Pattaya tries again to make drivers stop for pedestrians

Rimmer

5 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

but zebras are there solely for safe crossing of pedestrians....and drivers MUST give way to any person walking on them....IT IS THE LAW!!!

Show me the relevant Thai law wrt zebra crossings!

On 1/6/2020 at 11:20 AM, HHTel said:

See post #76

The law does not say what the the text that has been copied into post #76 from "some 'legal/law firm' sites" claims that the law says.

You may consult the full text of the law here:

Road Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979) amended up to No. 10 B.E. 2557 (2014) - original Thai text

An English translation of it, but not including the last two updates, is here:

Road Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979) - en - amended up to No. 8 (2008)

It is possible that there are newer updates. Please check it on www.krisdika.go.th (The site can't be reached at the moment)

On 1/6/2020 at 9:27 AM, EVENKEEL said:

How about we just leave things as they are and have been, pedestrians cross when safe to do so and cars don't stop for pedestrians except to avoid injuries. How about that, can we please stop trying to enforce western standards upon Thailand.

I arrived back in San Diego and jwalk as I would here. Walk out to little concrete divider and wait for other traffic to pass but the cars come to a screeching halt JHC come on people, just drive, I can see you....just drive and when it's safe I'll cross.

funny just got back from Udon Thani, and near got caught out crossing a duel carriageway, made it halfway across, and waited for all clear...

but sneaky motorcycle going sort of the wrong way on the pavement and as the shop had all sorts of furniture stacked up on the same  ''pavement''

me and the slightly annoyed motorbike rider came within a few feet of a big accident he scowled at me for shouting at him, as if I had no right to get in his way (I do think they think if we are involved in any accident the blame lies surely with us for being here and we should be prosecuted) 

land of smiles died about 12 years ago. (they kept it on ICU for ten years)

• Like 1

pattaya......and the rest of thailand....tries and fails.

well, sure, when the entire project is an 'education' program consisting or PR releases and photoshopped cardboard cutouts.

jinkies!  put some damn cops out there!  take away their cell phones, and make 'em do their damn job for once. 

.....oh, and do install cctv cameras at their assigned locations to ensure they are indeed stopping and ticketing violators instead of fleecing tourists........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Drove down beach road for the first time in years a couple of days ago

What a disaster it is. Down to two lanes at one point, digging up righthand lane.

Slow as hell, decided at one set of pedestrian lights to stop because they were at red. Got headlights flashed at me from behind and dirty looks as they squeezed past me into the next lane to go through the red lights. Lawless idiots and they will never change.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, overherebc said:

decided at one set of pedestrian lights to stop because they were at red

Yes they may have been red ..but where there poeple trying to cross/on the crossing

or had the poeple crossed already ?

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes they may have been red ..but where there poeple trying to cross/on the crossing

or had the poeple crossed already ?

If anyone had walked past the front of me the xxxxx in the car that went past me would have got them fair and square.

Only in Thailand does a red light mean 'stop only if you feel like it'.

X roads T junctions Z crossings a red means stop.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, jacko45k said:

[The driver must comply with traffic signals and traffic signs.] ... arrow, but shall be careful to give way to crossing pedestrians or other vehicles. ... b. within a distance of 30m from a pedestrian crossing, junction, circle (rotary) or railroad crossing

Pedestrian crossing” means the area provided for pedestrians to walk across ... As for the conveyance used on the road, the driver must provide complete ... In giving traffic signal by the competent official under t

On 1/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, jacko45k said:

Pedestrian crossing types should be rationalised, and education should be ... of drivers are not aware that they must give way to pedestrians (Cassell et al. ... There are a few researches with pedestrian and driver interaction in Thailand, almost ... how familiar road users are with traffic regulati

7 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

[The driver must comply with traffic signals and traffic signs.] ... arrow, but shall be careful to give way to crossing pedestrians or other vehicles. ... b. within a distance of 30m from a pedestrian crossing, junction, circle (rotary) or railroad crossing

Pedestrian crossing” means the area provided for pedestrians to walk across ... As for the conveyance used on the road, the driver must provide complete ... In giving traffic signal by the competent official under t

My point really was 'zebra crossings' as per UK aren't really a Thai thing.

Hilarious....Thailand and certain other locations in Southeast Asia, continue to insist that vehicles have the right of way. Contrary to every other civilized nation in the world. "I have a CAR....therefore I can run over you with no consequences."  Brilliant. ????

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 7:24 PM, Rimmer said:

In a Jan. 3 statement, city hall said accidents largely are the fault of careless drivers who just blow through the red lights at crossing signals and don’t yield to tourists used to western road regulations that give pedestrians the right of way.

Careless? Ignorant! A red light is a red light, even in TiT! Try fining and banning them, trebling the fine and extending the ban if they are caught driving whilst banned.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 7:34 PM, DannyCarlton said:

No mention of pedestrian crossings that aren't controlled by lights.

these are called PELICAN CROSSINGS.....ones that are cotrolled by lights, that is.....

I would have thought that the whole write up is about crossings without lights.....

Edited by tinca tinca
after thought

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 7:05 AM, soistalker said:

You would first need to teach Thais compassion for humans. You would also need to put every Thai back in kindergarten so they can learn to share the road. For f^&is sake, the only things you need to do to get out of kindergarten are to be able to SHARE, and to snap Graham Crackers into equal pieces.

I'm sure Thais can be taught about the Graham Crackers....the sharing part? No way.

Does this word " share " actually exist in the Thai language  ?