Failed "No plastic bag" policy

Trujillo

3 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

The world managed to get along for eons without single-use plastic bags, a very recent technological development.

Problem is the majority here were not alive then! its fine for us to say it can be done, for them - not so easy!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EL159 said:

"UKRules". "I told them to go and get me some bags". And in that small statement we see why some people get the rest of us a bad reputation.

Maybe they should've worn the all inclusive cargo shorts with their expansive pockets and a strong belt to hold them up when loaded.

Saw an entrepreneurial  young fellow outside one of the local 7/11's earlier today. Selling plastic bags purchased from Makro. One bag 1 Baht, 3 bags 2 Baht. Hardly high end products, but was getting an ROI over 250%.

Perhaps this will become more commonplace. Especially if these incidences get posted on social media. Thais aren't the self apologetic drones you encounter in the 1st world nowadays.

Once every 6-8 weeks I do a 'big shop' at Tops or Rimping. Large or heavy items that I wouldn't want to transport on my motorbike, so I use the 'Home Delivery' option these places offer. Yesterday I did an especially large and heavy shop, filling almost two shopping trolleys; kitchen towels, toilet paper, several boxes of tissues, a couple of bags of cat sand, plus laundry products, cleaning supplies, etc., and foods.

When the cashier asked me for my shopping bags, I said I'll be happy to buy the ones you sell. I normally do have my own nylon bags that I've been using all along, but they don't fit the things I was buying... and neither did the ones that they were selling.

... but I told the cashier that as I wanted 'Home Delivery,'  it was OK to put the items in boxes... but there weren't ANY boxes at the counter area. She had to go into the back room to get some. Obviously they hadn't planned for Home Delivery even though it's an option that gets used every day.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:21 PM, Trujillo said:

7-Eleven did not even have a bag to sell me. 

This will only alienate customers. 

Good,I'm tired of having all those customers in front of me when I go in once a month to pay my electric bill anyway.????

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2020 at 8:37 AM, Victornoir said:

Take advantage, it will not last.

All over the world there are people who refuse to change their habits for the common good. There are therefore small temporary arrangements to avoid conflicts.

But sooner or later you will have to forget the non-reusable plastic bags.
Later, this will concern other disposable products such as straws, goblets, bottles etc ... You will also have to accept it after protesting for a while.

The population of the planet doubles every 50 years. This requires a minimum of common sense to adapt.

I don't mind buying a reusable bag, the problem I had was that there were none of the usual type of reusable bag available at the checkout or anywhere else in the store - nothing at all.

They have since started selling a 160 Baht cotton bag at the checkouts in Gourmet Market.

Yesterday I spent about 3000 Baht shopping at Villa where they have plenty of cheap reusable bags stacked at the end of each checkout for 5 Baht each - that's a reasonable approach.

I will be doing nearly all of my shopping at Villa from now on. It doesn't really matter to me which one I go to.

I only spend about 4000-6000 per week while shopping so I'm sure Gourmet Market won't miss me too much as a lowly customer with no say in how things work there.

Edited by ukrules

Shopped at a shop belonging to central, purchase was about 4 k, car far away.

They didn't want to give my any bag or box. When I said I cancel the purchase, a big bag was available.

Sometimes need to push a bit harder to get what you want.

• Like 1

I'm not against issuing plastic bags per se, something has to be done about the garbage problem here. They should however have bags for sale at every checkout for people such as me who have a faulty "Save" button on their brain. There's more chance of me winning the jackpot on the lottery than remembering to take along shopping bags.

• Like 1

About 90% of the products in 7 are in plastic. All of which is a one time use. I like many re-use the plastic bags. This ban on bags is nothing more than big corporations lining their pockets at the customers expense and inconvenience.

Bring back the bags.

• Sad 1

On 1/4/2020 at 5:50 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Big C Extra haven't got enough bag options, i looked earlier right the way along the tills and hardly any choice, typical really. I ended up just carrying the one thing i bought

Went grocery shopping at Big C yesterday, first time since bag ban. Luckily I remembered and took cloth bags but did see a few people trying to juggle arms full of stuff. I would have taken the trolley to the car park.