work here, coach clients and get paid. He was aware that doing this on a tourist visa is illegal. He probably also knew that getting caught means being arrested and deported, and there is a good chance he ever heard about the conditions in Thai jails. This is definitely his own fault, and hearing him complain about the conditions in IDC now sounds a bit funny.

Maybe next time he tries to spray some grafitti in Singapore, and then complains about what will happen to him.

If he had been arrested because he helped his girlfriend grill some chicken in her restaurant the people here would condemn him way less.

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Before his deportation, he said he was threatened with kidnapping or that he would "go missing". Harassment allegations were also made against him, without any complaints made or charges laid. He wants to take some time to consider his options, especially given that he has fears for his safety. "Money basically talks there," he says. "And I'm not quite sure what to do yet."

Having said that I doubt it would be a walk through for him on trying to re-enter the country.

Hope they do not know the name of his girlfriend.

28 minutes ago, meechai said:

Sad that these guys get popped for such simple deals & then treated like hard criminals

Says a lot about the host country

There is another cyclist from Chiang Rai that also coaches in many Thai spots... Hope he watches his back

Or has the correct, legal documentation

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, Andrew65 said:

So then you don't work for them and find a proper company who does.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So then you don't work for them and find a proper company who does.

I never worked in Thailand.

Many of these people will do virtually anything to stay in the LOS, sometimes a part of why some people end up getting into trouble there.

I have an old friend of 20 years who is actually a properly qualified teacher who would be better off leaving Thailand and heading back home to sort himself out financially, I actually advised him of that, around the same time that he borrowed 20 Baht off a mutual friend for a motorbike taxi.

I was fortunate enough that all the years that I lived in Thailand I always had plenty of money, I really can't see the point in being there if we're broke and can't enjoy ourselves, as I think we all did when we first went on holiday and were "2 week millionaires"!????

• Like 2