Police struggle to explain away dumping of ID cards, traffic tickets in Nong Plalai

Rimmer

Police struggle to explain away dumping of ID cards, traffic tickets in Nong Plalai

1369-N2-Dec-24-04-Old-ID-card.jpg

PATTAYA:--Banglamung police sparked more questions than they answered while trying to explain how a cache of expired identification cards and old traffic tickets ended up in the woods in Nong Plalai.

Banglamung police chief Pol. Col. Pattanachai Pamornpiboon tried to explain away the dumping of the personal data and government documents as an accident. But why they were on that stretch of road in the first place remains a mystery.

Pattanachai said Royal Thai Police headquarters had ordered the Banglamung station to tidy up to provide more service areas for the public. So had deputy chief Pol. Lt. Col. Samai Somji clean out an unused hallway where boxes upon boxes of old paper documents were stored.

Government regulations require police to retain copies of old traffic tickets, expired ID cards and other government paperwork for 10 years. But, rather than find another storage facility, Samai decided to take expired documents from 2010 and 2011 home to his own house.

See more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/police-struggle-to-explain-away-dumping-of-id-cards-traffic-tickets-in-nong-plalai-282279

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-12-29--

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

ordered the Banglamung station to tidy up to provide more service areas for the public. So had deputy chief Pol. Lt. Col. Samai Somji clean out an unused hallway

More service area for the public.... an unused hallway... sounds about right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Pattanachai said Royal Thai Police headquarters had ordered the Banglamung station to tidy up to provide more service areas for the public.

Perhaps they are expecting more pitiful old British men in wheelchairs to be hanging around the station for days on end.  ????

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Surely they can be copied onto external drives or the "cloud" for storage.

Join the 21st century please

Then off to safe document disposal company.

That is a bit leap for a bureaucracy that requires signed photocopies of anything.

If they accept that logic they might not need to see the same documents every year at immigration (a branch of the police) or at any encounter with any government department.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

That is a bit leap for a bureaucracy that requires signed photocopies of anything.

If they accept that logic they might not need to see the same documents every year at immigration (a branch of the police) or at any encounter with any government department.

Yes, photocopies of anything and everything.

I remember one year when extending my Non B at immigration I had to supply so many documents, of which I had to countersign every single piece of paper. I counted how many times I had to sign my name, it was 150 times.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This multiple signature nonsense also extends to banking. In UK, credit card application, one signature, card delivered within a week. Thailand, between 30 to 40 signatures, card had to be collected from the branch three months later, when they had my 100,000 baht deposit on the first day and they still make me pay it off each month.

Why does this not come as a surprise? 

Pol. Col. Pattanachai Pamornpiboon and his deputy chief Pol. Lt. Col. Samai Somji are ignorant idiots which should properly fined and fired for this. 

Yet, just proved oncemore again, that police is not the solution but one of the main problems of this country - what a disgrace to Thailand and its lovely people! All this in the name of the government ???? 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 11:15 AM, Rimmer said:

So had deputy chief Pol. Lt. Col. Samai Somji clean out an unused hallway where boxes upon boxes of old paper documents were stored.

Sounds like they need to extend the clean-out to a few staff as well !

On 12/29/2019 at 12:11 PM, johng said:

That explains the  mountains of paperwork  you see at most every government office...surely it should be digitised come on its 2 thousand and 20  Thailand 4.0 and all that !!!!

Yes we all agree that Digitisation is the answer.

But if Thailand 4.0 were pursued to the full, thousands would have their trough taken away.

If they insist on paper copies, as they do, then when the "decision maker" enters the decision into the computer data base, the paper files all go into a 30 day bin, separated by origination day, to be destroyed. This gives enough time for the superiors to examine the decisions, if they are interested in doing so, by just going to the "origination day" bin.  

The problem is indexing paper files to computer records. It is space-time-labor intensive. It is not a unique Thai problem. 

to Keep the original paper files requires scanning all paper into a document management system (DMS), which is low-tech, but I would bet, adapting a DMS to Thai would be way down the list of priorities for a worldwide DMS vendor.

21 hours ago, jacko45k said:

At bloody irregular intervals when they are in control of them in the box!

They set them on red to hold up as many vehicles on busy Suk to enable doughnut/flower/umbrella sellers to make sales; then the police get their cut of the takings.

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2019 at 12:11 PM, johng said:

That explains the  mountains of paperwork  you see at most every government office...surely it should be digitised come on its 2 thousand and 20  Thailand 4.0 and all that !!!!

The problem is the Widows 7 operating system currently in use - can't handle the amount of data and no Microsoft updates ????

39 minutes ago, Artisi said:

The problem is the Widows 7 operating system currently in use - can't handle the amount of data and no Microsoft updates ????

How the heck do they maintain Windows 7 surely you are joking?