Thai fluency / intermediate - Border denial?

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

The underlying reason for denying people is that they think these people work in Thailand

In regards to be able to speak Thai:

Positive: You might get some sympathy points from them because you are able to speak Thai

Negative: You spent quite some time in Thailand (no secret, they also see this in their system), and they might think you can speak Thai because you do business in Thailand (I don't know if they are aware that most illegal western workers work as English teachers and usually can't speak Thai)

Imho overall it doesn't make a difference if you are able to speak Thai or not.

When looking at a single entry it could of course matter, maybe an IO totally appreciates it if a foreigner can speak Thai, or he has the fixed opinion that people who can speak Thai work in Thailand. But you won't know this beforehand, so it doesn't matter if you speak Thai with him or not, could go in either direction.

do you speak thai?

It makes such a difference when they start the interrogation and you can calmly explain to them

that you have a passive income (in thai), and that you love their culture (in thai)

If you can't speak thai, you wouldn't be able to articulate those things with so much ease.

Edited by noone223
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes.

They don't understand 'passive income' so they think you're lying and working in Thailand.

Their culture is one of greed and selfishness, they know this, so know you're lying.

'I'm here on holiday', there's nothing else they need to know, or you need to say.

'Passive' income is too general so of course they won't understand.

One should be more specific like I have pension money, dividends, rental income etc . Then they will understand.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

I was always told when speaking to anyone of authority to speak in English, Police, IO, Judge, etc. Not sure if this is true but someone told me a judge could take it as insulting if you speak to them in Thai as you can be indirectly saying they are not intelligent enough to speak english. Likely just hearsay though.

I tend to Wai a lot and speak english very quickly, seems to work at checkpoints around here often enough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes, I have no idea what 'passive income' is and I am English!  I suppose its better then 'aggressive income'.  That might be a bit frightening.  

I am still waiting for our Thai speaking OP to tell me how to say passive income in Thai ????

• Haha 1

I speak well enough Thai to front court by myself yet speaking to immigration in airport never earned me any points or even a smile and they always respond in English . I am on non b though so I do not need to explain myself , can see someone on ED visa speaking Thai to be useful , for the life of me can not see how someone on tourist visa gets out of trouble by speaking fluent enough Thai and yet claim to be a tourist , but I guess on internet everything is possible ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

I am still waiting for our Thai speaking OP to tell me how to say passive income in Thai ????

While at it...in AU. We have saying about friend ask you about blind date. 

So how was she. 

Answer "pretty ugly"

Try translate that. 

• Haha 2

It's a lottery.

If you are unlucky enough to have to deal with an IO who doesn't like falangs at the best of times who also got of bed the wrong side in the morning then you are going to meet a jobsworth just aching for a chance to grill a victim. Language ability will be of no help.

On the other hand if you meet the average IO without an axe to grind then if you speak Thai well they might be more friendly than otherwise and not be too strict.

Whatever.....always helps to keep your cool and be polite and friendly.

They have the power to spoil your day. Remember that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, noone223 said:

do you speak thai?

It makes such a difference when they start the interrogation and you can calmly explain to them

that you have a passive income (in thai), and that you love their culture (in thai)

If you can't speak thai, you wouldn't be able to articulate those things with so much ease.

What interrogation would that be? I'm assuming you are talking about immigration/passport control. I simply hand over my passport. No need for a conversation, a simple thankyou or kkk suffices.

I think the question should be how well does the immigration officers able to understand you in English?

Most should be able to understand your explanation of where you're visiting and where your money came from.... so showing a bit of Thai would only endears you to them...

but I have also seen people that thought they can speak Thai, but no Thai person can understand them and they'd be better off using English 

If they see a history of back to back visits, doing a 'Sawadee Krub' and pretending to be a fresh our of Khao San rd. tourist is not gonna help